McGraw and Staley on Uconn bias

Not endorsing it as right or wrong but i understand..... UConn certainly was dominant to the point that when you are promoting a sport which (face it) needs promotion..... you must connect on a level of consciousness..... and folks who knew of Delta State and Old Dominion in the old days, USC in the 80s and us in the 90s are going to be drawn to network marketing 5 to 10 years later.....

Remember when not long ago..... the NFL promoted Brett Favre to a disgusting degree..... and Green Bay had 1 Super Bowl win under Favre..... U of Texas has had 1 nattie in last 52 years..... Notre Dame has had 1 in last 45 years..... and they get the benefit of promotion to a grand degree.

Yes in WCBB Notre Dame Stanford and Baylor all have been at the top for an extended period and deserve more promotion. But I do not begrudge the networks (all of them) for using UConn as bait to promote their telecasts

“There was a definite bias,” McGraw says of Auriemma’s tenure at Team USA. “There was an itinerary for the UConn players and there was an itinerary for the other players, and they were treated differently if they did make the team.”

If this is true, this is damning and no amount of doublespeak can justify it. But the entire Olympic clown car was damning, so it's not surprising.

In my opinion, ESPN's influence and impact on the sport is unmistakable and how anyone could miss the benefit UConn's had by being the golden child of ESPN coverage is beyond me.

All I can say is Great job to wat Geno has done at Uconn. But, Espn should spray the love to other programs. Yesterday, I read on ESPN that, "despite Uconn missing key players they were able to blow TN away". But, they never mentioned that TN is missing 2 key players. I guarantee u that most ppl can't really say which teams are top #5 in the poll. In men's game is not like that. Take a look and tell me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210-201515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-201515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: Harvey Peak
Geno had the road for him paved for him by the real pioneers of women’s basketball and ESPN has certainly used it’s clout to feather the ole boys nest. After the way he treated Pat and Candace he and ESPN can both pound sand. I’d like to see the pompous narcissist play the entire SEC schedule for one year and then hear Auriemma and ESPN’s excuses.

Geno had the road for him paved for him by the real pioneers of women’s basketball and ESPN has certainly used it’s clout to feather the ole boys nest. After the way he treated Pat and Candace he and ESPN can both pound sand. I’d like to see the pompous narcissist play the entire SEC schedule for one year and then hear Auriemma and ESPN’s excuses.

He prably loose 10 games.

When I commented on this issue after I read her initial words in December. I got jumped because what I wrote was perceived that I was telling Muffet should "sit down and be quiet". I never said that, just that it's best if she keeps her thoughts private. I still believe it's better if coaches don't go there no matter who is doing the talking but never said "sit down and be quiet". She of course has the right to speak her mind, I just think it's better to not broadcast one's feelings because it simply looks like she's bitter. I would say this to any coach who made comments about the heavily covered programs in any sport and regardless of their gender. That being said, this time her words were either reported or phrased a little more delicately and did not seem to come from a place of resentment.

Geno's success speaks for itself and McGraw had a great deal herself. Both coaches no doubt worked very hard to get where they did. I've always believed UConn got a lot of love from ESPN that was originally due to their geographic location. However their success made it tough to switch the focus to other teams and programs. Other coaches no doubt got frustrated at their exposure whenever there are several other great programs out there but none have 11 titles and have gone to 13 straight FFs. It will take more teams consistently winning titles and reaching those levels to get the attention off UConn and placed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sour grapes. McGraw doesn't like male coaches in women's basketball. She admitted that herself. She's not alone in that regard. Her last male assistant was in 2012, I believe. Had a token male as video coordinator or in some other minor role occasionally since. I suspect that having to play Auriemma's teams may have had something to do with her attitude toward men in women's basketball.

I agree. If UCONN was in the SEC they would not have been be a perrenial #1 seed with their path to the Final Four paved with gold. He has produced some great teams (with constant top ranked players feeding the system) but no way would they have 11 titles had they been in the SEC. JMO

Several years ago (and I do mean several) I was watching one of UConn’s televised games and as the women were walking back to the bench, Geno was giving them a slap on the fanny. This was common for coaches in men’s sports but that was the only time I remember seeing a male coach do that to female players. I never saw him do that again. I figured someone called him out on that. But, he received no backlash I am aware of, from any sportscasters, etc.

Sour grapes. McGraw doesn't like male coaches in women's basketball. She admitted that herself. She's not alone in that regard. Her last male assistant was in 2012, I believe. Had a token male as video coordinator or in some other minor role occasionally since. I suspect that having to play Auriemma's teams may have had something to do with her attitude toward men in women's basketball.

Maybe she doesn't like A-holes?

