Screw Georgia

I'm glad to see the national championship go to a team in the SEC East finally. Sure I wish it was us. But at least it's not Alabama. I think we all understand that we're not going to get over the hump until we can recruit on defense a heck of a lot better than we have. And then we're going to have to develop that Talent. It's doable. We've got about a five-year window to make something happen it's going to take us about five years to build a legit program. We can get into the top 20 next year. Then top 10 the following year. After that, we'll flirt with the playoffs like GA and Clemson did.

Reactions: LTVol and 1989Vol
Congrats to GA for keeping NC in the SEC but they are still my most hated team because their fans are so obnoxious. I grew up in Chatt with GA right on the boarder and lived in GA for 3 yrs until I could get another job and get the hell out. My dislike runs deep and long.

Last edited:
We won 7 games this year and was possibly 5 to 10 more positive plays on offense away from 10 wins. If you look at The Pitt, Ole Miss, and Purdue game we had the chance in the end to win those games. I am not really for sure how to look at this season because after 5 coaching hires we finally hired a coach that applied a scheme on offense that allowed us to look better than we may have been. The first stage of the process of winning is believing that you can win and I think that much was achieved this year which is already a improvement from the last 3 by far. I think it will really show next year that this football team really believes it can win and that will go a long way in us becoming a lot better football that doesn't only competes but wins.

OK. Now let's look at it this way. First can we expect to score more points in the years to come (meaning say, 10 more per game) I think that would put us near 40-45 per game. I don't think this could happen. So lets say we score the same or on occasion a few more. Now, second and this is a big one. Can our defense improve by lets say only 10 or so points per game. That would put us at allowing somewhere around 25-30 points allowed. Third yes any reasonably good recruiting, teaching, and game coaching staff can get a defensive team to this level. So we should be fine if what I think is true. Fourth and no little problem. Can you keep a guy from "looking to greener pastures" long enough to get him to the level needed.

This is a serious question. How do we get back to the top? Seriously. I just don’t see it. I mean did any of you really take a good look at UGAs and Bamas OL and DL? And let’s not even mention LBs. How can we honestly ever expect to get the Will Andersons, Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean type of players?

One or two every two or three years maybe. But not the number on the field and in waiting on these two squads. However, unless the "pay" is really good, these or no other team will be able to "stock pile" great players in waiting. They will bolt.

Reactions: SpookyAction
2019 NC Game 44-16 Clemson over Alabama
2020 NC Game 42 - 25 LSU over Clemson
2021 NC Game 52 - 24 Alabama over Ohio State

I don't disagree that you have to have a good defense, but it doesn't have to look like Georgia's or Alabama's.
Past tells us you do have to be "Elite" on one side of the ball and good on the other.

This year you had an Elite defense and a decent offense win the National Championship.

You have to also put into consideration that when Alabama's offense was humming during the SEC Championship game with both WR's in play it made that D look average, and Georgia's less than stellar offense folded under the pressure.

Personally, I think the Offensive Coordinator lost that game for Bama.

Reactions: TN1111
We look like a HS team compared to those teams.

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).

giphy.gif

We look like a HS team compared to those teams.

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).

That's the way it was, even this year. However, with the portal and pay, I expect that in regards to 2-3 deep (can't really tell the difference in 1-2-3 deep) no one will be able to count on that kind of depth going forward. From here on, the way the rules or lack of rules stand how, most teams, if not all, will not know until the dust settles on recruiting and transferring is over about the time spring training starts just who they can count on.

Congrats to GA for keeping NC in the SEC but they are still my most hated team because their fans are so obnoxious. I grew up in Chatt with GA right on the boarder and lived in GA for 3 yrs until I could get another job and get the hell out. My dislike runs deep and long.

I think this and their now gone disgusting announcer are the major things that cause many (me included) to have bad feeling about Ga. sports.

This still doesn’t wipe away the fact that they’ve underachieved all these years. They are not a dynasty program in the making.

Georgia has never had a problem getting talent. In the last five years, they and Bama have risen to a level in recruiting that is hard to undo. At this point, they’re superpowers. We may upset one or both of them on a bad day, but challenging them regularly is far in the distance, and will require a high level of recruiting over several classes.

We may not be able to rise to their level, but with the "money" out there they may ease back to where we can compete. I know GA. and Ala. have got money, but no where near the A&M, Texas, Ok, USC and a few others, so them "cleaning up on stars" will not be so easy. With this and the portal, I see a sort of parity coming.

