Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 63 - (13/13) Georgia 55

I think Rae starts only if Tamari is out, based on last game and the minutes she played, I think it's bout time she starts.

I will be in the minority here but you know I don't care. If I am Kellie I start Emily. (Hear me out). You can't have Keyen or Dye (imo) picking up early fouls and sitting on the bench because they both have shown an ability to score in the post against taller players due to their incredible mobility and footwork on the box. Emily is a big body who can lean up against Stati, she wont stop her but she will make her work.

Starting Rae also makes Georgia have to decide who to put Que on. Last year Que was able to really get into Rennia's head at times and I don't feel she would be able to do that against Horston or Rae. I think you go Walker, Rae, Horston, Dye, Emily and make Keyen the 1st sub for Emily after about 2 minutes in and Puckett and BK in around the 4 minute mark for Snoop and Walker. Rae and Horston would play the entire 1st quarter unless they are in foul trouble. Tess will come in if Georgia goes to a zone.

I know this all is wishful thinking and unlikely to happen, but I feel as we continue to build Emily's confidence (and this would be a huge confidence builder) she could be someone we could count on to provide quality minutes when we are likely to need her the most (SC and LSU)

Per Emily, I think the issue has less to do with her confidence than a lack of mobility, which is less of problem for some games than others. Georgia is one where that would be a liability. If no TK, then Green. I also think, if Tamari can't play, we will see more of the small ball line-up that Kellie used briefly against KY, where Dye becomes the de facto post with the Jordans, Rae, and Tess or Sara.

If Key Plays, I think we win by 15-25

If not, I see this being a low scoring grind, still slightly favoring us.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Based on our previous games this season I have a feeling we will spot Staiti hers to a certain extent. Their role players like Barker are going to have a really tough night I suspect. Goal for Morrison should be to hold her to 10 or less. Staiti can have her 15.

If everyone else has fewer than 5 points there is no way they can beat us.

Their role players beat us last season in Knoxville. No way someone like Davenport should have 8 points. We were so game planned for Staiti and she had a horrible night and got benched. We didn’t adjust our game plan after she went out though.

In Athens we had a terrible shooting night but that’s road play in the SEC usually. Highly doubt we shoot 28% in any games the rest of the season though. Our offense is able to get us good looks where it was not last season. We had to count on Rennia and Rae to be more athletic and make tough plays. Rae had a rough game in Athens last season.

See her
agree if key a no go. its strpline time green will have work to make for her height. sanders might see some time. lets hope key can give tenn 10 to 20 mins. bulldogs big girl had a good last year. jenna stati 6 4" 38 mins 12 rebs 22 pts her last game. hope green proves me wrong but sanders might earn some time when tenn plays the tall tree's 6 4" plus
The problem I see Saunders is she does not seem very aggressive, lacks foot speed, sometimes seems lost and does not have very good post moves. I believes she has the body that if used correctly could be tough in and around the basket. I would love to see her come in and have a good game. However, Striplin seems to have the body and the grit to handle the post position along with Green.

Easy Lucy girl.....LOL
tenor.gif

Can't find the post now, but someone was suggesting a radical strategy of starting Emily against Staiti. Now, without trying to rekindle a discussion about Emily's merits as a player, I have to admit that it's an intriguing idea (if she has shown the staff in practice that she could carry out the scheme).

GA certainly wouldn't be expecting that strategy. To me, Staiti doesn't appear to be the quickest post player although she is crafty. Lots of times it takes players a while to settle into a game, so playing Emily early might be ideal if her only focus was to make Staiti have to work. Emily wouldn't be expected to provide help defense...her assignment would be to shadow Staiti and not let her get comfortable. An added benefit would be keeping other posts out of early foul trouble. The longer Emily was effective, the longer she could play. And if she could draw a foulf or two on Staiti....

This may all be idle speculation and just throwing it out there. Emily is bound to have picked up some valuable experience facing TK in practice. The plan might totally flop and require a quick substitution, or it could work effectively and make the staff look like geniuses. And give us another feel-good story as well as creating more depth.

This team has really helped create such positive energy that it's convinced me to believe their magic is real.

Can't find the post now, but someone was suggesting a radical strategy of starting Emily against Staiti. Now, without trying to rekindle a discussion about Emily's merits as a player, I have to admit that it's an intriguing idea (if she has shown the staff in practice that she could carry out the scheme).

I'll buy that. I think in gameplanning Saunder's minutes tell her: you have 2 jobs. 1) Don't let Staiti score. 2) Don't let Staiti get a rebound. Don't help, don't switch. I think the maximum minutes ES could pull this off would be ~12. Tell ES to give her h*** for 3 minutes each quarter. But I would prefer doing that mid-quarter and not "starting".

I think it's expecting too much from Emily in that she hasn't been able to get off the bench against lesser competition, but she would be expected to slow down one of the best post players in the SEC? I'd like to think if she could do any of these things, she would have already been doing so against players NOT as formidable as Staiti.

I think it's expecting too much from Emily in that she hasn't been able to get off the bench against lesser competition, but she would be expected to slow down one of the best post players in the SEC? I'd like to think if she could do any of these things, she would have already been doing so against players NOT as formidable as Staiti.
She may not have great success against Staiti but getting a lot of minutes may be the best way for Emily to take that next step. Just a guess for sure but sometimes you need to throw them in the deep end. The coaches and she need to know what she can do for her team in a game situation. If it goes poorly that doesn’t mean she is not a benefit to the team. It just means further guidance on where she needs to develop.
I hate it when kids only get a couple of minutes at mop up. They are so wanting to show what they can do they tend to play tight and fast.

VN Store

Back