Will Barnes Wear An Orange Sport Coat?

Volfan1000

To honor Mears at Lexington and Nashville?

Our previous head coaches did wear one during this road trip.

To honor Mears at Lexington and Nashville?

Our previous head coaches did wear one during this road trip.
Coaches have quit wearing sport coats, suits etc…they go with more casual athletic gear…even prior to that though Barnes hasn’t worn one before, not sure why 7 years in you think he’d start now? Guess that’ll be another Pearl > Barnes thing.

Man I used to love watching Mears strut around Vandy's gym during warm ups and prior to tip-off.

I miss listening to John Ward describing the oranges raining down from Vandy’s student section.

In front of the crowd at games in Lexington versus Rupp, instead of quietly walking to TN’s bench he’d walk across the middle of the court sending them into a rabid frenzy. I wish that there was more of that history saved on video.

Last edited:
The Orange sport coats are great for fans and fan nostalgia. The wins over Kentucky and Vandy are better. I would like to see Rick in one, but also wouldn't mind if he never wears one. Just keep making Rupps Rafters the most fun place on the internet.

Cuonzo wore it well. Buzz was respectful with it. The two huckster former coaches wore it more to satisfy their own narcissistic need for attention.

Coaches have quit wearing sport coats, suits etc…they go with more casual athletic gear…even prior to that though Barnes hasn’t worn one before, not sure why 7 years in you think he’d start now? Guess that’ll be another Pearl > Barnes thing.
Coaches went casual very fast. Feels like it happened mostly during the Covid season. Too bad. Jay Wright always looked great.

Reactions: MadisonvilleVol
Imagine spending the rest of your life pining over a coach who will never return and who no other coach will ever live up to his inflated reputation.

Honestly, I don't understand why those kinds of people don't just become Auburn fans. If Tennessee basketball makes them so unhappy and Bruce Pearl gives them such a sense of fulfillment, it's really odd that they would eternally punish themselves with the convoluted belief that perhaps the prodigal son will ever return.

Such anguish that must be to hold inside.

I think many if not probably all coaches contractually can't even do that stuff anymore, they get paid to wear apparel. There was an NFL coach about 10 years ago or so that wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines as a tribute to a coach and had to get permission to do so, even going to the extent that the apparel company actually made him a suit to wear so that he was still wearing their brand.

Coaches went casual very fast. Feels like it happened mostly during the Covid season. Too bad. Jay Wright always looked great.
It’s funny, because just last night the spouse and I had this very conversation. She said “most wore them and then they didn’t almost overnight.” One thing is for sure, you would never catch Bobby Knight in anything but that sweater.

Reactions: Plecoptera
It’s funny, because just last night the spouse and I had this very conversation. She said “most wore them and then they didn’t almost overnight.” One thing is for sure, you would never catch Bobby Knight in anything but that sweater.

backing-you-get-yours.gif

I think many if not probably all coaches contractually can't even do that stuff anymore, they get paid to wear apparel. There was an NFL coach about 10 years ago or so that wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines as a tribute to a coach and had to get permission to do so, even going to the extent that the apparel company actually made him a suit to wear so that he was still wearing their brand.
No it’s not that, it started with COVID when there weren’t fans in attendance, and has just stuck.

Baseball managers and coaches have to wear them because they are regularly on the field of play. Football and basketball coaches are supposed to be on the sidelines.

That's not really true, at least in MLB. It's just a holdover of the days of player managers and the changing of what the role of managers actually was. there are no rules that mandate what coaches have to wear. Now other levels of baseball, maybe there are mandates.

Why Do Baseball Managers Wear the Same Uniforms as Their Players?

VN Store

Back