I honestly can’t believe I’m saying this but I would pull for Bryce Young over Bennett 365 days a year. Night and day in composure and class.

Now, it’s hard to judge a kid after he just won a NC but just found Bennett unlikeable despite an amazing story. Probably just me having a “Get off my lawn” moment. 😂

congrats to Georgia for winning and beating 'Bama and Coach Saban - to beat them is a great win along with a championship

Reactions: CigarDawg
I’m tired of hearing about how we will NEVER be able to compete. Tired of hearing how hopeless our defense is. Most of you HAVE TO BE under 30. Vols just won 7 games and possibly should/could have won 3 more. Was at least competitive vs the Big 3 … something we haven’t seen in 5 years. And anyone thinking high 4 and 5 stars will jump on the bandwagon this soon into a rebuild is wishful thinking at best. It won’t happen next year - but there’s a good chance we’ve turned a corner … maybe NOT. But if you can’t enjoy a little success NOW you need to move on with your life or get on board with roll tide and how bout dem dawgs.

This is a serious question. How do we get back to the top? Seriously. I just don’t see it. I mean did any of you really take a good look at UGAs and Bamas OL and DL? And let’s not even mention LBs. How can we honestly ever expect to get the Will Andersons, Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean type of players?

Win the games we are supposed to first. Build off of those wins and hopefully knock off a big dog or two as you increase talent levels. Once elite players have confidence in the program and where it is going, we hopefully start landing top talent. This goes without saying that the coaching staff needs to put all hands on deck to recruiting top talent. Maybe we can squeeze one or two away from the big dogs like Tyre West, and build on that.

I’m tired of hearing about how we will NEVER be able to compete. Tired of hearing how hopeless our defense is. Most of you HAVE TO BE under 30. Vols just won 7 games and possibly should/could have won 3 more. Was at least competitive vs the Big 3 … something we haven’t seen in 5 years. And anyone thinking high 4 and 5 stars will jump on the bandwagon this soon into a rebuild is wishful thinking at best. It won’t happen next year - but there’s a good chance we’ve turned a corner … maybe NOT. But if you can’t enjoy a little success NOW you need to move on with your life or get on board with roll tide and how bout dem dawgs.
I will give you 100 stars for optimism but if losing to FL, GA, and Bama by 24, 24, and 28 pts is competitive, then I guess we've been competitive since 1891.

I will give you 100 stars for optimism but if losing to FL, GA, and Bama by 24, 24, and 28 pts is competitive, then I guess we've been competitive since 1891.
Final scores aren’t always indicative of how close a game was. Last night is a perfect example

Yet Leach's defense was #30 this year and UT was #99. Heupel's defenses at UCF were near the bottom also.
It's probably been pointed out, but with the style of offense we run, and the pace we run it at, we're never going to have a top statistical defense. That little time of possession is going to wear a D out. Just how it is.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Win the games we are supposed to first. Build off of those wins and hopefully knock off a big dog or two as you increase talent levels. Once elite players have confidence in the program and where it is going, we hopefully start landing top talent. This goes without saying that the coaching staff needs to put all hands on deck to recruiting top talent. Maybe we can squeeze one or two away from the big dogs like Tyre West, and build on that.
There is no excuse for letting fricken KY came into your state and take 3 of your top players. If we had kept most of our in state talent UT would have had a top 5 recruiting class.

It's probably been pointed out, but with the style of offense we run, and the pace we run it at, we're never going to have a top statistical defense. That little time of possession is going to wear a D out. Just how it is.
Leach actually created this style of offense lol. That has nothing to do with getting off the field on 3rd down (where we ranked near the bottom). Didn't FL, GA, Bama, and KY score TDs on their opening possessions? Why would a defense be worn down at the start of the game?

Reactions: TN1111
Well I'm convinced that we have made the necessary upgrades at the top with a new AD and with Boyd and Plowman. They just weren't in any position to get a high-calibre coach and staff to turn the program around at the snap of a finger. AD White has foresight and all you debbie-downers are wrong in forseeing UT as a middle of the pack SEC football team in the future. That's my opinion but we'll be near the top soon enough. Where there's a will there's a way!!!
When academia controls the purse strings of athletics it’s never a good thing.

Reactions: Fullfillmer

VN Store

Back