The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

What's the scouting report on USC?

Looks like they have a similar record, but not nearly as tough of a schedule as the Vols.

Should be a W. Hopefully the Vols show some signs of getting into an offensive rhythm.

Need to feed Fulky early and often Saturday in hopes we can get Oscar in foul trouble.
Powell or Bailey need to step up and hit some shots.
Need to put as much pressure on Tyty as possible.

I’d say at this point there’s very little chance Powell’s on the roster next year. Probably same for Aidoo and BHH as well sadly

I’d say at this point there’s very little chance Powell’s on the roster next year. Probably same for Aidoo and BHH as well sadly

Why would Aidoo leave?

And BHH wouldn’t be a big loss.

He’s hardly contributed with his lazy work effort.

Why would Powell leave and have to sit a year? Aidoo, I believe there is a plan for him and that he seems to be engaged and on board with it.

BHH is the one I can see bolting.

Reactions: berryvol
We matchup better against Kentucky than LSU.

TyTy is 6'3"
Grady is 6'5"
Wheeler is 5'10"
Mintz is 6'3"
Their biggest big is 6'9" and they really only have two guys that see lots of minutes over 6'7" (Oscar & Brooks).

They may play Toppin & Collins more though to try and take advantage of us playing small ball. But from a guards vs guards standpoint I like this matchup more than LSU. Think KC, ZZ, Santi, Powell, Mashack can keep that group in check a bit better than the LSU guys.

All of LSU's guards were 6'2" or taller and their forwards played more like guards and were all 6'7" or taller. (Eason, Days, Fudge, Reid)

Reactions: berryvol and jmva1
Why would Powell leave and have to sit a year? Aidoo, I believe there is a plan for him and that he seems to be engaged and on board with it.

BHH is the one I can see bolting.

This.

But BHH also reclassified to come this year. So I think he may have wanted an extra year with Barnes to develop. I don't think Powell is going to leave and sit somewhere else, he's getting plenty of minutes and growing as a player.

This.

But BHH also reclassified to come this year. So I think he may have wanted an extra year with Barnes to develop. I don't think Powell is going to leave and sit somewhere else, he's getting plenty of minutes and growing as a player.
It seems like BHH reclassified to get to the NBA a year earlier. I don't think he came to Tennessee with plans to be a multi-year player, even though that is his likely path, now. Although, his reclassification is a bit of a myth. He was always a '22 kid, but young for his grade. He reclassified to 2023 early on, and then dropped back into the '22 class, last spring.

It seems like BHH reclassified to get to the NBA a year earlier. I don't think he came to Tennessee with plans to be a multi-year player, even though that is his likely path, now. Although, his reclassification is a bit of a myth. He was always a '22 kid, but young for his grade. He reclassified to 2023 early on, and then dropped back into the '22 class, last spring.

I don't think he's ever been a 1 & done, and I believe he realized that. The extra year is better spent in college, but that doesn't mean he couldn't still transfer out. 1 year at UT, then 1 year at somewhere else could be a possibility. I hope that's not the case, but ya really never know anymore.

I feel good that these guys are here next year.

Guards: ZZ, Powell, JJJ, Santi, Mashack
Bigs: Uros, Aidoo, Tamba, Olivier

BHH & Quentin could be potential candidates to transfer out. Also JJJ or Santi could potentially leave early as well. But I feel like both want another year. Tamba & Aidoo both I think were always going to use this year to RS and get stronger. I'm hoping Quentin and BHH are both of that same mindset, but with the free transfer rule now who knows.

Reactions: Volprofch05
I don't think he's ever been a 1 & done, and I believe he realized that. The extra year is better spent in college, but that doesn't mean he couldn't still transfer out. 1 year at UT, then 1 year at somewhere else could be a possibility. I hope that's not the case, but ya really never know anymore.

BHH & Quentin could be potential candidates to transfer out. Also JJJ or Santi could potentially leave early as well. But I feel like both want another year. Tamba & Aidoo both I think were always going to use this year to RS and get stronger. I'm hoping Quentin and BHH are both of that same mindset, but with the free transfer rule now who knows.
Don’t see why Quentin would transfer out, but there seemed to be smoke about Santi leaving even this last offseason to play ball in Europe, so with the improvement he’s shown that seems even more likely this next offseason. I’m not counting on him being back

Yeah, I don't think he was ever one and done, either, I'm just convinced he believed that until reality hit him square in the face when he enrolled at Tennessee. I'm still shocked that he can't find the floor more than 2-3 minutes per game, right now. It isn't like we have some elite-level bigs playing ahead of him. I'm afraid someone is going to get in his ear and convince him he deserves better.

Yeah, I don't think he was ever one and done, either, I'm just convinced he believed that until reality hit him square in the face when he enrolled at Tennessee. I'm still shocked that he can't find the floor more than 2-3 minutes per game, right now. It isn't like we have some elite-level bigs playing ahead of him. I'm afraid someone is going to get in his ear and convince him he deserves better.

