Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 65 - Vanderbilt 51

The first half the offense was impressive with shooting, defense, and rebounds despite the troubling turnovers. The 4th quarter was the first time this season where the Lady Vols were outhustled, all season! Good win but disappointing ending. Hope they learn they need to keep their focus and motivation throughout the entire game. As far as the turnovers, I thought we did a good job in the 3rd quarter passing it rather than dribbling it up the court. Then we regressed again in the 4th. I know Horston is known for her turnovers, but I actually think at this point I am more comfortable with her dribbling up the court than Walker or Miles when there is an intense press. She seems to be more in the flow of the game than ever before and keeps getting better. If she keeps getting better, can you imagine next year!!!

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, I think it needs a little nuisance. With 3:30 ( there abouts) left in the third quarter, Tennessee was up by 20 points and the game was over. Coach Harper began to liberally substitute as she should have. The rythm and flow of the game changed and Vanderbilt's young ladies began to have more success as a result of Coach Harper trying to build depth.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, I think it needs a little nuisance. With 3:30 ( there abouts) left in the third quarter, Tennessee was up by 20 points and the game was over. Coach Harper began to liberally substitute as she should have. The rythm and flow of the game changed and Vanderbilt's young ladies began to have more success as a result of Coach Harper trying to build depth.

Yes, and the team absolutely NEEDS to continue to build depth. One of these days it’s going to pay off big time. The chances of the bulb going on for the second group increase with every opportunity they get to play decent minutes. I believe it’s coming!

If Tamari could develop a consistent mid range shot and a pump fake and drive to the hoop from the free throw line she would be unstoppable. They’re giving her a wide open lane tonight and she doesn’t even look to score. @Coach Jumper can you make it to practice tomorrow?

I can be there tomorrow

Had to watch on my phone and could still tell that the charge on Horston was bullsh*t. The NCAA needs to look at how they call charges. Letting short, squat, non-athletic players walk underneath a superstar while they are in the air is completely heinous. That’s how you ruin seasons and careers. Horston is a leader, whilst the dirty Vanderbilt player waddles underneath her midair. Unacceptable. And Kellie needs to make sure the entire NCAA knows her grievance about this. Prior to that she made all her floaters and was having a beautiful game. Amazing what happens with some dirty a$$ play. Is this what Ralphnis gonna do?

The vandy player's feet were clearly moving when she took the contact. Terrible call.

Last edited:
Plus I expect us to have a lot more energy at home. The energy was low tonight. Walker kept dribbling into the double teams and traps. Picking up the ball and no where to pass it. Not a very good floor game for her tonight. Jordan played it very well.

That move needs to happen in the next 2 to 3 games. Right now, Rae does not look that well integrated into the offensive. She is having to create her own shots going off the dribble. There is a place for that but she also needs to get a few spot up jumpers and some back door lay-ups and other kind of scoring plays. It seems like she getting lost. More time with the first unit should help address that problem. As tougher opponents are coming down, Rae's scoring could well be the difference between a W and an L.

Also, Jordan Horston played one of her most complete all round games. 5 for 14. Her shooting 5 is climbing up due to taking better shots and not forcing things so much,.

Last edited:
That move needs to happen in the next 2 to 3 games. Right now, Rae does not look that well integrated into the offensive. She is having to create her own shots going off the dribble. There is a place for that but she also needs to get a few spot up jumpers and some back door lay-ups and other kind of scoring plays. It seems like she getting lost. More time with the first unit should help address that problem. As tougher opponents are coming down, Rae's scoring could well be the difference between a W and an L.
…igbok…:cool: 16-1!

The first half the offense was impressive with shooting, defense, and rebounds despite the troubling turnovers. The 4th quarter was the first time this season where the Lady Vols were outhustled, all season! Good win but disappointing ending. Hope they learn they need to keep their focus and motivation throughout the entire game. As far as the turnovers, I thought we did a good job in the 3rd quarter passing it rather than dribbling it up the court. Then we regressed again in the 4th. I know Horston is known for her turnovers, but I actually think at this point I am more comfortable with her dribbling up the court than Walker or Miles when there is an intense press. She seems to be more in the flow of the game than ever before and keeps getting better. If she keeps getting better, can you imagine next year!!!
I feel like Jojo is in a bit of a slump. The last : games where they’ve applied a lot pressure has affected her a lot. I too prefer Jordy bringing the ball up, she’s bigger and smoother and seems to handle the press better.

