Keyen Green

I don't think Striplin gets extensive minutes in any way shape or form. I believe you will see Key, as long as she stays away from fouling, play an increased number of minutes. Keyen was only averaging 14 per game. Key can play another 5-10 in close games. And I would be Coach Harper goes with a small but more experienced lineup in the approx. 10 minutes that Key is not on the court.
Step inside my post traumatic LV brain. Increased minutes for Key? I'm worried she'll have even less, be in foul trouble even more. So I'm planning for her new sub. That's where I'm seeing Striplin mins. Also as you said the small lineup of 2 Jordans, Rae, Dye, and Tess/Puckett in certain situations could work.

Will need to be both i don`t think you can just throw Striplin into the fire and now say put it out ? I don`t think so, That will be asking a lot from someone who has played very little this season.

Emily just needs to re-find the beast she showed she CAN be in the last game...and for longer periods

Well we play Auburn next, Striplin or Saunders better find confidence there because we won't have many more gimmes on the schedule in February and beyond.

She showed she can sub last game,,,time for Em to be a big !

Saunders should be playing at a small college.

Darth?

That goes even doubly so for Saunders. She's played even less than Karoline.

This really just means that Tamari will have to play more minutes and has to be more mindful about early foul trouble...because at least Green was able to hold her own even against opposing starting posts. Maybe not the defensive presence of Key, but she was still a strong presence down low and she is mobile....which isn't my impression of Striplin or Saunders from what I've seen. Striplin looks strong as hell, but she needs to be lighter on her feet. Saunders...I don't know.

I think both EM and Karo will surprise people,,,remember, this is not the staff of yesterday,,,The players actually give a dam about this staff...and should!

I usually fear the worst when one of our players get injured, but I must have been in some type of denial because I wasn't expecting this. Honestly, I actually that the first post was some type of joke in poor taste even though I wouldn't have expected that from the poster. When I saw the official release posted it was just as KJH described her reaction: "a gut punch". I concur with all the positive comments made on this thread about how valuable she was to the team as a leader, a much needed backup for Keys, and just a wonderful personality. Moving forward, I had to remind myself that the team goals don't need to be changed. We did well without Rae and will figure out a way to do well without Kenyen. I do think that some of this falls on Key's shoulders to play wise in terms of fouls. She will need extra minutes but only for the games that stay competitive. We can still have a remarkable season and be one of the top programs on the rise.

Emily just needs to re-find the beast she showed she CAN be in the last game...and for longer periods

Darth?

I think both EM and Karo will surprise people,,,remember, this is not the staff of yesterday,,,The players actually give a dam about this staff...and should!
They both had some decent games against the weak teams Tennessee played early in the season. But in SEC play?

Saunders - 6 games, 13 minutes, 1-1 from the field, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists.
Striplin - 5 games, 19 minutes, 0-4 from the field, 0-2 on FT, 2 rebounds, 0 assists.

As a coach, don't you think it's difficult to expect players to do something they haven't done all season? I hope the fans are not too tough on these players if they struggle in their new roles.

Reactions: mcannon1
I think our chances at a national championship just took a big hit. Green has provided valuable minutes in support of Key. There’s zero chances we make it through 6 ncaa tournament games with Key out of foul trouble… and we’re a different team when Key is out of the game. This injury sucks and my inner pessimist is coming out.

next man up ,,, this team gets it

Darth?

Darth is out buying drinks for everyone at J Alexander’s on West End. Emily and Karo will continue his misery.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
They both had some decent games against the weak teams Tennessee played early in the season. But in SEC play?

Saunders - 6 games, 13 minutes, 1-1 from the field, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists.
Striplin - 5 games, 19 minutes, 0-4 from the field, 0-2 on FT, 2 rebounds, 0 assists.

As a coach, don't you think it's difficult to expect players to do something they haven't done all season? I hope the fans are not too tough on these players if they struggle in their new roles.
BBN you know I do not hate on you. But I feel like this is a blow we are just now processing. Would be better to not predict struggles and then bad behavior by the posters here. Let’s just wait and see.

BBN you know I do not hate on you. But I feel like this is a blow we are just now processing. Would be better to not predict struggles and then bad behavior by the posters here. Let’s just wait and see.
I didn't predict struggles. I said IF they struggle.

It's really really hard to come in and perform at a high level against tough teams when you haven't had to do that all season. It's just being realistic. Maybe they will surprise like Coach Jumper said.

Let's just wait and see is a fair thing to say. I'll do that.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo

perfectly put and way to use patience!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
next man up ,,, this team gets it

A nice sound bite--but nothing more than that. No amount of rah-rah and "getting it" means nothing if you don't have a player of equivalent talent to replace the one you've lost. We don't, unfortunately, so It means playing a smaller lineup more and everyone playing a bit better to take up the slack. It probably means increasing Key's minutes--but not by much as having her in the game, and not tired, at the end of games will be paramount.

