SIAP, but looks like Kellie Harper turning out…

He just happened to be in the driver's seat when it became clear patience with Holly had ran out, and a new hire had to be made.

I am not trying to belittle Fulmer's tenure. Or minimize him landing her. But had Kellie not been a former Lady Vol? Would he
have gotten her? Maybe, maybe not. Pat left a big enough legacy to land anyone, but I am sure the fanbase for the Lady Vols
wanted one of our own to come home and take the reins.

Right after she was hired, I just happened to be shopping at a Kroger's store. Turned out Kellie just happened to be there as well.
As I was shopping that day wearing a Tennessee hoodie, I think I passed by her maybe three times, and did not recognize her until we were checking out. Did not say anything to her, but as we were leaving, I did say, "Welcome Home, Coach" in passing.

I am glad she is back, and glad she is getting this program on track again. But as to praising Fulmer for the hire? It is what it is. Would Hart
or Currie have gotten her had it happened earlier? I don't know. Would our current AD have hired her? Again, I don't know. Is what it is.
Fulmer had little if anything to do with the coaching change. Cronan and others with deep ties to the program fulfilled Pat’s wishes. Kellie after Holly.

This constant revisiting of the Kellie hire is bizarre to me. I don't get it. if she had turned into a bad hire, then I MIGHT be able to understand a desire to examine the process. Obviously, it's quite the opposite. So what does it matter whether Fulmer was the driver, or not? It's done. It's settled. It's in the win column. It's spilled mile and water over the dam.

To those who say: we don't want it done again like (we think but don't really know) how it was done with her, well, that makes no sense at all either. After all, it presumes there will need to be another LV coaching search in the coming years. And there's no reason now to think that might happen. And there's the fact that the AD in Kellie's hire is not there anymore, so the intrigue about which old Pat allies influenced the last AD (if in fact they did) is irrelevant.

Why can't we just get on with enjoying Kellie's tenure and let all of that go? I guess people like Dirt_Ball, who hate our program and Kellie, uses it as a way to express hatred. But even at that, it's gotten ridiculous.

This constant revisiting of the Kellie hire is bizarre to me. I don't get it. if she had turned into a bad hire, then I MIGHT be able to understand a desire to examine the process. Obviously, it's quite the opposite. So what does it matter whether Fulmer was the driver, or not? It's done. It's settled. It's in the win column. It's spilled mile and water over the dam.

To those who say: we don't want it done again like (we think but don't really know) how it was done with her, well, that makes no sense at all either. After all, it presumes there will need to be another LV coaching search in the coming years. And there's no reason now to think that might happen. And there's the fact that the AD in Kellie's hire is not there anymore, so the intrigue about which old Pat allies influenced the last AD (if in fact they did) is irrelevant.

Why can't we just get on with enjoying Kellie's tenure and let all of that go? I guess people like Dirt_Ball, who hate our program and Kellie, uses it as a way to express hatred. But even at that, it's gotten ridiculous.
This x1000!

And it's goooooooooood.

One thing you mentioned about Pat's legacy got me to thinking. Would any "big-name" coach, short of getting a huge bump in pay, really have wanted to follow Pat? Saban went to Alabama where the Bear was canonized, but at least there a lot of mediocre Bama coaches between him and Bryant. At least we got someone who won championships under Pat, coaches like Pat, reminds the fan base of Pat, and embodies Pat's best qualities with passion, class, and grace. And it seems to be paying off.

I have no idea how the pay bump would have worked. The hiring and retaining of Holly was probably with Pat's blessing. And I cannot criticize that. Pat probably felt she would do well. But it just did not work out. And I am sure that as long as Pat was living, that was not going to change. But Pat passed on June 28, 2016. From that point onward, why it took until March 27, 2019 to fire Holly just befuddles me. Dave Hart did not stick around long enough to handle it, and Currie was not here long enough, thanks to Fulmer taking over. IMO, this move took two years too long, thanks to Fabulous Phil.

