Will Barnes Wear An Orange Sport Coat?

JMO but coaches ain't wearing suits again until this horrid slim fit garbage ends

357 teams are going to be left without a championship in the end. You can still win at a high level and not win the title. So, would I rather see us play a boring offense, elite defense and go 22-8 versus an exciting offense, skeptical defense and go 18-12 and possibly sweat making the NCAAT? Absolutely. Neither team is likely a threat to win it all, but I put a great value on winning, and I've never subscribed to the theory that the regular season doesn't matter.

And as VSF said above, it seems as if you're rebranding your original statement, which seemed to be universally read as though you valued entertainment above winning. Perhaps it was just poorly worded on your part.

I'm taking their argument now to be basically if neither team is going to win the championship then being exciting > being boring even if the boring team wins more games. I don't agree with that at all.

Now if it's both teams end up roughly the same, I guess I'd agree "entertaining > boring" but frankly that's kind of a pointless argument. As I said earlier we had plenty of "excitement" with Pearl but when we had disappointing postseasons nobody was really glowing about how exciting it was.

Take football and Heupel; he has a very exciting offense to watch but if in 4 years we're still going 7-5 in the regular season I seriously doubt people are going to be talking about how exciting it is.

Even if it ends up being 0-1 in the NCAAT, that’s still more “exciting” than missing it. Which happened more often than not in the last 40 years. It really sucks to watch March Madness while not being included. It’s especially bad when missing the NIT as well. Be thankful. TN is much, much closer to the top than the cellar right now. USCe had a FF and hasn’t been back in the field since.

Last edited:
Even if it ends up being 0-1 in the NCAAT, that’s still more “exciting” than missing it. Which happened more often than not in the last 40 years. It really sucks to watch March Madness while not being included. It’s especially bad when missing the NIT as well. Be thankful. TN is much, much closer to the top than the cellar right now. USCe had a FF and hasn’t been back in the girls since.
Also, even when we had a chance to make the dance, we were sitting on pins and needles as they announced each region, really only hoping we were being invited. At least lately, we know we are going……high-class problems compared to the way it was for many years.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If we get to the Sweet 16 to me that's equal to a New Years Bowl in Football. It all gets about matchups come to the tournament time. I've seen teams that made it to the final 4 because they were lucky enough to fall in a bracket where the matchup favored them. It's why they call it March Madness a lot of variables its more than just elite coaches.

Also, even when we had a chance to make the dance, we were sitting on pins and needles as they announced each region, really only hoping we were being invited. At least lately, we know we are going……high-class problems compared to the way it was for many years.

Bruce spoiled us and then burned it to the ground.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Bruce spoiled us and then burned it to the ground.

Bruce embarrassed Volnation in a 75 to 45 rout in the 1st round NCAA tournament to Michigan while the announcers took glee in dragging the Vol brand through the muck every 30 seconds. For me, this was the lowest point in basketball and I could not watch the complete game. Those same-type broadcasters became colleagues of Bruce at ESPN and now prop him up. The big loser in all this Volnation and the Tennessee brand.

Bruce embarrassed Volnation in a 75 to 45 rout in the 1st round NCAA tournament to Michigan while the announcers took glee in dragging the Vol brand through the muck every 30 seconds. For me, this was the lowest point in basketball and I could not watch the complete game. Those same-type broadcasters became colleagues of Bruce at ESPN and now prop him up. The big loser in all this Volnation and the Tennessee brand.

1642252400585.gif

This is not at all what you said in the other post. You literally said

Now you're trying to say you're comparing "ho-hum" to "exciting"; which btw I still disagree with the notion that being "exciting but losing" > "ho hum but winning"; which seems to be your argument now.

It's obvious you enjoy arguing, I on the other hand over the years have discovered arguing get the parties nowhere. To me this is going nowhere. I surrender and withdraw.

Reactions: walkenvol
It's obvious you enjoy arguing, I on the other hand over the years have discovered arguing get the parties nowhere. To me this is going nowhere. I surrender and withdraw.

It's a discussion board cupcake. You posted something that was on its face silly (and I'm not the only one who thinks so, so maybe you need to accuse @cncchris33 of "enjoying arguing" too), then moved the goalposts, then try this lame copout of trying to act like you're taking the higher ground.

So yes, you did surrender.

1993---- 101- 40.
I'll go with this as my personal low point in Tennessee men's basketball history.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I'm taking their argument now to be basically if neither team is going to win the championship then being exciting > being boring even if the boring team wins more games. I don't agree with that at all.

Now if it's both teams end up roughly the same, I guess I'd agree "entertaining > boring" but frankly that's kind of a pointless argument. As I said earlier we had plenty of "excitement" with Pearl but when we had disappointing postseasons nobody was really glowing about how exciting it was.

Take football and Heupel; he has a very exciting offense to watch but if in 4 years we're still going 7-5 in the regular season I seriously doubt people are going to be talking about how exciting it is.

True. But for example as earlier. We won more games in 2019, but I had much much more fun watching this 2021 team than 2019. Now that’s the difference between 7-8 wins. Not 7-10 lol

The more exciting brand of offense sure was fun to watch, today. Shot 50+% from the field, nearly shot 50% from 3. Elite defense be damned. Sure, we lost, but wasn't it entertaining? 😕

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
The more exciting brand of offense sure was fun to watch, today. Shot 50+% from the field, nearly shot 50% from 3. Elite defense be damned. Sure, we lost, but wasn't it entertaining? 😕

Pearl is a genius for this.

If the threes aren’t falling, it’s over.

VN Store

Back