State Of TN misses

I love CJH. I love the direction. Just wanting to know if its possible for us to get top in state talent., Not that its an end all be all to "win in state" I just know it was dreams for us as kids... Today its AL or UGA... I know its about Fit and other things but how does the Pride come back at playing for UT? Winning def helps, relationships ..

Yeah Mitchell made a very nice play last night. He's more of a Texas kid, but he spent two years is TN.

Regardless, does that one play OR his play all -season match up to Cedric Tillman?
No. So should we lock down the state of Nevada instead lol?

I wanted UT to go after him harder, but they took Walker Merrill instead. And I'm still okay with that.

You get your talent where you can find it nowadays. But the OP makes a good point. Albeit one that is made on a regular basis.
Making inroads with your home state HS players is important, though you made not get them to sign. With the state of recruiting
and transferring becoming more commonplace right now, that player might go somewhere else, and decide to enter the portal.

Van Jefferson was one who played his HS ball in Tennessee. Went to Ole Miss, and transferred to Florida once Ole Miss went through what it went through. Had Tennessee been a little more impressive with their lavel of competency at the time? We might have gotten him on one of those two decisions. That is just one example, and I am sure others will kick in others.

The point I am making though, is Tennessee need to maintain an allure of stability. Sure, you can get on twitter, and everytime anyone gets an offer from Tennessee, that player tweets how "Blessed" they are. They tweet the same thing when offered by anyone else. And everytime we have something screwy happen, they often lose a good committment within 48 hours.

But you are right about Tillman. He was not all that highly regarded when he was being recruited. But his work ethic and how he has performed should make him a high draft pick once he is done. I am damn proud of him.

How would you fix it? Unfortunately, geography, history, and demographic change patterns don't help UT. If I am not mistaken there are 5 and maybe 6 SEC schools closer to Memphis than K'ville. Yes, Nashville is growing and more top talent plays in the area now. But many of those kids are from somewhere else or the people who influence them (coaches, friends, et al) are from some where else. The same thing that helps UT recruit ATL, hurts UT in Nashville.

Winning and playing good football will help change it. There were 34 4/5* players in Georgia this year. UGA signed or has a commitment from 8 of those 34. In fact, they got 8 out of the top 50 in GA. For reference, UT got 5 of their top 34.

Bama signed 6 of the 15 4/5* players in Alabama.

I agree that you want to get most of the best in-state players... but recruiting is different even for top schools than it was 30 years ago. "Locking down" your state is neither as easy or as relevant to success as it used to be.

No, it really isn't. And Alabama's in state success? It is pretty easy to do that when you have their record. They may have only gotten 6 of 15, but one phone call from them gets a player's attention. Success breeds success.

In the same time frame Alabama has enjoyed their run with Saban, what has Tennessee done? Not as much, except in the drama department. If we can see a two or three years run of stability? It will definitely lead to better interest from recruits. In state, out of state, or out from who knows where?

Reactions: VoltillweFall
No, it really isn't. And Alabama's in state success? It is pretty easy to do that when you have their record. They may have only gotten 6 of 15, but one phone call from them gets a player's attention. Success breeds success.

In the same time frame Alabama has enjoyed their run with Saban, what has Tennessee done? Not as much, except in the drama department. If we can see a two or three years run of stability? It will definitely lead to better interest from recruits. In state, out of state, or out from who knows where?
I am not aware of a time when UT did consistently well in state even under Fulmer's "stability". Are you? I'm not throwing stones. It is what it is. I just don't believe its all that meaningful to complain about UT's in state recruiting. There are some good in state players who don't want to play for UT. There are some good out of state players who do. I don't think where a kid is from matters like it used to.

Does it Anger anyone as much as me seeing kids from TN go off on the big stages? Adonai Mitchell, Zion Logue, Woody, Master T. And others to come..... Just kids we've missed playing at top Schools with Significant roles 🤬 we just have to capture more than 1 out of 10 players in our home state annually. I personally know some and they didn't hate UT just our coaches didn't even recruit them near as hard as we should.

TN has to be a priority. Not a rankings guy but even to just build some bridges for future with top recruits. Gotta get some of the mid of road guys... Build some instate pipelines previous coaches broke.

This tired crap again. Who cares where the instate guys go? Get the best players from wherever you can. There is absolutely ZERO guarantee that any TN HS kid that goes to another school and balls out would do the same here.

Think about it. You think Higgins would have gotten drafted as high as he did coming to TN? Would Adonai Mitchell be as good here? Who knows? The state of TN doesn’t need to be a priority for recruiting. Get a few guys you think you need and let the others go wherever they want. There are always gonna be guys that go elsewhere and ball out. Then there will be fans using 20/20 hindsight to say oh look these TN kids should have come here, we missed. Blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: LittleVol
So now we're making excuses that include the whole last fifteen year hiring history of this program? That's rich. I suppose now we'll be told that a coach has to be given at least fifteen years before judging his results.
No…just one. What big **** closer are you wanting to replace our current fraud? 😏

You get your talent where you can find it nowadays. But the OP makes a good point. Albeit one that is made on a regular basis.
Making inroads with your home state HS players is important, though you made not get them to sign. With the state of recruiting
and transferring becoming more commonplace right now, that player might go somewhere else, and decide to enter the portal.