I hope being around Santi (someone who went through the "I'm not in good enough shape to play at this level" himself) that BHH is just not as conditioned for the D1/SEC grind of college ball like he thought he was. It happened to Grant, Admiral, Walker, Burns, etc. some step up and some step out. We'll see what BHH decides after the season I guess.

Don’t see why Quentin would transfer out, but there seemed to be smoke about Santi leaving even this last offseason to play ball in Europe, so with the improvement he’s shown that seems even more likely this next offseason. I’m not counting on him being back

Quentin may well stay put, if Santi leaves early and more minutes are available then I think he stays. But Santi didn't get a full season his first year and has been playing catchup a bit since. I feel like this year is his first season really showing his capabilities and another season could give him a real shot at the NBA and being a late pick...but I don't know that the foreign students get the same sort of NIL benefits as US kids do. So if he gets the call he wants from the European league he may be gone.

Reactions: Vol49er
Also other than BJ Edwards are we bringing in anyone else for next year's class?

Assuming KC leaves and Bailey is done we should have another spot available right? (I know Fulky doesn't count towards our limit so him leaving doesn't gain us a spot)

Also other than BJ Edwards are we bringing in anyone else for next year's class?

Assuming KC leaves and Bailey is done we should have another spot available right? (I know Fulky doesn't count towards our limit so him leaving doesn't gain us a spot)
At this point is KC leaving a guarantee? Latest kick has him at #26 with that trend going down? I’m sure at least someone leaves, whether it’s Bailey/KC/BHH etc. It seems like portal is probably going to snag at least 1 player, and then they’re still looking at 4-5 high school guys still.

I hope being around Santi (someone who went through the "I'm not in good enough shape to play at this level" himself) that BHH is just not as conditioned for the D1/SEC grind of college ball like he thought he was. It happened to Grant, Admiral, Walker, Burns, etc. some step up and some step out. We'll see what BHH decides after the season I guess.

Quentin may well stay put, if Santi leaves early and more minutes are available then I think he stays. But Santi didn't get a full season his first year and has been playing catchup a bit since. I feel like this year is his first season really showing his capabilities and another season could give him a real shot at the NBA and being a late pick...but I don't know that the foreign students get the same sort of NIL benefits as US kids do. So if he gets the call he wants from the European league he may be gone.

I also worry about Vescovi heading abroad after this year. Also, reports indicate that international student athletes on student visas are not allowed to accept NIL deals:

Uros Plavsic explains why he's unable to sign NIL deals

Uros creatively and generously figured out that NIL funds could go to charity, though:

Tennessee Center To Raise Money For Charity With NIL Deals | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

I don’t see an NBA future from Santi. Not one at all to denigrate his game, he’s a really really solid college player, but I don’t think he has the traits to be an NBA draft pick

All of the handwringing over players that MIGHT leave is hilarious. If somebody leaves early, someone better MIGHT transfer in as a replacement.

I don’t see an NBA future from Santi. Not one at all to denigrate his game, he’s a really really solid college player, but I don’t think he has the traits to be an NBA draft pick

The league is so 3pt shooter driven I think he's got a better shot than most on here give him credit for. Now does that mean he gets drafted? Nope.

All of the handwringing over players that MIGHT leave is hilarious. If somebody leaves early, someone better MIGHT transfer in as a replacement.

Discussion =/= handwringing

We have quite a few high rated recruits that aren't getting as many minutes as they probably expected/wanted. And the free transfer has changed things on if a player sticks around long enough to earn minutes.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster

Sure, but I think about it for more than just wins & losses. My boys (8 & 10), who were a little too young to fully appreciate the Grant/Admiral years, are now huge Vescovi fans. So, even though TN hoops will roll on either way, I'd be dealing with some sad youngsters if he moves on.

The discussion about offense/defense got me thinking about who we are similar to, so checked out Barttorvik because they have the model that will compare your team to past teams and match you with most similar profiles based on offense/defense/tempo.

Compare Efficiency Profiles - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

Louisville under Rick Pitino is a common theme here, the 3 most similar are 2009, 2011 & 2015 Louisville, thought that was pretty interesting. The site only goes back to 2008, but from there…

Tennessee current numbers:
Offense: 108.0 for 85th nationally
Defense: 88.1 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 69.9 for 112th nationally

2009 Louisville: 1 seed Elite 8
Offense: 112.0 for 32nd nationally
Defense: 85.4 for 2nd nationally
Tempo: 68.2 for 105th nationally

2015 Louisville: 4 seed Elite 8
Offense: 109.4 for 59th nationally
Defense: 87.4 for 4th nationally
Tempo: 65.6 for 135th nationally