SEC TOURNAMENT TAMPA.... WHY ?

SPRINGHILLVOL

Very convenient location for Knoxville Vol fans only 1340 miles round trip -Knoxville - Tampa. Not bad for Texas A&M fans only 2150 miles round trip. Kentucky round trip only 1610 miles round trip. Why in the heck did SEC office choose Tampa as tournament site ?

Very convenient location for Knoxville Vol fans only 1340 miles round trip -Knoxville - Tampa. Not bad for Texas A&M fans only 2150 miles round trip. Kentucky round trip only 1610 miles round trip. Why in the heck did SEC office choose Tampa as tournament site ?
Were you planning on walking?

Selfishly, I liked the tournament in Nashville. Birmingham is about as central as you can get it, but I’m glad it’s not there..

Agreed; Nashville, Atlanta, St. Louis, Memphis and New Orleans all make significantly more sense than Tampa from a travel standpoint. Luckily, the next five or six are scheduled for Bridgestone so this year is just one minor inconvenience.

I wondered the same thing. Maybe not as boldly as you did, but...yeah.

The geographic center of the SEC is just across the Alabama-MS border right off I-22. The tourney could be held in Birmingham but the BJCC is a dump, Memphis (Calipari and UK would never approve it being there) or Nashville. Nashville is just the best choice currently.

Allegiant flys direct Knoxville to Tampa but you’ve already missed out on the $40 flights each way

Reactions: b_gann and berryvol

When you consider all the amenities, location, etc., it's hard to beat Nashville.

Exactly................:rolleyes:
And why is the OVC Tournament in Evansville, IN????:mad:

SEC tabs St. Louis, Tampa for tournament

Tampa previously hosted the SEC tournament in 2009 -- amid down years for basketball powers Florida and Kentucky -- and didn't fill the venue.
SEC commissioner Mike Slive says, ''We think that was an anomaly and we can get the kind of support that we want.''

Good business strategy.

After this year, I believe it is in Nashville every year until at least 2035, so I'd say that works out pretty well for us overall.

Exclusive: SEC basketball tournament to stay in Nashville through 2035

Last edited:
If memory serves me right they have it contracted in a way where mens tournament moves once every 5 seasons so the women's tournament can be in Nashville. When they are our of Nashville I assume the SEC office goes with the best proposal a city will offer. Tampa won out.

Nashville and Atlanta should be the only places that host. Those are the two most central big cities for the SEC. It would cost me about $150-$200 in gas alone to make the trip to Tampa round trip. Compared to closer to $30-50 round trip for Atlanta or Nashville. Sorry but that’s too much for me.

Reactions: kcvols1
That’s when we made it to the final
yeah, i remember the tournament itself. just didnt remember that it was played in tampa.

the only tournament i really remember not being in nashville was '08 when Sundiata Gaines went beast mode and UGA won it all in Atlanta.

Maybe it will limit some Ky fans attending?

Nashville and Atlanta should be the only places that host. Those are the two most central big cities for the SEC. It would cost me about $150-$200 in gas alone to make the trip to Tampa round trip. Compared to closer to $30-50 round trip for Atlanta or Nashville. Sorry but that’s too much for me.
And that's if you're getting ~40 mpg.

Reactions: VolPack22

VN Store

Back