Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 84 - (19/20) Kentucky 58

Wynn's freshman game looks a lot like Burrell 's freshman game.
Agree both were/are aggressive offensive players. Wynn will benefit from slowing down and letting the game come to her, like Rae. However, Rae’s shooting mechanics were far superior to Wynn as freshman. Not a knock on Wynn, just pointing out a skill that Rae has over many players in WCBB, such a beautiful shot

Last edited:
I see a lot of Ariel Atkins in Wynn's Game ...Another note all 3 transfers EW , MiMi and Jazz all had Draft potential that they shot in the foot by transferring. I dont think either player excelled at their new programs other than hurting their professional chances.

In all sports, data is accumulating on the outcomes of transfers. I believe coaches, players, parents, and "agents" will be assessing the landscape differently by July 2022.

Reality may provide the needed correction--as is usually (eventually) the case when adolescents are given greater independence with insufficient rules/structure/guidelines.

Unfortunately, among the current crop of institutional influencers, the promise of post-modernism seems to have mutated into "screw reality--let's make up our own" rather than a greater appreciation for reality's complexities--and for the accumulations of wisdom gained by trial-and-error over time.

Last edited:
In all sports, data is accumulating on the outcomes of transfers. I believe coaches, players, parents, and "agents" will be assessing the landscape differently by July 2022.

Reality may provide the needed correction--as is usually (eventually) the case when adolescents are given greater independence with insufficient rules/structure/limitations.

Unfortunately, among the current crop of institutional influencers, the promise of post-modernism seems to have mutated into "screw reality--let's make up our own" rather than a greater appreciation for reality's complexities--and for the accumulations of wisdom gained by trial-and-error over time.
cringe-old-man.gif

I see a lot of Ariel Atkins in Wynn's Game ...Another note all 3 transfers EW , MiMi and Jazz all had Draft potential that they shot in the foot by transferring. I dont think either player excelled at their new programs other than hurting their professional chances.

Contrast this with a player like Dye who has improved greatly since transferring here. Her stamina is better, and she actually plays some defense now. She had two steals in the last game. That is something she is quick enough to do more of, and these came on anticipation plays where she knew what the other team was trying to do and got there first. She is getting better and better.

Walker and Greene have gotten better as well, though it is sometimes harder to see as they were hampered by injuries so you don't know what their former playing level was as clearly. It makes it hard to separate improvement from recovery. I will say that Walker looks to be in much better shape and her offensive game is much improved over last season. And of course, Greene was ready against KY when her number was called. She is very undersized for an SEC center but she holds her own and then some.

Contrast this with a player like Dye who has improved greatly since transferring here. Her stamina is better, and she actually plays some defense now. She had two steals in the last game. That is something she is quick enough to do more of, and these came on anticipation plays where she knew what the other team was trying to do and got there first. She is getting better and better.

Walker and Greene have gotten better as well, though it is sometimes harder to see as they were hampered by injuries so you don't know what their former playing level was as clearly. It makes it hard to separate improvement from recovery. I will say that Walker looks to be in much better shape and her offensive game is much improved over last season. And of course, Greene was ready against KY when her number was called. She is very undersized for an SEC center but she holds her own and then some.
Hoping Green can keep holding her own against the larger/taller post players on GA, SCar, LSU, etc.

Hoping Green can keep holding her own against the larger/taller post players on GA, SCar, LSU, etc.

I like the description one poster made of Keyen being built to "bully" players down low. If she can keep them away from their favorite spots on the block, she may be able to wear them down and frustrate then if she can avoid foul trouble. She has the experience and superb intelligence to exploit opponents' weaknesses and maximize her own assets.

Agree both were/are aggressive offensive players. Wynn will benefit from slowing down and letting the game come to her, like Rae. However, Rae’s shooting mechanics were far superior to Wynn as freshman. Not a knock on Wynn, just pointing out a skill that Rae has over many players in WCBB, such a beautiful shot

Rae's shot developed in year #2 and continued into year #3. It's a great tribute to her work ethic and intentional practice methods on her own time.

1642438039879.png

Snoop has become one of my favorite players. She never seems to let adversity on the court affect her negatively; she just keeps that same level of unbridled joy of playing. That must unnerve some opponents even as it brings confidence to her teammates. That little smile and her shoulder shrugs are so much fun to watch.

As Rae, Jordy, and so many others have said, "We don't panic." That culture is being passed along to the young'uns who will in turn pass that on to future classes. Resiliency is one of the greatest things to observe in sports. Who doesn't like a great comeback?

As Kellie said in one fiery postgame locker room speech (Texas?): "They DID NOT BREAK us!!!"

Another observation after watching this morning. We were in wayyyy better shape than Kentucky. When you look at our players compared to theirs when they lined up for FTs we are in better shape across the board. Their players were all sucking air while the Lady Vols were laughing and joking.

Physically we look to be in excellent basketball shape. Everyone in our main lineup is looking lean and strong. Keyen is the only one who is maybe a tad out of shape but I suspect she is only just starting to practice at full speed coming back from her injury. By March I think she’ll be in even better shape than she is now.

