Could Ga or Bama beat Detroit, Jax, Jets?

Kind of piggy backing off the point I was making earlier.

It appears that the entire 2019 LSU offense is in the NFL.

Joe Burrow throwing the ball to Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase and company, handing it to Clyde Edwards-Hellaire, etc., is going to be a hell of a lot better than what the Jets, Jags, and Lions are putting on the field. Not to mention, I don't know if there are any backups from that squad who were freshman that are NFL worthy

There are also defensive players like Grant Delpit, Patrick Queen, Derek Stingley, etc., that are in the league. Again, they may not have had a full defensive squad that is NFL worthy.

I'm betting there is an Alabama team from the past that did have a full 40+ future NFL players and could put a legitimate starting 22 on the field.

Again, kids don't beat adults.....but, all grown up, I think some of these college teams are as talented, if not more.

Especially since, as was mentioned before, that 2019 LSU team has future pro bowlers and hall of famers. And the Lions, Jets, etc., don't. I don't think the Jaguars have ever had a WR as good as Jamar Chase in the history of their franchise. The best they ever had was Jimmy Smith.

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005

Joe Burrow throwing the ball to Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase and company, handing it to Clyde Edwards-Hellaire, etc., is going to be a hell of a lot better than what the Jets, Jags, and Lions are putting on the field. Not to mention, I don't know if there are any backups from that squad who were freshman that are NFL worthy

There are also defensive players like Grant Delpit, Patrick Queen, Derek Stingley, etc., that are in the league. Again, they may not have had a full defensive squad that is NFL worthy.

I'm betting there is an Alabama team from the past that did have a full 40+ future NFL players and could put a legitimate starting 22 on the field.

Again, kids don't beat adults.....but, all grown up, I think some of these college teams are as talented, if not more.

Especially since, as was mentioned before, that 2019 LSU team has future pro bowlers and hall of famers. And the Lions, Jets, etc., don't. I don't think the Jaguars have ever had a WR as good as Jamar Chase in the history of their franchise. The best they ever had was Jimmy Smith.
I don't think that's a particularly surprising thing though. There are a handful of programs that not only put lots of guys in the league, but guys from those schools go on to be long-time productive NFL players. Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, etc.

It isn't all that surprising that if you took the "finished product" versions of the players from one of those teams that was really good and compared them to a currently bad NFL team like the Jags, that the finished product version of the college players looks better.

I don't think that's a particularly surprising thing though. There are a handful of programs that not only put lots of guys in the league, but guys from those schools go on to be long-time productive NFL players. Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, etc.

It isn't all that surprising that if you took the "finished product" versions of the players from one of those teams that was really good and compared them to a currently bad NFL team like the Jags, that the finished product version of the college players looks better.

For me, this is what the argument really is though. We all know a team of 18-22 year olds can't beat professionals.

But, I think it's sad that a team of 18-22 year olds is clearly more or as talented as a professional team.

After all, as was said earlier, they are teams of paid professionals that are scouted and developed. They are supposed to be the best of the best.

It's not just that a guy like Chase is better than any WR on the Jets, Jags, or Lions. It's that it isn't close. How many years have these teams been bad and had ample opportunity to draft people and sign free agents, and they still haven't been able to acquire a level of talent close to what is on some of these college teams. Well, LSU was able to. They also had some scrub named Justin Jefferson.

For me, this is what the argument really is though. We all know a team of 18-22 year olds can't beat professionals.

But, I think it's sad that a team of 18-22 year olds is clearly more or as talented as a professional team.

After all, as was said earlier, they are teams of paid professionals that are scouted and developed. They are supposed to be the best of the best.

It's not just that a guy like Chase is better than any WR on the Jets, Jags, or Lions. It's that it isn't close. How many years have these teams been bad and had ample opportunity to draft people and sign free agents, and they still haven't been able to acquire a level of talent close to what is on some of these college teams. Well, LSU was able to. They also had some scrub named Justin Jefferson.
A current team of 18-22 year olds isn't more talented than a current professional team. IMO, it isn't particularly interesting or revelatory that a team full of the future versions of the players on elite college teams could probably beat a current NFL team who is terrible.

