The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

We've got 2 on our team that do...:cool:

Honestly I think Barnes & the culture here is the best situation for BHH to learn how to put the effort in constantly if his goal is to get to the NBA. But my biggest worry is if he's mentally not tough enough for it. I don't think DJ Burns was and that's why he is where he is. Sure his stat line looks great, now in year 3 there (and his 4th year in college) but he still is only getting 21 minutes a game and isn't a full effort end to end guy.

You have one coaching staff that pulled his offer and you have another who is frustrated with his work ethic.

I don’t think coaching is the problem with Hatfield.

The discussion about offense/defense got me thinking about who we are similar to, so checked out Barttorvik because they have the model that will compare your team to past teams and match you with most similar profiles based on offense/defense/tempo.

Compare Efficiency Profiles - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

Louisville under Rick Pitino is a common theme here, the 3 most similar are 2009, 2011 & 2015 Louisville, thought that was pretty interesting. The site only goes back to 2008, but from there…

Tennessee current numbers:
Offense: 108.0 for 85th nationally
Defense: 88.1 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 69.9 for 112th nationally

2009 Louisville: 1 seed Elite 8
Offense: 112.0 for 32nd nationally
Defense: 85.4 for 2nd nationally
Tempo: 68.2 for 105th nationally

2015 Louisville: 4 seed Elite 8
Offense: 109.4 for 59th nationally
Defense: 87.4 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 65.6 for 135th nationally

2011 Louisville: 4 Seed R64
Offense: 110.7 for 48th nationally
Defense: 89.1 for 3rd nationally
Tempo: 68.0 for 100th nationally
I have no clue their logic behind this, but these are NumberFire's comps
Screenshot 2022-01-13 125911.jpg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The discussion about offense/defense got me thinking about who we are similar to, so checked out Barttorvik because they have the model that will compare your team to past teams and match you with most similar profiles based on offense/defense/tempo.

Compare Efficiency Profiles - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

Louisville under Rick Pitino is a common theme here, the 3 most similar are 2009, 2011 & 2015 Louisville, thought that was pretty interesting. The site only goes back to 2008, but from there…

Tennessee current numbers:
Offense: 108.0 for 85th nationally
Defense: 88.1 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 69.9 for 112th nationally

2009 Louisville: 1 seed Elite 8
Offense: 112.0 for 32nd nationally
Defense: 85.4 for 2nd nationally
Tempo: 68.2 for 105th nationally

2015 Louisville: 4 seed Elite 8
Offense: 109.4 for 59th nationally
Defense: 87.4 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 65.6 for 135th nationally

2011 Louisville: 4 Seed R64
Offense: 110.7 for 48th nationally
Defense: 89.1 for 3rd nationally
Tempo: 68.0 for 100th nationally
The one team that overlaps in his efficiency/resume similarity is the 2009 Purdue team. Finished 2nd in the B1G, won the conference tourney, got a 5 seed and then was bounced in the S16 by 1 seed UConn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3nUTnow
I love how candid Barnes is with the media. Of course, when he is this transparent there is always backlash. Ironically, at times the backlash comes from the very same media begging for coaches to be more candid.

Barnes is throwing BHH under the bus.
-LoM VN posters

They had their own Fulky in Robbie Hummel. Oft-injured and was there for 3 decades.
And they relied more on him than we rely on Fulky. They relied a lot more on their front court. For that reason I think our ceiling is a bit higher. If we start shooting even just a little better from the perimeter which I expect to do at some point then I think we are a better team. Can never predict what will happen in the tourney but despite some ugly losses I still think we have E8 potential

Reactions: berryvol
Athletic has us as a 5 seed in latest bracket prediction (with 1st game against Chattanooga).

Other SEC: Auburn (1), LSU (2), UK (5), BAMA (6), UF (12)

AD015367-08D2-4492-B51A-3E29AEBA9D8E.jpeg

Edit: and headed to frigid Buffalo, yikes!

I don’t like the idea of being a 5-again, but as far as draws are concerned this one isn’t too bad. Johnny Davis would be scary, but if you can limit his scoring I think Wisconsin is very beatable. We’ve already beaten Arizona. We’ve seen Villanova so that would help with a second matchup against them if it happened. I’m not scared of Kansas.

This wouldn’t be an awful draw.

I read Barnes comments, still dont agree with them but I digress.

My question is whats it going to take for BHH to get minutes. And significant minutes at that. It's mid January more or less you gotta look in the rotation sooner or later so you can get guys comfortable for March. I think it's safe to say 1 practice isn't going to do it but 3? 5? 2 weeks worth? We need him but we are running out of time to throw him in the lineup.

every year there is a 12 seed beating a 5. Is this the one for this year? NAHHHHH!!!!!!
I guarantee you that it would be the sexy upset pick, though. And Chattanooga is really good for their level. Both starting guards average over 42% from 3. They have Silvio De Sousa (Kansas transfer) patrolling the paint.

I read Barnes comments, still dont agree with them but I digress.

My question is whats it going to take for BHH to get minutes. And significant minutes at that. It's mid January more or less you gotta look in the rotation sooner or later so you can get guys comfortable for March. I think it's safe to say 1 practice isn't going to do it but 3? 5? 2 weeks worth? We need him but we are running out of time to throw him in the lineup.

Learn his role in defense and quit losing so many plays on that end. Giving up scores hurts too much with the lack of efficiency on offense right now. Every time an opponent scores it might take three offensive possessions to match them. Defensive breakdowns will make losses much more likely.

The upside of BHH not progressing and getting off of the bench is that Uros and ORN are getting more minutes (as well as JJJ at the 4) and they will potentially be playing for the next 2.5 years.

Learn his role in defense and quit losing so many plays on that end. Giving up scores hurts too much with the lack of efficiency on offense right now. Every time an opponent scores it might take three offensive possessions to match them. Defensive breakdowns will make losses much more likely.

The upside of BHH not progressing and getting off of the bench is that Uros and ORN are getting more minutes (as well as JJJ at the 4) and they will potentially be playing for the next 2.5 years.
But if he can match that score on offense it's not that big of a deal when he lapses. I've seen some of our upperclassmen do some pretty bad stuff.
But back on the BHH topic, we need his size and length if he's happy he's probably back next year at this rate so we could have him 2 years.
Uros and ORN aren't it.

But if he can match that score on offense it's not that big of a deal when he lapses. I've seen some of our upperclassmen do some pretty bad stuff.
But back on the BHH topic, we need his size and length if he's happy he's probably back next year at this rate so we could have him 2 years.
Uros and ORN aren't it.

He also has had some bad turnovers. He’s making way too many mistakes on both ends to justify lots of minutes.

He also has had some bad turnovers. He’s making way too many mistakes on both ends to justify lots of minutes.
I won't disagree about the turnovers. Tbh I just wish we saw more of him early in the season against the UNCG of the world. Then bench him as the season goes along if things don't improve. Just my 2 cents if he doesn't crack the rotation by Florida he doesn't play this year and is gone next year.

This may not be a popular prediction but for some reason I don't expect BHH to be here next year even if he only gets 2-3 min playing time per game.

Either he will portal, or enter draft. I don't know how the NBA will be affected by his little playing time this year.

VN Store

Back