Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I really want uconn to have Bueckers and Fudd back when we play them. Just noticed Williams is out due to COVID protocols.

They've had some terrible luck with Covid, haven't they? I just keep hoping and praying it never takes hold at Tennessee so we can get the full slate of games in. But like I've said in the past, the lack of stringent safety protocols at our games, and the way our players and coaches are mingling with fans like there's nothing to be concerned about, keeps ME filled with concern.

Yesterday as Rae was going through the tunnel on her way to the locker-room after the game, she reached up to slap the hand of a young fan. All I could think of was, "Rae, how do you know that boy isn't going to spread a virus to you?!!!! GO WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!"

Ugh. I hate Covid and flu so damn much, and it seems like nearly everybody is getting one or the other these days. 🙁 I guess I just love Tennessee Lady Vols basketball and don't want our kids to take unnecessary chances.

Stream of consciousness. Let the music set you free.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the more concise "I wonder how much longer UConn will get a pass from the pollsters, seeing as how they're 9-3 and haven't a real game in over a month." I'm not saying it's a scheme or a scam. But come on now. 9-3, and everyone around them has 14-15 wins or more. I know Covid's made it weird, but are you voters sure about that ranking? ;)

We all know the Huskies will look like a different team depending on how Paige comes back and having Christyn Williams on the court. I'll even give them that. Not gonna say what Azzi Fudd will or can do because i can't speak to it.

But Uconn used to look to be in a flow with ANY player they put on the court and they made it look effortless. The chemistry or something looks to be off. Geno was right when he said Paige hid a lot of weaknesses for this team.

I never count them out... but i don't know if adding those players back will get them to where they want to go.

One issue I have is the commentator said "any team who loses their best player is going to look average". I think TN is a team that can take exception to that because we found a way to win and win against some above average opponents.

I really want uconn to have Bueckers and Fudd back when we play them. Just noticed Williams is out due to COVID protocols.

Our game against uconn is on Feb 6th so that's about 7 and a few days after her surgery. The announcers keep saying they are hoping to have her back and she is on track by mid february. Now we all know she could play in our game because it is about that 8 week mark however i don't know if they risk if that early. Paige will def want to play but them keeping her reigned in is gonna be a task in itself.

If they all play... GREAT! i think we can take them. I hope everyone that can be available is able to play. It may be more likely we see Fudd playing but even her injury seems very secretive and people thought Rae's knee injury was a mystery.

One issue I have is the commentator said "any team who loses their best player is going to look average". I think TN is a team that can take exception to that because we found a way to win and win against some above average opponents.

It's a rather thoughtless attempt to convey the impact losing a top player has on a team, definitely. Tennessee lost Tamika Catchings in January back in 2001 and didn't lose another game until the SEC tournament. Burrell's been out all season and Tennessee went 14-1 without her. Not that Burrell isn't important (and boy howdy I'd love to rerun that 2001 NCAA tournament with Catchings), but regardless - that sounds like a poorly thought out comment that I agree is both silly and false. It could be true for some teams, but not always and not for the great ones.

And as for Connecticut, their struggles lead me to reflect on a great many thoughts around great coaches, great players, and the relationship between each.

We all know the Huskies will look like a different team depending on how Paige comes back and having Christyn Williams on the court. I'll even give them that. Not gonna say what Azzi Fudd will or can do because i can't speak to it.

But Uconn used to look to be in a flow with ANY player they put on the court and they made it look effortless. The chemistry or something looks to be off. Geno was right when he said Paige hid a lot of weaknesses for this team.

I never count them out... but i don't know if adding those players back will get them to where they want to go.

…talk dirty to me VA_V

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
It's a rather thoughtless attempt to convey the impact losing a top player has on a team, definitely. Tennessee lost Tamika Catchings in January back in 2001 and didn't lose another game until the SEC tournament. Burrell's been out all season and Tennessee went 14-1 without her. Not that Burrell isn't important (and boy howdy I'd love to rerun that 2001 NCAA tournament with Catchings), but regardless - that sounds like a poorly thought out comment that I agree is both silly and false. It could be true for some teams, but not always and not for the great ones.

And as for Connecticut, their struggles lead me to reflect on a great many thoughts around great coaches, great players, and the relationship between each.

Exactly! Rae clearly was our best player coming back and she is a projected to be a first round draft pick. I took exception because Kellie never let that be an excuse for losing. Matter of fact she put her team in positions for them to grow and win and now we see what that has done. They are a team who doesn't give up and everyone has grown in their roles.

I read where Fudd was injured in the weight room when she dropped a weight on her foot. She was injured a lot in her high school career. She sure can shoot.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It's going to be really, really interesting to see how the committee treats UConn this year. If they don't get a win over South Carolina (and we saw what happened versus them with Bueckers) or Tennessee, how can you honestly give this team any higher than a 5 seed? I'm almost convinced that this is the year UConn finally loses a conference game (the game at DePaul being canceled/postponed was a killer for the Blue Demons), and we can't pretend that the Big East is a good WCBB conference.

I feel teams should be given credit for what they do/earn on the court, but I also think that facing a healthy UConn as a bright-eyed 4 seed in the second round is a crime.

It's going to be really, really interesting to see how the committee treats UConn this year. If they don't get a win over South Carolina (and we saw what happened versus them with Bueckers) or Tennessee, how can you honestly give this team any higher than a 5 seed? I'm almost convinced that this is the year UConn finally loses a conference game (the game at DePaul being canceled/postponed was a killer for the Blue Demons), and we can't pretend that the Big East is a good WCBB conference.

I feel teams should be given credit for what they do/earn on the court, but I also think that facing a healthy UConn as a bright-eyed 4 seed in the second round is a crime.
Puts the committee on the spot to get a fair seeding, the same predicament the pollsters are facing. excellent post!

Geno I need some excuses from u when u have entire team with All Americans. And they rank #9 ..I will call Muffet. Uconn plays like a division 4 team and ranked #9 wow

Reactions: stlvolsfan
UCONN always making excuses for losing. We’ve been down players this year too, but we didn’t make excuses to not play.
No excuses. Being down a player or two is hardly like being down your best 4. This was goung to be a tough game even with Williams. Oregon is a big powerful team. They would give anyone a hard time at full strength. Id love to see a SC Oregon rematch now.

Geno I need some excuses from u when u have entire team with All Americans. And they rank #9 ..I will call Muffet. Uconn plays like a division 4 team and ranked #9 wow
Easy there boo! Think they’re playing a little below where they’re ranked.
…that said, Oregon playing well above where they’re ranked.

Reactions: Luna2012
Have you been living in a cave? They don't, and haven't had their AA's available. Which is NOT the entire team. Smh...blowing **** out of proportion seems to be the norm here. You'd get smacked by this Oregon team.

VN Store

Back