Reactions: glv98
A nice sound bite--but nothing more than that. No amount of rah-rah and "getting it" means nothing if you don't have a player of equivalent talent to replace the one you've lost. We don't, unfortunately, so It means playing a smaller lineup more and everyone playing a bit better to take up the slack. It probably means increasing Key's minutes--but not by much as having her in the game, and not tired, at the end of games will be paramount.

no rah rah needed we have a staff that can compensate ... we will leave the rah rah up to Keyen and Marta from the bench and the coaching adjustments up to kellie and company.

Keyen Green - 6'1"

Karoline Striplin - 6'3"
Sara Buckett - 6'2"
Emily Saunders - 6'5"

smaller lineup?

the opposite...as a coach, I don't even want the player on my bench if they don't think they can get the job done...Look at Tess. I wrote her off. Wasn't alone. "She can do it in practice but not in a game". Coach K's confidence trumped my instinct...All players get opportunities..and even this is something you coach. You don't just shove them on the floor and say go prove yourself,,,you give them measurable and immeasurable tasks and tell them to go do that!

One thing we all have to understand and accept is that the staff is only allowed so many hours a week to work with players per NCAA rules.

Yes, there are some top programs that routinely bend that rule, and others that flat-out flip the proverbial bird at that rule. But Kellie won’t be in either of those groups.

So it will be important for Emily and Karoline to do some work during the precious-few hours of “free time” these dedicated students can spare.

The task at hand is huge, no doubt. I don’t know what their class loads are, so I don’t know if extra gym time is possible. These kids aren’t machines.

My HOPE, of course, is that they will be okay in their new roles. No one is going to expect either of them to win MOP in the SEC Tournament, but if the two of them can dig deep and do well enough to take some of the pressure off of Key, they will be goddesses to be worshiped by us all. 😀

Saunders should be playing at a small college.
She has had some really productive minutes last season and the one before, she has a nice offensive shot, a solid frame, she needs to stay under the net on D, she just isn't quick, this yr her stats per minute aren't as good. She is just not a shot in first 15 sec of clock, up and down the court player. Key has always been a Glory Johnson foul machine, It has always been imperative that she gets that under control, hopefully she really takes it to heart now. Now. But we've got plenty coming off the bench and can run many different lineups. Our biggest worry is still getting the ball up the court. Jordan seems to be the only one I trust bringing it up under pressure

Well, there weren’t many of those times, but you’re right, I don’t know that it was so much deferring to Kaiya, as it was more once anyone passed Kaiya the ball, she would go attempt a layup.

lol

Yeah, I get the sense that someone in her life has instructed Kaiya to make the very most of her minutes by getting a shot off if she gets possession.

KW is ANYthing but shy about going for it, and while that instinct isn’t always working out for the best right now, I absolutely LOVE her aggressive scorer mindset. I am 100% confident Wynn will become a nightmare for opponents. She’s just trying too hard, for now, to earn more minutes. The minutes will come because she is going to be amazing. Kaiya and her friends/family just need to trust the process. 😀

I usually fear the worst when one of our players get injured, but I must have been in some type of denial because I wasn't expecting this. Honestly, I actually that the first post was some type of joke in poor taste even though I wouldn't have expected that from the poster. When I saw the official release posted it was just as KJH described her reaction: "a gut punch". I concur with all the positive comments made on this thread about how valuable she was to the team as a leader, a much needed backup for Keys, and just a wonderful personality. Moving forward, I had to remind myself that the team goals don't need to be changed. We did well without Rae and will figure out a way to do well without Kenyen. I do think that some of this falls on Key's shoulders to play wise in terms of fouls. She will need extra minutes but only for the games that stay competitive. We can still have a remarkable season and be one of the top programs on the rise.

Amen!!!!!!

Okay, we have had enough chicken little-ing (which is an under appreciated stage of grief).

Striplin has more talent than she has shown. Some extended game minutes will be beneficial for her.

I don't expect a lot of scoring but she will deliver rebounds and solid defense. Her main problem has been hanging on to the ball when in the post. That is a fixable mistake and it will get fixed. On paper, losing Rae was a more significant loss to the team than Keyen (no offense to Keyen but we are talking about the player the entire team was going to be built around). The LVs adapted to that loss and they will adapt to this set back.

Last edited:
This was my thought. Zero extra incentive.

Well, not exactly. Yes, Tamari has played the entire season knowing one of every opponent's primary goals was to get her into early foul trouble so that she has to play with a lot less aggressiveness and confidence for as much of the game as they could dictate. But even though it was true that Key had to take it down a notch or two once she got some fouls, Tamari always knew that Keyen, an uber-seasoned veteran, had her back.

For a star player who is under a lot of pressure to help her team win games, there is a palpable difference between going to the bench for a bit KNOWING your mature backup is likely to hold down the fort while you're out, and going to the bench HOPING your far less experienced backup can get it done.

I'm not saying Emily and Karo can't get it done, but the new reality of not having Keyen to lean is almost certainly going to affect Key.

VN Store

Back