Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 65 - Vanderbilt 51

And boy was it fun to watch Horston guard Alexander. When she heated up in the second half and we switched Jordy onto her she was stymied. Jordan blocked her shot on 3 straight possessions, twice in one of them. They recorded 4 blocks but I believe she actually had 5 plus a couple more deflections on Alexander shots.

I think we will see Horston give Howard a really hard time on Sunday. 🤞🏼

Last edited:
Didn't see many wide open shots. They got to shoot it 75 times how terrible are you saying your offense is if you get 20 more shots and still lose by 14.

They missed a lot of transition layups. Mostly due to us a getting back and contesting well. After a lot of those “steals” they were not able to score. They either got stripped or fouled and missed free throws.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Always good win in Nashville. That weird bench arrangement always seems to give us fits. Good prep for other pressure defenses.

Hope Emily is okay and not discouraged. She can be valuable moving gorward. Tamari's improvement in staying out of foul trouble is keeping her on the bench. Karoline gave her a nice wrap around pass on that layup.
I don't think Emily or Rennie are going to be able to play much going forward and in the future next season. That is just a fact. If they want to play more a transfer would be the option because other than when we play pre-SEC just not going to be minutes for them to get in the game. We let the game get to close last night or they may have got a lot more fourth quarter minutes. I don't think Kellie is confident in putting them in if were not at least 15 ahead around the three minute mark. I honestly thought Emily would be the option this season when Tamari went to the bench. To see that she is not means it is never going to happen.

Man, she was wide open under the basket one time and no one found her. They’ll see that in tape session.

Green actually saw her but opted not to pass because the time and score. I think the shot clock was already off for the game. You could see Keyen consider it but I think someone from the bench may have told her to hold it.

It looked to me Horston did better handling Vandy’s press then Jordan Walker and Miles at times🤔

She did, her length helps her a ton in a situation like that. She can see over the trap to make the pass. Kellie is right too, the key to Jordy’s turnovers are just keeping her aggressive. If she’s aggressive to the rim she doesn’t turn it over and is unstoppable.

Start getting her to dribble side to side and she’s dead in the water though. Seeing less and less of that, she’s moving toward the rim both off the dribble and the pass on almost every play.

It looked to me Horston did better handling Vandy’s press then Jordan Walker and Miles at times🤔
Totally better than Miles and Jordan. They both had problems didn't seem to understand you can't dribble out of a trap most of the time and since they are small picking up the ball made then unable to see to pass. Jordan Horston didn't dribble into the trap she paused and looked for the open player. Second even if she picked the ball up she is tall enough to throw a pass as she can see over their guards.

Last edited:
Green actually saw her but opted not to pass because the time and score. I think the shot clock was already off for the game. You could see Keyen consider it but I think someone from the bench may have told her to hold it.
I think the instance I saw was earlier than that but not sure. It was before Emily and Rennie were in.

Always good win in Nashville. That weird bench arrangement always seems to give us fits. Good prep for other pressure defenses.

Hope Emily is okay and not discouraged. She can be valuable moving gorward. Tamari's improvement in staying out of foul trouble is keeping her on the bench. Karoline gave her a nice wrap around pass on that layup.

upon review the benches are still on the end line but the coaches can come to mid-court. That is why I thought the benches had moved for the entire game Ralph was near mid court.

I was fully dreading that setup but was surprised to see they had changed that. They seem to have added some more flooring too? I seem to remember the weird drop off being closer to the court. Looked like they filled some of that in to have more practice area.

Last edited:
It was a win and was really never in doubt, but Vandy is probably proud that they won the variables of the game and this gave them a huge shot advantage for the game. We certainly were not able to play to our game plan especially in the second half. First time this season that the shot discrepancy has been so easy to notice and some key stats were such big losses. Vandy was plus ten in turnovers and plus six on the offensive boards. In the end that created 20 more shots at the basket for them. We made that up somewhat with free throw attempts and makes at the line, but they still have 15 more possessions to score than we did. This hasn't happened this year. We usually win the offensive boards by enough to account for any turnovers count we may lose. The good news even with a 20 shot advantage our defense was taking them out of their offense almost every possession in their half court offense. They did get loose a few times with steals in transition, but missed the shot because we were able to recover on most of them. Like coach Harper said it wasn't pretty how we played and we didn't have the energy we usually have, but we won by fourteen so a win is all that matters.
We play them again at home. I think we'll play far better in that game which want matter cause both games only count one win and the win in the end is all that anyone cares about.

I don't think Emily or Rennie are going to be able to play much going forward and in the future next season. That is just a fact. If they want to play more a transfer would be the option because other than when we play pre-SEC just not going to be minutes for them to get in the game. We let the game get to close last night or they may have got a lot more fourth quarter minutes. I don't think Kellie is confident in putting them in if were not at least 15 ahead around the three minute mark. I honestly thought Emily would be the option this season when Tamari went to the bench. To see that she is not means it is never going to happen.
Dye, Green and Burrell will all be leaving after this season. If there isn't a portal pickup, Key has no backup...unless one considers Striplin to be a backup 5. Emily may get her chance next season. If she doesn't and her goal was to be a rotation player, then she will have made a mistake in choosing to come to Tennessee. There were too many better options ahead of her for her entire career. Barring injuries, Rennie won't be seeing the court anytime before the last 2 min of a game this season or next. If they have their degrees at the end of this year and can see the writing on the wall, maybe they grad transfer. If they don't have degrees, might just have to deal with the reality.