Now, had they let Holly go in 2017 or 2018? Who would they have gone after? No telling and it is a mute point. The program's misery went on, Holly got a nice Fulmer buyout, and we now have Kellie instead of maybe getting her a year or two earlier. If not her? Maybe they could have brought home Nikki Caldwell-Fargas. But it is what it is, and history cannot be changed. The Lady Vols are returning to prominence, and I am happy it is happening. Finally.

People want to keep some weird conspiracy theory alive -- Fulmer was set to hire {insert name of favored male coach) but the dreaded "blue haired" mafia warned he would be sleeping with the catfishes in the Tennessee river unless he hired a former LV.

Is there any basis to these rabid claims. Nope!! but why let facts get in the way of good conspiracy tale.

I’m sure most of us remember that Fulmer’s announcement of Harper’s hiring was not greeted with a lot of enthusiasm. ”She was hired because she’s a former Vol”. “She doesn’t have enough of a winning record”. She has proved this board wrong. Imagine that! 😊

I don't give a hoot about what the "board" was wrong about. I was not against her at all. I knew we needed a former lady Vol in there. But we needed the right Lady Vol. Finally got her. It is what it is.

People want to keep some weird conspiracy theory alive -- Fulmer was set to hire {insert name of favored male coach) but the dreaded "blue haired" mafia warned he would be sleeping with the catfishes in the Tennessee river unless he hired a former LV.

Is there any basis to these rabid claims. Nope!! but why let facts get in the way of good conspiracy tale.

There is no conspiracy. Fulmer did Fulmer things, and extended Holly. Nothing so dramatic, just really dumb.

There is basis, Fulmer's own words via the Knoxville News Sentinel. Not a "weird conspiracy theory" at all. We cleared this up in another thread last week. This most definitely happened.

Lady Vols hire Kellie Harper: Phillip Fulmer says Tennessee ties essential

Fulmer said it “was essential” to hire someone with Lady Vols ties, although he didn’t begin the hiring process with that line of thinking.

“I was a bit in the mindset of, ‘We need to find the best coach. Male, female, Lady Vol, not, just whoever is going to be the best at this moment,’” Fulmer said. “I’m telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to.”

Fulmer said athletic department administrators Angie Boyd-Keck, Donna Thomas and Tara Brooks told him the importance of hiring someone with a connection to the program.

The reason its still of interest to me is that I want to know how close the program is to being able to honor its storied past without that past being used as an anchor around the neck that continues to pull it backwards.

I'm glad as hell the Kellie hire has worked out, it's a beautiful story. Obviously she's hitting it out of the park so far, espec this year. But it was a gamble (as is every hire) since she had a 15 yr coaching record that was not elite.

All I want to know is if/when there's need for a new coach, the AD will be free to hire the best possible candidate, any gender any background. As long as that is not the case, I believe it will be hard for the program to ever sustain elite status.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
There is basis, Fulmer's own words via the Knoxville News Sentinel. Not a "weird conspiracy theory" at all. We cleared this up in another thread last week. This most definitely happened.

The reason its still of interest to me is that I want to know how close the program is to being able to honor its storied past without that past being used as an anchor around the neck that continues to pull it backwards.

I'm glad as hell the Kellie hire has worked out, it's a beautiful story. Obviously she's hitting it out of the park so far, espec this year. But it was a gamble (as is every hire) since she had a 15 yr coaching record that was not elite.

