SEC TOURNAMENT TAMPA.... WHY ?

SEC tabs St. Louis, Tampa for tournament

Tampa previously hosted the SEC tournament in 2009 -- amid down years for basketball powers Florida and Kentucky -- and didn't fill the venue.
SEC commissioner Mike Slive says, ''We think that was an anomaly and we can get the kind of support that we want.''

Good business strategy.
Yeah, I am not as confident as the former SEC commissioner. But he signed the contract. I bet it was more expensive to get out of the contract than to just show up and never go back.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I look at Bridgestone arena the way fans cry about Duke and North Carolina playing first and second round games in NC during the NCAA tourny. Tennessee and Vandy shouldnt always get what is basically a home court crowd. Hopefully this helps our guys get accustomed to the true NCAA type environment and we make a deep run.

I look at Bridgestone arena the way fans cry about Duke and North Carolina playing first and second round games in NC during the NCAA tourny. Tennessee and Vandy shouldnt always get what is basically a home court crowd. Hopefully this helps our guys get accustomed to the true NCAA type environment and we make a deep run.

Barn and GA are closest to Atlanta. Bama is the closest to Hoover.

I doubt that there’s that much opposition from most SEC fans. TN hasn’t won in over 40 years. Vandy has only won in 1951 and 2012 and has never been runner up. It’s not far from Lexington, and it’s a nice, late winter vacation spot for the rest of the footprint. Southwest flights aren’t expensive either. Other large cities are going to be a long way from the SEC cities.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
Doesn’t matter where the tournament is held, Duke and Carolina have home field advantage.

Doesn’t matter where it is held, Kentucky fans take over the city.
This is almost true. 2019 in Bridgestone, UT more than held its own UK in Nashville and we kicked some Wildcat butt ( not exactly kicked butt but great comeback by Admiral, Alexander and Bone if my memory is correct fueled by a loud UT contingent).

I know it’s a crazy desire…but I’d love to see us play at the coliseum in Greensboro, NC…where the ACC tourney used to be played every year. I’d love to get some good SEC basketball in ACC country.

Wish it was in the budget to go stay a few nights @ The Sandpearl on CWB & drive over to Tampa
& watch the Vols cut down the SECT nets for the 2nd time in my 44 years . I was 13 months old in ‘79 so I don’t really remember the last one very well.

Nashville and Atlanta should be the only places that host. Those are the two most central big cities for the SEC. It would cost me about $150-$200 in gas alone to make the trip to Tampa round trip. Compared to closer to $30-50 round trip for Atlanta or Nashville. Sorry but that’s too much for me.
@skasper This guy can help.

Wish it was in the budget to go stay a few nights @ The Sandpearl on CWB & drive over to Tampa
& watch the Vols cut down the SECT nets for the 2nd time in my 44 years . I was 13 months old in ‘79 so I don’t really remember the last one very well.
That’s a great 5 star resort.

Reactions: Jravol78
Exactly................:rolleyes:
And why is the OVC Tournament in Evansville, IN????:mad:
Other than the crap shoot weather, Evansville has one of the best "small" arenas in the entire nation. The Ford Center is a great, great place to see a game and the surrounding amenities are top notch as well.

Other than the crap shoot weather, Evansville has one of the best "small" arenas in the entire nation. The Ford Center is a great, great place to see a game and the surrounding amenities are top notch as well.
It’s really nice and so is the University of Evansville (I came close to going there,) but there’s what, one OVC school in Indiana. Nashville or Louisville are the only places it should be.

With the OVC dead in the water, it doesn’t really matter anyway

Reactions: IndianaVol
Winning the NCAA tournament would be great but seems impossible.

We can’t even win the SEC tournament! I’ve watched for years, and we always get the worst breaks! Especially when playing Kentucky!

If we win in Tampa every one in this thread should sign up to have it there again!

Reactions: MAD
Drove back to Knoxville from Sarasota Sunday - what a slog. Big delays in an around ATL..ugh. And no telling what gas prices will be next week...

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Pretty sure after this year it will be in Nashville every year thru 2035. UK fans are already saving up their money.

VN Store

Back