We did some really good work in the second quarter of throwing over the trap. The problem came in that out players could not make the open three point shot so we went away from going to them in the third quarter. If we make those shots they have to abandon the trap because you have someone throwing down threes you can be behind by thirty in just a few possessions.

It was a win and was really never in doubt, but Vandy is probably proud that they won the variables of the game and this gave them a huge shot advantage for the game. We certainly were not able to play to our game plan especially in the second half. First time this season that the shot discrepancy has been so easy to notice and some key stats were such big losses. Vandy was plus ten in turnovers and plus six on the offensive boards. In the end that created 20 more shots at the basket for them. We made that up somewhat with free throw attempts and makes at the line, but they still have 15 more possessions to score than we did. This hasn't happened this year. We usually win the offensive boards by enough to account for any turnovers count we may lose. The good news even with a 20 shot advantage our defense was taking them out of their offense almost every possession in their half court offense. They did get loose a few times with steals in transition, but missed the shot because we were able to recover on most of them. Like coach Harper said it wasn't pretty how we played and we didn't have the energy we usually have, but we won by fourteen so a win is all that matters.
We play them again at home. I think we'll play far better in that game which want matter cause both games only count one win and the win in the end is all that anyone cares about.

Eh honestly most of that happened in the last 4 minutes of the fourth quarter after we subbed and quit playing. Not much to be proud of there. She said they “won the second half” but that’s a lame excuse lol.

They won the last four minutes of the fourth quarter leaving their press on and bear hugging Wynn and Miles.

Last edited:
Dye, Green and Burrell will all be leaving after this season. If there isn't a portal pickup, Key has no backup...unless one considers Striplin to be a backup 5. Emily may get her chance next season. If she doesn't and her goal was to be a rotation player, then she will have made a mistake in choosing to come to Tennessee. There were too many better options ahead of her for her entire career. Barring injuries, Rennie won't be seeing the court anytime before the last 2 min of a game this season or next. If they have their degrees at the end of this year and can see the writing on the wall, maybe they grad transfer. If they don't have degrees, might just have to deal with the reality.
I keep hearing that Green has another season of eligibility if she wants it. I don't know if she would want it. At this time the player to take her place looks to be Puckett as she was down low a lot last night in the post position. Of course Striplin has to be a factor next season she didn't come here to sit on the bench. She has accepted her role of playing behind Green and to some extent Puckett don't think she will be happy with that next season. Regardless of these players Tennessee needs a true five to back up Tamari next season with more than one year of eligibility because that is going to be a huge blow to lose Horston and Key so I think most definitely have to look to the portal in this off season.

Eh honestly most of they happened in the last 4 minutes of the fourth quarter after we subbed and quit playing. Not much to be proud of there. She said they “won the second half” but that’s a lame excuse lol.

They won the last four minutes of the fourth quarter leaving their press on and bear hugging Wynn and Miles.
Main reason I would love a beatdown leave nothing for them to talk about.

I keep hearing that Green has another season of eligibility if she wants it. I don't know if she would want it. At this time the player to take her place looks to be Puckett as she was down low a lot last night in the post position. Of course Striplin has to be a factor next season she didn't come here to sit on the bench. She has accepted her role of playing behind Green and to some extent Puckett don't think she will be happy with that next season. Regardless of these players Tennessee needs a true five to back up Tamari next season with more than one year of eligibility because that is going to be a huge blow to lose Horston and Key so I think most definitely have to look to the portal in this off season.

I believe she will use it. She won’t be done with her PhD program. Why waste it?

I believe she will use it. She won’t be done with her PhD program. Why waste it?
Still need a power five and really don't want it to be a freshman taking over for Key after next season. We really needed that player this season. I feel a little scary inside when Key or Horston go out of the game.

Still need a power five and really don't want it to be a freshman taking over for Key after next season. We really needed that player this season. I feel a little scary inside when Key or Horston go out of the game.

I believe we will be pulling an experienced post and a combo guard from the portal. Time will tell but you’ve gotta believe that’s where we are headed.

If this team continues to play how they are at the moment and we have a strong NCAA tournament I believe we will get the pick of the portal we want.

Also believe it will bust open our HS level recruiting as well. You start playing for championships again and all that other noise goes away.

Last edited:
I noticed they are no longer doing that. Ralph has moved the benches to the sideline like everywhere else. I never really understood why they were allowed to have them on the end line under the basket in the first place.

I was fully dreading that setup but was surprised to see they had changed that. They seem to have added some more flooring too? I seem to remember the weird drop off being closer to the court. Looked like they filled some of that in to have more practice area.
The benches are still on the end lines. Not sure why you thought they weren't. A couple of years ago they approved letting the coaches have the same coaching box as normal gyms do, but the benches are still on the endlines.

The benches are still on the end lines. Not sure why you thought they weren't. A couple of years ago they approved letting the coaches have the same coaching box as normal gyms do, but the benches are still on the endlines.
You wonder if Vandy will ever build another arena. The place they play in was built in 1952. I am glad we only play there once a year it is really different than playing anywhere else.

You’re right. I just saw Ralph by mid court the entire game. They hardly showed the benches.

That was really the disadvantage though so it doesn’t really matter where the players sit.

The issue was always that your team could not hear their coaching staff for half the entire game.

Last edited:
You’re right. I just saw Ralph by mid court the entire game. They hardly showed the benches.

That was really the disadvantage though so it doesn’t really matter where the players sit.

The issue was always their your team could not hear their coaching staff for half the entire game.
That court is like an infinity pool. If you don’t play there all the time I think those four foot drop offs would be distracting. Ridiculous they are allowed to keep that set up.

VN Store

Back