Required reading for Vol Hoops fans

Did he get a fake ID? Rick knows how old he is and he took him. He’s got to own these player outcomes. If they are not developing, that’s on the coaches. Do all the players know where the weight room is? Admiral and Pons found it.

Lack of strength isn't holding back BHH. It’s the mental part. He was easily able to out physical his high school opponents. He’s taking a big step. It’s affecting Chandler as well. ZZZ adapted very well, probably from always being undersized and he learned long ago how to compete with bigger opponents in NY.

The psychological reasons for why a player does or doesn’t give enough effort span a pretty broad spectrum. I love ZZ. I love his story. I don’t think that’s necessarily a counterpoint to BHH struggling.
Fair enough. I do think ZZ's situation is a counterpoint to BHH struggling, but perhaps not because of the reasons I listed for BHH's struggles.

Take 10 minutes and read this article from Grant Ramey, Rick Barnes was very candid and open about quite a few topics and gave some very in depth answers, pretty rare to get this much from a coach mid season. He talks about BHH’s struggles and what he needs to do, talks about shooting woes, Victor Bailey and more…

Rick Barnes on Brandon Huntley-Hatfield: 'His teammates told him we need you'
I didn't see anything other than material on BHH? Is it that late? LOL

I was 17 when I started college. My sister was 17 for several months as a college freshman. Neither of us skipped a grade. Most kids are 6 years old when they begin 1st grade, not 7. Some, like my sister, we’re still 5. Very few high school sophomores are old enough to drive at the start of the school year because they are 15.

BUT… if BHH was held back somewhere along the way, he wasn’t only the biggest kid in his class. He would have also been the oldest. He’s probably just not too mature for somebody that physically able.
Right. When you begin 1st grade you’re 6. You turn 7. Now count. You get to turning 18 in 12th grade but you start 12th grade as a 17 year old. The exception would be summer birthdays when you could potentially start early.

Right. When you begin 1st grade you’re 6. You turn 7. Now count. You get to turning 18 in 12th grade but you start 12th grade as a 17 year old. The exception would be summer birthdays when you could potentially start early.

BHH does have a summer birthday. Somewhere along the line he was either held back a year or prep school was going to include a 13th year. He went to prep school for 4 years in 3 states. If he was held back a year he was around kids in his class that were all generally younger than him. That doesn’t help with maturing mentally and makes it even easier to dominate his classmates physically.

BHH does have a summer birthday. Somewhere along the line he was either held back a year or prep school was going to include a 13th year. He went to prep school for 4 years in 3 states. If he was held back a year he was around kids in his class that were all generally younger than him. That doesn’t help with maturing mentally and makes it even easier to dominate his classmates physically.
Summer birthdays are tough. You have to decide if your 5 year old is ready for Kindergarten or needs another year. One of my 3 sons has a July birthday but it just so happens he’s autistic so it was an easy decision to wait another year. BHH will just need more time, hopefully here and not somewhere else. You can see he has talent.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Summer birthdays are tough. You have to decide if your 5 year old is ready for Kindergarten or needs another year. One of my 3 sons has a July birthday but it just so happens he’s autistic so it was an easy decision to wait another year. BHH will just need more time, hopefully here and not somewhere else. You can see he has talent.

BHH is actually the youngest player on the roster. Even Tamba is a few months older.

Did he get a fake ID? Rick knows how old he is and he took him. He’s got to own these player outcomes. If they are not developing, that’s on the coaches. Do all the players know where the weight room is? Admiral and Pons found it.
It's simple to say a coach isn't developing him. But playing with some energy cannot be coached. You can beg for it all you want, players have to look in the mirror and bring it. Coaches can't coach every single thing on the floor.

I was 17 when I started college. My sister was 17 for several months as a college freshman. Neither of us skipped a grade. Most kids are 6 years old when they begin 1st grade, not 7. Some, like my sister, we’re still 5. Very few high school sophomores are old enough to drive at the start of the school year because they are 15.

BUT… if BHH was held back somewhere along the way, he wasn’t only the biggest kid in his class. He would have also been the oldest. He’s probably just not too mature for somebody that physically able.

He was born in August 2003, so he turned 18 at the start of Freshman year so that's pretty normal. I started as a 17 yo turned 18 in October. I think he will not grow any more height-wise some do but small %. Hopefully, he will see an S&C change and embrace it. I think it was a good move to reclassify because I think another year of languishing in HS would just be spinning his wheels. It's up to him he can do like a high schooler and say when Fulk graduates I'll get more playing time and go thru the motions of a college experience or get his butt in gear. If he wants to play in the NBA. Portal will not help him it's basically up to him.

Last edited:
He was born in August 2003, so he turned 18 at the start of Freshman year so that's pretty normal. I started as a 17 yo turned 18 in October. I think he will not grow any more height-wise some do but small %. Hopefully, he will see an S&C change and embrace it. I think it was a good move to reclassify because I think another year of languishing in HS would just be spinning his wheels. It's up to him he can do like a high schooler and say when Fulk graduates I'll get more playing time and go thru the motions of a college experience or get his butt in gear. If he wants to play in the NBA. Portal will not help him it's basically up to him.
These days those kids are mostly getting held back a year.

Reactions: berryvol
This is just about a kid transitioning to college. Every kid, athlete or not, deals with it. Less than halfway through the season, he can still pick it up.
I dealt with this as a freshman in college, too. I didn't turn 18 until I was already several weeks into my freshman year. Very immature and felt out of place living on my own away from home for the first time. My freshman year was essentially a waste of time and money, and I nearly landed on academic probation. It wasn't the freedom that was my enemy. It was the lack of structure and study habits I was never forced to learn in high school because it all came natural to me without having to study.

Not sure if another year of age and teenage wisdom would have made a difference for me, but I graduated as an honor student when all was said and done. The learning curve was just much steeper for me as a result. Could be the same thing that is happening with BHH.

Did Rick really expect him to be a KEY piece or was this to be more of a learn and develop year? That is the real question!
Yes, Rick took him.
He also took Tamba and has not seen the floor!
AND we do not know what the plan was OR is! So, patience is our friend.

Did Rick really expect him to be a KEY piece or was this to be more of a learn and develop year? That is the real question!
Yes, Rick took him.
Exactly. We really don’t have a clue as to what the plans are, or how they might be altered in-season.

Yes, Rick took him.

It’s pretty obvious that Tamba was always expected to redshirt.

The really hard to figure players are Deboundje and Aidoo. Both have only been in 5 games and Aidoo has had medical issues to appeal. It’s possible that the staff is hoping for a retro-active red shirt rule change on QD and JA similar to what is allowed with football.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by the problems cited in the article. His perceived work ethic was discussed in his recruiting evaluations, on message boards, and was rumored to be a significant concern for the staff. There were some very descriptive comments about his approach in high school. I distinctly remember discussions from both people here, and analysts on websites, who wondered if he would be able to commit to the level of work the staff wanted to see from him, particularly when contrasted with style of coaching Barnes employs.

Reactions: Lankykong
Admiral Schofield opens up on recent three-game suspension

Kind of reminds me of the Admiral situation a little. Lets see if BHH responds the same way the Admiral did. CRB called him out too, even suspended him for a couple of games.
Seems like several forgot about that. That worked out pretty dang good for all involved. If he needs petted to death he probably needs to go home or elsewhere. When a Coach don’t yell and scream at you there’s a good reason. Look in the mirror.

VN Store

Back