Reactions: tchristensen22
Several years ago (and I do mean several) I was watching one of UConn’s televised games and as the women were walking back to the bench, Geno was giving them a slap on the fanny. This was common for coaches in men’s sports but that was the only time I remember seeing a male coach do that to female players. I never saw him do that again. I figured someone called him out on that. But, he received no backlash I am aware of, from any sportscasters, etc.

Have fun with these:

Why did Geno Auriemma pat Baylor coach's butt? (PHOTO)

Attachments

• Kim.jpg
    Kim.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 25
As a Vol fan, I find all this constant carping about UConn rather embarrassing. The undercurrent seems to be: Well, if you UConn wasn't doing this or that, we'd still be winning championships. Wrong. Fact is, UT hasn't been a serious title contender for about 15 years--and that's been because of us, not because of UConn or ESPN or the refs or anything else. We haven't been good enough. We hired the wrong coach after Summitt retired. This constant whining about UConn makes UT fans look petty. The bottom line is that we need to be better---recruit better, coach better, play better. If we do that--and that's a big IF, still--we'll be a serious title contender again. Let's worry about ourselves and stop acting small.

You are so right. What would his record be if he coached in the SEC. He played teams 75% of the time that the lowest team in the SEC could easily beat

I agree. If UCONN was in the SEC they would not have been be a perrenial #1 seed with their path to the Final Four paved with gold. He has produced some great teams (with constant top ranked players feeding the system) but no way would they have 11 titles had they been in the SEC. JMO

You can make the argument that they would not still have winning streaks of 111, 90, and 70 games, but saying that they would not have won 11 championships because they had tougher competition during the year is a bit of a stretch. With the rosters they had, and a tougher schedule during the year, you could even make the argument that they would have had more championships. A rising tide rises all ships. Tennessee was able to win 46 in a row and 8 championships playing in the SEC, what is the difference?

The "old" big east with Louisville and Notre Damn used to send 6-7 teams to the tournament each year. There were at least two years where both teams playing for the championship came from the Big East, with two other years where the championship game included Notre Damn which had just left the Big East.

Some "facts" to consider:

UConn is 22-3 all-time in No. 1 vs. No. 2 games, including nine wins in a row — and all nine came by at least 10 points, so during that stretch they were pretty good against good competition.

During the 111 game winning streak alone they won 29 games against ranked teams. This was 29% of their games, which, to use Tennessee this year as a comparison, they will play/have played 31% of their games against ranked opponents. 108 of the 111 games had a winning margin of more than ten points. Against SEC teams during this stretch they won by scores of 39, 25, 46, 12, 60, 23, 11 showing that the bottom of either conference was not going to be a challenge.

In one season alone they beat 11 ranked teams. "UConn's nonconference schedule was unforgiving." UConn knocked off No. 12 Florida State, No. 2 Baylor, No. 15 DePaul, No. 14 Texas, No. 2 Notre Dame, No. 12 Ohio State, No. 4 Maryland, No. 20 USF and No. 6 South Carolina in the regular season. In the NCAA tournament, the Huskies dispatched No. 21 Syracuse and No. 15 UCLA. Nine (9) wins over top five opponents. The Huskies beat then-No. 2 Baylor, then-No. 2 Notre Dame and then-No. 4 Maryland this season alone.

Speculate all you wish, but during their most dominating stretch, they were dominating against pretty much everybody. Thankfully women's basketball has gotten considerably more even with much more parity.

Last edited:
Not endorsing it as right or wrong but i understand..... UConn certainly was dominant to the point that when you are promoting a sport which (face it) needs promotion..... you must connect on a level of consciousness..... and folks who knew of Delta State and Old Dominion in the old days, USC in the 80s and us in the 90s are going to be drawn to network marketing 5 to 10 years later.....

Remember when not long ago..... the NFL promoted Brett Favre to a disgusting degree..... and Green Bay had 1 Super Bowl win under Favre..... U of Texas has had 1 nattie in last 52 years..... Notre Dame has had 1 in last 45 years..... and they get the benefit of promotion to a grand degree.

Yes in WCBB Notre Dame Stanford and Baylor all have been at the top for an extended period and deserve more promotion. But I do not begrudge the networks (all of them) for using UConn as bait to promote their telecasts
It’s not the broadcast time at all. USC, UT, any of the SEC schools get a huge advantage in broadcast coverage. What bothers me are the superfluous headlines on both the ESPN WCBB and wnba platforms.

It’s almost like Geno made an agreement with the NCAA to avoid a messy situation after Pat told him to FO. Little national coverage was the penalty. They have a great regional contract with SNY/FOX

I've wondered if a lesbian female coach slaps one of her players on the fanny, would that be considered inappropriate?

VN Store

Back