If you took middle school students from elite private schools and compared them to a group of 45 year olds of below average intelligence, you could easily make the argument that the future adult versions of the students are smarter than the adults are currently. It isn't all that surprising. Are they currently smarter than the adults? Hell, maybe one of the kids is who is exceptionally gifted (call him the Ja'marr Chase of the group), but on the whole, no.

A current team of 18-22 year olds isn't more talented than a current professional team. IMO, it isn't particularly interesting or revelatory that a team full of the future versions of the players on elite college teams could probably beat a current NFL team who is terrible.

If you took middle school students from elite private schools and compared them to a group of 45 year olds of below average intelligence, you could easily make the argument that the future adult versions of the students are smarter than the adults are currently. It isn't all that surprising. Are they currently smarter than the adults? Hell, maybe one of the kids is who is exceptionally gifted (call him the Ja'marr Chase of the group), but on the whole, no.

I see your point.

It's just hard to imagine in other sports under the same scenario. Phi Slamma Jamma would have a hard time winning a game even with a grown up Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon because the rest of the squad isn't NBA caliber. Maybe Jordan's team with Worthy and Sam Perkins.

But, it would take that level of greatness. Maybe, one of the UCLA teams from back in the day.

Detroit or theJets this year would beat 2019 LSU by 4 TDs easily. There is no Bama team that could ever hang with an NFL team. Even as bad as the Browns were for years, they would have destroyed the absolute best college teams.

2001 Miami, 1995 Nebraska, 2019 LSU, 2008 UF, 2020 Bama, 2005 Texas, 2014 OSU. All historically great college teams. Not one would stand a chance against any NFL team.

I see your point.

It's just hard to imagine in other sports under the same scenario. Phi Slamma Jamma would have a hard time winning a game even with a grown up Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon because the rest of the squad isn't NBA caliber. Maybe Jordan's team with Worthy and Sam Perkins.

But, it would take that level of greatness. Maybe, one of the UCLA teams from back in the day.
Basketball is a totally different sport because of the number of players on the field of play and roster size, but the same concept probably holds. The future versions of those UNC teams that featured MJ, Worthy, and Perkins could have beaten a bad NBA team of the day, as would many of Wooden's UCLA teams.

Take a more recent example; Calipari's 2011-12 UK team had Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, then 3 guys that bounced around between the NBA/G-League/foreign leagues. It was a really good college team obviously but I don't think anybody would say it is one of the greatest college times of all time. However, if a scrub NBA team played against the peak versions of that starting 5, I bet it could be a close game.

Good analysis. But when this question gets asked every year, the person is never asking about the future adult versions of the players on the college team. The person is always asking could 95 Nebraska, 01 Miami, 19 LSU, etc beat the worst team in the NFL right then. And the answer, of course, will always be no. And it's never close. And it isn't that complicated, 18-22 year olds aren't beating adults.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I watched that game when I was a child. It was rarely a decent game and even then cause pros never took it serious. Anyone thinking it would isn’t very intelligent about football

Put an all star team together of UGA and Bama players from 2021 and I'd take them over the worst NFL team this year.
With UGA and Bama players you are likely lining up with more top three round draft picks than you are getting with some of the currently constructed NFL rosters. And for a lot of guys, they peak physically at 21 and 22 years old.

Put an all star team together of UGA and Bama players from 2021 and I'd take them over the worst NFL team this year.
With UGA and Bama players you are likely lining up with more top three round draft picks than you are getting with some of the currently constructed NFL rosters. And for a lot of guys, they peak physically at 21 and 22 years old.

I wouldn't.

They would get their physically peaked asses kicked into the dirt.

VN Store

Back