College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Juwan Howard knows about calling timeouts late in a blowout.

FMGO7sKXMAM93Ws

More likely mad as hornets. Kids that age don’t generally get exhausted after playing a couple of games over a couple of days.
Yeah, people on the board seem to think these are 60 year old cancer patients playing basketball. These are 19 year old kids that could play five games a day. Remember when Florida was supposed to be tired and lay down. They gave us all we wanted. We should beat them easy because they are not good and that's it.

Yeah, people on the board seem to think these are 60 year old cancer patients playing basketball. These are 19 year old kids that could play five games a day. Remember when Florida was supposed to be tired and lay down. They gave us all we wanted. We should beat them easy because they are not good and that's it.
I think it's a little disingenuous to believe that simply being 19 years old exempts them from fatigue, even at a minor level, especially when the team they are playing against is a team of 19 year olds who weren't subject to playing 3 games in 5 days. There has to be some advantage for Tennessee in that aspect, however large or small is a matter of debate.

That level of fatigue for Mizzou is perhaps neutralized by the idea that Tennessee had to travel to Fayette-Nam on Friday, play against Arkansas, then travel back to Knoxville on Saturday, quick turnaround and travel to Columbia, MO on Monday, and play on Tuesday. Unsure whether classes at Tennessee are out for President's Day, or not, but it would have been nice for Tennessee to be able to travel to Mizzou directly from Arkansas and eliminate a lot of the back and forth.

I think it's a little disingenuous to believe that simply being 19 years old exempts them from fatigue, even at a minor level, especially when the team they are playing against is a team of 19 year olds who weren't subject to playing 3 games in 5 days. There has to be some advantage for Tennessee in that aspect, however large or small is a matter of debate.

That level of fatigue for Mizzou is perhaps neutralized by the idea that Tennessee had to travel to Fayette-Nam on Friday, play against Arkansas, then travel back to Knoxville on Saturday, quick turnaround and travel to Columbia, MO on Monday, and play on Tuesday. Unsure whether classes at Tennessee are out for President's Day, or not, but it would have been nice for Tennessee to be able to travel to Mizzou directly from Arkansas and eliminate a lot of the back and forth.
It's possible that it could impact the game late but the idea that these kids will be too tired to play is laughable.

Love the idea of direct travel. Hope that is the routing they chose.

Reactions: cncchris33
I mean, yeah. No one is expecting them to just lay down

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that Mizzou is going to be “too tired to play” lol. But, it’s not unreasonable to suggest that their schedule recently will have some impact on how fresh players can be.

Hell, a good portion of NBA players don’t even play the full 82 game season anymore and have built in rest days when they go on stretches like this.

I'm really getting tired of people using the excuse of "defending themselves" to justify them being violent. Go pound sand. In this instance Howard was in zero danger of anything happening to him. If he had a punch thrown at him, ok punch away. But someone simply grabbing your arm to stop you from moving on when you're being a giant baby and were just going to ignore him isn't you being physically attacked.

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that Mizzou is going to be “too tired to play” lol. But, it’s not unreasonable to suggest that their schedule recently will have some impact on how fresh players can be.

Hell, a good portion of NBA players don’t even play the full 82 game season anymore and have built in rest days when they go on stretches like this.

NBA outcomes are definitely affected when teams play back to back games, and the lines are adjusted for it, too.

NBA outcomes are definitely affected when teams play back to back games, and the lines are adjusted for it, too.

Exactly. These athletes might be in peak condition, but even they are not immune to wear and tear. It happens in every sport. In baseball, relievers typically can throw on back to back days, but then they are given several days rest. I don't expect Mizzou to lay down, but I do expect them to be worn down a bit in the 2nd half tomorrow night, and I hope we can take advantage of it.

Meanwhile Illinois is at 15th with 4 losses to unranked teams. UT beats a top 5 team and loses on the road to now an 18th ranked Arkansas team that's on fire and just beat #1 the week before. UT SOS is #3 and IMO should be ranked in the top 15, like every single metric suggests. Bama has 10 losses and is still ranked, although they do have the #1 SOS. UT wouldn't be with 10 losses, no matter the schedule.

Meanwhile Illinois is at 15th with 4 losses to unranked teams. UT beats a top 5 team and loses on the road to now an 18th ranked Arkansas team that's on fire and just beat #1 the week before. UT SOS is #3 and IMO should be ranked in the top 15, like every single metric suggests. Bama has 10 losses and is still ranked, although they do have the #1 SOS. UT wouldn't be with 10 losses, no matter the schedule.
Alabama was 25. Beat a mediocre MS State at home by 5, lost to a hobbled Kentucky by 9, moved up a spot. I know it’s dependent on what teams around them do but cmon. They are still benefiting in reputation from last season

Alabama was 25. Beat a mediocre MS State at home by 5, lost to a hobbled Kentucky by 9, moved up a spot. I know it’s dependent on what teams around them do but cmon. They are still benefiting in reputation from last season

They have 10 losses. Next closest is Texas with 8. Crazy they are still ranked.

Monday Notable Games:

(16-9) Indiana at 916-7) #22 Ohio State 7pm/FS1
(12-14) Louisville at (19-8) North Carolina 7pm/ESPN

I mean, yeah. No one is expecting them to just lay down
Right. I was more referring to the comments made before the Florida game. Several were saying it would be an easy blowout but instead we probably got one of their best efforts of the season. Missouri is not very good but I expect them to lay it all on the line against us too.

Last edited:
Right. I was more referring to the comments made before the Florida game. Several were saying it would be an easy blowout but instead we probably got one of their best efforts of the season. Missouri is not very good but I expect them to lay it all on the line against us too.
Hmm, I don’t remember what the situation was with Florida
I agree Missouri won’t be a big blowout. If we win by 10 I’ll be impressed, probably an ugly game that we pull away with down the stretch

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We are ranked ahead of four teams that beat us. We’ve lost all of our meaningful games away from home. We are getting plenty of respect from the pollsters.

This is Mizzour's 4th game in 8 days and their 3rd game in 5 days. (Ark, MS, MS, and TN). That is brutal.
We are playing our 3rd game in 7 days (KY, Ark, MZ)
Add, we have some frustration and extra determination to atone for our poor showing on Saturday ... I suspect we are looking at something like a 20 pt win.
No, I am not dismissing Mizzouri! They are not a great offensive team and they are going to be leg weary - that hurts both your offense and your defense!
They could have some strong motivation coming off of a narrow loss to MS on Sunday. If it was a normal schedule, I would project around a 10 win.

USC moves past us with 2 unremarkable wins. 🙄
Yep, and last night's being on a last-second shot to win. I'm a little less outraged, this week, as at some point you have to acknowledge their overall record and the fact that they only hold one bad loss. They have two defining moments coming up against AZ (on the road) and UCLA (at home). Win those two and I'll be more convinced. Lose them and the rankings hopefully take care of themselves.

As for us, just win baby!

We are ranked ahead of four teams that beat us. We’ve lost all of our meaningful games away from home. We are getting plenty of respect from the pollsters.
We also have the second best pair of wins in the country and not a single bad loss. One of our losses came without our PG and center by 5 points on the road to a ranked team. Nobody is saying top 5 but it's noteworthy our projected seed has constantly been ahead of our AP rank this season

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back