Huge props to our strength and conditioning staff and the athletic trainers. The team is looking good and they have managed the injury issues really well. Love seeing the players use technology to help. Notice Horston, Dye and Burrell all using heating/cooling wraps when out of the game. Dye and Horston on their backs and Burrell on her knee. Really showing that a great program takes great care of its players.
I think a lot of that observation can be attributed to Coach Harper's substitution strategy ....she liberally substitutes, and it has paid big dividends in building great depth and keeping players fresh.....and I might add is largely responsible for tiring opposition out and taking it to them in the 4th quarter and is responsible for many come from behind victories in the 4th quarter

I believe Wynn's problem is her face shield. LOL! Seriously though, I predict that Wynn will be a All SEC first string guard in her sophomore or junior year.
well i have no problem admitting im not a true evaluator of talent of Darby would have been shown the door and we wouldnt have her heart and deadly three point shot. Wynn seems to have all the skills you want in a guard. Speed and length. I hope she learns to control that speed. She seems a little out of control. Thats youth i get that. She seems to be trying to fit a game worth of playing time in her few minutes at a time on the court. I think she will be very good one day.

There is an old saying: "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". That is Wynn right now, Her offensive game is to drive into the paint and put up an off balance shot. That worked to some extent against the early season opponents but not so much when she is facing top 25 teams. Her game will diversify and she we learn not to be overly aggressive. I wish she, in these limited minutes, she did not force things and let the game come to her but experience and coaching will fix that. She could still be a defensive X factor later in the season; her athleticism is off the charts.
Very good analysis. I hope she learns her role because yes she could be very valuable

Rewatching this game as much as i used to complain about Darby. She has become one of my favorite players. The one player that drives me crazy now and i hope this leads to her making me eat crow also. But Wynn. She is a ball hog when she sees the court. She is shoot first and a turnover machine.
A lot like Rae was as a freshman. Hopefully the same long term outcome.

I think a lot of that observation can be attributed to Coach Harper's substitution strategy ....she liberally substitutes, and it has paid big dividends in building great depth and keeping players fresh.....and I might add is largely responsible for tiring opposition out and taking it to them in the 4th quarter and is responsible for many come from behind victories in the 4th quarter

Substituting a lot can keep players fresh IF they are fit,. Otherwise, they are not getting as much game time fitness as teams with a tighter rotation. So, I think the off season conditioning and whatever they are doing in season is a factor.

well i have no problem admitting im not a true evaluator of talent of Darby would have been shown the door and we wouldnt have her heart and deadly three point shot. Wynn seems to have all the skills you want in a guard. Speed and length. I hope she learns to control that speed. She seems a little out of control. Thats youth i get that. She seems to be trying to fit a game worth of playing time in her few minutes at a time on the court. I think she will be very good one day.
read tess darby played the long game and won go vols 247 tells tess was rated top 60 scouting reports softmore highschool.

Debbie Antonelli was trying to talk up EW as a potential #1 pick in the draft about a month ago. I laughed myself off the couch. Her statement didn’t age well. The UCONN faithful now speak of her like she recently passed away. Hushed tones and half compliments. She had a MASSIVE opportunity to rise to the occasion and play outside of herself.

We all saw how it went, and it looked very familiar to those of us here at VolNation. I agonized over her play and watched her games over and over for two seasons. I see little difference, that has to chap Geno. When he talks about “stubborn players” I suspect she is the main culprit he is referring to.

We missed Evina a lot last season. This year not so much with Jordan Walker getting back to form (coming back from a double ACL takes some time). And the emergence of Brooklyn and the improved play of Horston has settled the PG position.

We missed Evina a lot last season. This year not so much with Jordan Walker getting back to form (coming back from a double ACL takes some time). And the emergence of Brooklyn and the improved play of Horston has settled the PG position.

Yep, last season our PG was trying to learn a brand new system and playing at a much higher level than she was accustomed to. With a bad knee ‘ta boot.

So glad we have Miles to take the pressure off some this season. We don’t lose anything defensively when Walker goes out and that was a big issue for us last season. Her defense wasn’t stellar but we really didn’t have anyone who could guard on the perimeter to sub in for her.

I don’t think Westbrook and Kellie would have been a good fit. Evina can’t even listen to Geno, if he can’t get through to her, who can? For as much as I dislike him you can’t deny he is one of the greatest basketball minds to ever coach the game. The fact she has made so little progress is a reflection of her lack of desire to learn, grow and change. Fully expected her to become a much better player at UCONN. I thought Holly was holding her back but clearly Evina is gate keeping herself from greatness.

Last edited:
Watched the game yesterday with Vol Network sound. Watched again today with Carolyn Peck. Holy cow, if UK had listened to Peck and just gave the ball to Howard every possession and got out of the way, she would have scored 100 points and got every rebound. All she talked about.She kinda changed her tune and gave us some credit with 8 minutes left. All Howard cared about was getting her 25-30 points.

Reality may provide the needed correction--as is usually (eventually) the case when adolescents are given greater independence with insufficient rules/structure/guidelines.

That's heavy, man.

VN Store

Back