All I want to know is if/when there's need for a new coach, the AD will be free to hire the best possible candidate, any gender any background. As long as that is not the case, I believe it will be hard for the program to ever sustain elite status.
It amazes me that so much space and arguments over this subject can fill up a message board. What difference can it make? It is over and done, no matter what the circumstances are in the hiring of Kellie. Thank God for it, but let's move on. I know, I don't have to read any more postings on this subject. And I will not. but just amazed so many bright people can get embroiled in this tempest in a teapot.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

The water carriers are STILL disputing this fact? Disappointing, but not surprising... :rolleyes:

It amazes me that so much space and arguments over this subject can fill up a message board. What difference can it make? It is over and done, no matter what the circumstances are in the hiring of Kellie. Thank God for it, but let's move on. I know, I don't have to read any more postings on this subject. And I will not. but just amazed so many bright people can get embroiled in this tempest in a teapot.

It's a Lady Vol topic on a Lady Vol forum. If you deem it unworthy of discussion, it's much easier to scroll on by than stop to b**** about it.

Not complicated...

Reactions: glv98

Yes he did. Not too long AFTER extending Holly. Want to keep singing his praises? I won't be your tenor.

NOT singing his praises. Just stating facts so that we can move on from this incessant caterwauling about the great conspiracy of blue hair LV boosters who tied Phil down to a RR track until he cried uncle and agreed to Kellie's hire.

What makes you feel that - today, this day - that the current AD is not - or might not be - free to hire the best candidate regardless of gender or background?

Where comes this idea that Harper has succeeded? This year is going well, so far, and I hope we can make a serious title run this year. I want
Harper to succeed and return this program to prominence and annual title contention--but Harper and her staff have not exactly been lighting it up on the recruiting trail. In fact, it continues to be, it would seem, a struggle. She hasn't recruited anyone as good as Burrell, Horston or Key, correct? That's a concern. We won't be 15-1 in two years unless Harper and staff start landing some big-time prospects.

As for the idea that we needed to hire someone who was connected to the program. If that was the thinking, it was pretty dumb. Fulmer's job was to hire the best coach he could find--period. Not the best coach he could find with a connection to the program. Most of the best college coaches through the years--in any sport--were not alums of the colleges where they had great success. Beyond that, it's not there are a lot of accomplished women's basketball coaches out there with UT connections. In fact, I think there were only two--and neither could be described as "accomplished." In any case, while I'm not a fan of parochial thinking (and no one should be), I want Harper to succeed. The program badly needs her to succeed. We badly need to make a serious NCAA tourney run this year because it should/could give recruiting a boost. Once prospects see the program is on the upswing, recruiting should improve if Harper has the right people in place and she can start closing the deal on top prospects. Fingers crossed...

What makes you feel that - today, this day - that the current AD is not - or might not be - free to hire the best candidate regardless of gender or background?
What makes me feel and fear it is the fact that being free to hire the best has never happened before, and it's reasonable to think the same faction would try to keep the gender/family tree restriction going forward. I do believe, and hope, as we move farther away from the old days it becomes less likely that the old school restrictions would be imposed.
It is your OPINION that the blue hairs forced Phil to hire Kellie, not a fact.
No, see above. It is fact straight out of his mouth per the News Sentinel. I know the unfortunate trend right now is toward "alternate facts" but this has been settled. It happened.

Where comes this idea that Harper has succeeded? This year is going well, so far, and I hope we can make a serious title run this year. I want Harper to succeed and return this program to prominence and annual title contention--but Harper and her staff have not exactly been lighting it up on the recruiting trail. In fact, it continues to be, it would seem, a struggle. She hasn't recruited anyone as good as Burrell, Horston or Key, correct? That's a concern. We won't be 15-1 in two years unless Harper and staff start landing some big-time prospects.
This program had taken on so much damage when KJH took over that it was always going to be a long, laborious process to get recruiting back to an elite level. It now appears she is on a good path to get there. We gotta win, we gotta be a contender and then I believe the recruiting will take care of itself.

What she has succeeded at is restoring the culture which was badly damaged. Kellie getting an A+ in chemistry. Also succeeded wildly this season in stringing together the bits and pieces under adverse circumstances to win games. One of the hardest coaching jobs is making more out of less and so far, she's done that.

VN Store

Back