Van Jefferson was one who played his HS ball in Tennessee. Went to Ole Miss, and transferred to Florida once Ole Miss went through what it went through. Had Tennessee been a little more impressive with their lavel of competency at the time? We might have gotten him on one of those two decisions. That is just one example, and I am sure others will kick in others.

The point I am making though, is Tennessee need to maintain an allure of stability. Sure, you can get on twitter, and everytime anyone gets an offer from Tennessee, that player tweets how "Blessed" they are. They tweet the same thing when offered by anyone else. And everytime we have something screwy happen, they often lose a good committment within 48 hours.

But you are right about Tillman. He was not all that highly regarded when he was being recruited. But his work ethic and how he has performed should make him a high draft pick once he is done. I am damn proud of him.

The talent level is good now In-State to where you can legitimately build the foundation of each class starting in-state and working your way out.

But the OP is acting like we just don't get any good Tenn kids. Our leading rusher was from Memphis. Cade Mays will be our top NFL draftee possibly- Knoxville. So on so on.

Why doesn't he mention Zamir White from NC at UGA? ANY OF THEIR STARTING defenders...mostly from Florida and GA?

That UGA team is mostly GA kids. You could probably win a National Championship in College Football if your roster was made of 100 percent GA kids.
Could UT do the same if their roster was required to be 100 % TN ?? Doubtful....

Zion Logan and Adonai Mitchell weren't even highly ranked In-State guys...but UGA wanted them anyway. They can have them! Give UT Zamir White! Or the UGA backups on defense lol!

So now we're making excuses that include the whole last fifteen year hiring history of this program? That's rich. I suppose now we'll be told that a coach has to be given at least fifteen years before judging his results.

Yeah clearly a former head coach has zero influence on what happens in the next year right? So it was all Heupels fault right? Pruitt caused nothing right? Your logic seems very sound.

I love CJH. I love the direction. Just wanting to know if its possible for us to get top in state talent., Not that its an end all be all to "win in state" I just know it was dreams for us as kids... Today its AL or UGA... I know its about Fit and other things but how does the Pride come back at playing for UT? Winning def helps, relationships ..

Is it possible to get the top TN talent? Sure. But it won’t happen this year. It will likely take another year or 2. The damage Pruitt did is gonna take awhile to fix.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
From recent 247 article….seems our state IS important to this staff.

Our entire staff, from me on down, has placed great importance on recruiting this state the right way. That means spending a lot of time getting to know coaches and people that are influential here inside of the state, taking phone calls from VFLs that watch a guy on Friday night and like what they see.
-Huepel

Does it Anger anyone as much as me seeing kids from TN go off on the big stages? Adonai Mitchell, Zion Logue, Woody, Master T. And others to come..... Just kids we've missed playing at top Schools with Significant roles 🤬 we just have to capture more than 1 out of 10 players in our home state annually. I personally know some and they didn't hate UT just our coaches didn't even recruit them near as hard as we should.

TN has to be a priority. Not a rankings guy but even to just build some bridges for future with top recruits. Gotta get some of the mid of road guys... Build some instate pipelines previous coaches broke.

Doesn't seem to bother Florida or Georgia as guys from those states play elsewhere. Georgia just won a national championship and only has 4 of the top 10 players in their own state. What a disappointment of a class! Florida only has 1 in the top 25 (that actually is a horrible class).

People like to think recruiting kids from TN is better because they'll, "want it more," or something ridiculous like that. It's complete garbage. You traditionally recruit your home state because it's supposed to be easier. When you're terrible for a generation, you don't get the benefit of easy instate recruiting. That means we'll just build inroads to Georgia, Alabama, NC, and Florida which all have better talent. Step off the ledge, we'll be fine.

Reactions: SugarCC and bignewt

Yes. That’s on the coaches.

No.

What "others to come"?

I’m more pissed about all off of transfers out that we lost that starting in all these bowl games!

First play of the game, Hightower took a pitch on a sweep. He slipped and my son got him for a couple yard loss.
Next series……same play…..and the de-cleating happened.
After the game, he laughed and said, “I got him once.” ;)
Fulmer would probably still be head coach if he’d been able to land Hightower, and Saban is probably a position coach at a directional college in the Midwest without him.

Reactions: peaygolf
Yeah clearly a former head coach has zero influence on what happens in the next year right? So it was all Heupels fault right? Pruitt caused nothing right? Your logic seems very sound.
The complete and utter lack of sense in your post is impressive. Try working on reading comprehension. Read some books, or a lot of them perhaps, and eventually you may develop the ability to think.

The complete and utter lack of sense in your post is impressive. Try working on reading comprehension. Read some books, or a lot of them perhaps, and eventually you may develop the ability to think.

Sounds about right coming from you. Thanks.

VN Store

Back