Transfers that’d still have eligibility had they stayed

I do not think that those players listed at the top could be a R32 or Sweet 16 team. All great kids, but not a Sweet 16 team.

I didn’t say S16 without KJ and JS. Those 8 alone don’t have enough guards, especially a PG (Kwe Parker is done).

With a favorable matchup they could win a game and make the R32. But most likely they’d be seeded at the bottom and be bounced by a 1-4 seed.

Nice to see Davonte Gaines doing well at George Mason. I liked his Defense and hustle for the Vols. A little surprised by his shooting/scoring efficiency.

@Thunder Good-Oil would you trade any of those guys for current roster player?

I think the only person you could even consider taking would be Burns. I’m not sure if his success at Winthrop would translate to the P5, but another low post threat on this team would certainly help.

Otherwise, no. All those dudes left for a reason. We lost in the R64 last year with a much better roster than what’s up top. I don’t see them even making the tournament let alone the R32.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
@Thunder Good-Oil would you trade any of those guys for current roster player?

I’m pretty happy with the current roster but Gaines, Jalen, and one of the Walkers or Burns could help. Some aren’t here due to reasons other than skills and I wouldn’t want the current chemistry disrupted. I’d want to know more about reasons why some were run off. Anosike didn’t have quite enough size. Kent must have had more chronic injuries because he just started getting in games again. We never got to know Corey Walker, but wasn’t he supposedly really good on the offensive end but apparently wasn’t buying in on learning the defense?

TN could use somebody that would be counted on to generate offense while not being a weak link on defense. That player might not exist in the first 8.

There is a lot of talent there. I think as a group they could beat the right 6, 7, or 8 seed. But no true PG - Davonte and Jalen would need help. Perhaps they could be gel playing zone on the defensive end.

It still amazes me how bad Anosike was even against scrub teams. He's been phenomenal at Cal State.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Barnes gave him ample chances to bloom here.

Unfortunately, Springer and Johnson took nearly all of his minutes last year. He would have thrived in the current lineup. I’d love to see Davonte on the receiving end of passes from Chandler and ZZZ. With his defense he’d possibly be playing nearly 20 mpg this year.

Reactions: walkenvol and VOLED
Unfortunately, Springer and Johnson took nearly all of his minutes last year. He would have thrived in the current lineup. I’d love to see Davonte on the receiving end of passes from Chandler and ZZZ. With his defense he’d possibly be playing nearly 20 mpg this year.

Not unfortunate, a direct result of who produced. He lost his minutes by not producing.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Not unfortunate, a direct result of who produced. He lost his minutes by not producing.

He lost his minutes last year because the two one-and-done players that are now in the NBA had his same skill set and more. And adding KC and ZZZ in the off season meant Vescovi and JJJ would be taking more minutes on the wing. Gaines doesn’t have the physique to be a strong 4/5 post. Has nothing to do with “not producing”. It has everything to do with an embarrassment of riches at his position.

Reactions: walkenvol
He lost his minutes last year because the two one-and-done players that are now in the NBA had his same skill set and more. And adding KC and ZZZ in the off season meant Vescovi and JJJ would be taking more minutes on the wing. Gaines doesn’t have the physique to be a strong 4/5 post. Has nothing to do with “not producing”. It has everything to do with an embarrassment of riches at his position.
He was the big ticket, but couldn't live up to the billing.

I wanted his shots to go down

they didn't

Last edited:
He was the big ticket, but couldn't live up to the billing.

I wanted his shots to go down

they didn't

There was not a PG like KC or ZZ that would have found him slashing to the rim or dropping it off for him on fast breaks. His strong defense would be far outpacing his offensive end liabilities.

There was not a PG like KC or ZZ that would have found him slashing to the rim or dropping it off for him on fast breaks. His strong defense would be far outpacing his offensive end liabilities.

He missed most all of those bunnies at the rim.

It was ugly

Possibly a Round of 32 team by themselves and a Sweet 16 or EE with those two at the bottom.

EJ Anonsike
DJ Burns
Davonte Gaines

Jalen Johnson
Zach Kent
Drew Pember
Corey Walker
Derrick Walker

Bold are the only ones I'd want on current roster.

EJ, Kent, Pember, Jalen all can produce at the level their at none were able to do it at bigger levels though. Derrick Walker is a maybe, I said Corey because he was a high rated kid and is still young. Probably would have been a far better player had he stayed here for 4 years and toughened up to the expectations Barnes puts on his players (same goes for DJ). Gaines was always a high effort player and his length/rebounding and willingness to drive would be welcomed with current team.

I think had DJ stayed put he'd be so much better for it and would definitely be a bigger contributor than Uros.

Bold are the only ones I'd want on current roster.

EJ, Kent, Pember, Jalen all can produce at the level their at none were able to do it at bigger levels though. Derrick Walker is a maybe, I said Corey because he was a high rated kid and is still young. Probably would have been a far better player had he stayed here for 4 years and toughened up to the expectations Barnes puts on his players (same goes for DJ). Gaines was always a high effort player and his length/rebounding and willingness to drive would be welcomed with current team.

I think had DJ stayed put he'd be so much better for it and would definitely be a bigger contributor than Uros.

I really liked several of those guys. Especially JJ and DW. But I can’t complain that the transfering didn’t work out for both sides. I think that Walker has some dog in him that Uros and ORN are just now starting to display.

I really liked several of those guys. Especially JJ and DW. But I can’t complain that the transfering didn’t work out for both sides. I think that Walker has some dog in him that Uros and ORN are just now starting to display.

Yeah, thing with JJ was at Wake early on he got ample minutes and just didn't really show anything. I think he's a good player, but his production at the P5 level was never going to "wow" ya.

Derrick Walker is a late bloomer for sure, I'm sure if he had it all to do over again he would have put the effort/focus in early on and he'd probably be showing that dog in the SEC with plenty of draft hype around him. He should have been the guy stepping up to replace Grant but took him until now (5th year in college) to learn what that requires.

With interior options such as Aldridge, Durant and Thompson at Texas, the question I ask is why has Barnes whiffed so much on inside players at Tennessee other than Williams and Fulkerson?

Is it evaluation?

With interior options such as Aldridge, Durant and Thompson at Texas, the question I ask is why has Barnes whiffed so much on inside players at Tennessee other than Williams and Fulkerson?

Is it evaluation?

Really tall, highly skilled players are pretty rare and most with size will be projects. Uros has been hated on relentlessly by the VN degenerate trolls. But he’s really just TN’s 4th ever true (regular) 7 footer (Boerwinkle, Kosmalski, Hamer) and he still has 2.5 years of eligibility. I loved how he’s diving on the floor for loose basketballs. I love how he’s sealing off defenders to create lanes to the rim. I love how he rarely fumbles away the ball when the offense is in motion.

VN Store

Back