I can be there tomorrow
TENNESSEE_McCORVEY_JOY.jpg
Not on my watch...

Ladies were too tired for a locker room celebration it seems😂😂

They looked physically exhausted. Hopefully they can somehow get rested up for Sunday.

In a game like that you do get worn down. The Vanderbilt pressure was nothing more than slap and grab defense. It wears on you when you’re repeatedly fouled causing turnovers. You don’t really have any recourse when the officials allow it so everyone kinda quits playing.

When we play Vanderbilt at home they’re gonna foul out most of their team. Kellie had better ride the officials hard about their moving screens as well. They set 2-3 moving screens on every single play.

And if you haven’t noticed, that is team’s only strategy against us. They have to foul Tamari on every play to keep her from scoring. Walker and Horston both have their arms grabbed and slapped and the officials allow the defenders to drape their body all over the ball handler soon as were up a little. Have yet to see a team able to guard us with their half-court defense without fouling.

If team’s try to play straight up legal defense they will all lose by 30, like A&M. This Lady Vol team is athletic, organized and determined. They play 40 minutes of defense and we lose nothing going to the bench on D.

Offensively we are starting to put things together. You can see that in the first and second quarters of our last couple games. Only issue is once we open up a 20 point lead or so the officials just start allowing the other team to hammer us.

We really weren’t too bad on turnovers after that first quarter until they started allowing so much contact on the ball handler. We only had 13 until midway through the 4th quarter when it got ugly.

Always good win in Nashville. That weird bench arrangement always seems to give us fits. Good prep for other pressure defenses.

Hope Emily is okay and not discouraged. She can be valuable moving gorward. Tamari's improvement in staying out of foul trouble is keeping her on the bench. Karoline gave her a nice wrap around pass on that layup.

Always good win in Nashville. That weird bench arrangement always seems to give us fits. Good prep for other pressure defenses.

Hope Emily is okay and not discouraged. She can be valuable moving gorward. Tamari's improvement in staying out of foul trouble is keeping her on the bench. Karoline gave her a nice wrap around pass on that layup.
I didn’t watch the end but why would she be discouraged???

Reactions: Volfan2012

yet another coach saying “we were getting wide open shots we just weren’t hitting them.”

No, actually, you hit the #1 FG% defense in the country and you struggled!!! Just call it what it is.

They did take a lot of open 3s but that’s because they had to shoot from 30’ all night. They got very few good looks at the basket after that first quarter. Their post got a few looks on the pick and pop but once we adjusted they really didn’t get anything else out of their offense all night. Most the rest of their scores were transition buckets off turnovers and they still missed a lot of those.

playing three hours later than normal on the road and in a gym that impacts those playing there for the first time are also factors and the team left with a win. all good. SEC coaches, including ours know that the season is a grind. pleased this road game is behind the team.

by the way with two new schools in the conference next year this will probably be the last year playing Vandy twice.

I didn’t watch the end but why would she be discouraged???

She’s looked that way a few times this season where I have not noticed it before. I suspect she has really been working hard in practice but it isn’t translating to minutes and she looks a bit bothered by it.

Once we get up pretty good if you pay attention to the bench you can see her attitude change. She’s upset she’s not being put in once we’re up.

Unfortunately as we saw to close that 4th quarter, if we go too far into our bench we can lose a lot of ground really quickly. Just because we are up 18 at halftime doesn’t mean Kellie is just gonna go to the end of the bench in SEC play.

At this point I fully trust Kellie and her staff as far as personnel decisions go. So if Emily isn’t getting time, there is a reason. Same with Karoline. If you want to win a championship you’ve gotta get over that and stay positive. I’ve been the bench player before, your attitude on that bench, even if you don’t play 1 second, is just as important as anything that happens on that floor. Stick with it ladies!

yet another coach saying “we were getting wide open shots we just weren’t hitting them.”

No, actually, you hit the #1 FG% defense in the country and you struggled!!! Just call it what it is.

They did take a lot of open 3s but that’s because they had to shoot from 30’ all night. They got very few good looks at the basket after that first quarter. Their post got a few looks on the pick and pop but once we adjusted they really didn’t get anything else out of their offense all night. Most the rest of their scores were transition buckets off turnovers and they still missed a lot of those.

Didn't see many wide open shots. They got to shoot it 75 times how terrible are you saying your offense is if you get 20 more shots and still lose by 14.

VN Store

Back