Screw Georgia

We look like a HS team compared to those teams.

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).

Unless things change Tennessee will always be a middle of the road team. There is no catching anyone unless we pay a lot of money. The sooner you accept it the easier it will be moving forward

No. Jimbo Fisher beat him this season. Smart is the only former Bama assistant to beat Saban. Jimbo was under Saban at LSU.

Yea, now the hype will be “no former offensive assistant to Saban at Alabama has ever beaten Nick” 😂

This is a serious question. How do we get back to the top? Seriously. I just don’t see it. I mean did any of you really take a good look at UGAs and Bamas OL and DL? And let’s not even mention LBs. How can we honestly ever expect to get the Will Andersons, Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean type of players?

Unfortunately consistently getting that level of talent all through your two deep only happens when you become a destination school. Becoming a destination school requires a great coaching staff who can develop good players into a great team. You have to show recruits that your school has a legitimate chance at making the playoffs and that your players get drafted into the NFL before you can load up your roster with elite talent.

Georgia used to ask the same question. We were decimated roster-wise and yet set a program record for points scored. With a halfway decent defense this year we win 9 this year. That’s with a new coach coming in late and trying to change the culture.

I don’t believe things are as bad as people want to believe.
Georgia has never had a problem getting talent. In the last five years, they and Bama have risen to a level in recruiting that is hard to undo. At this point, they’re superpowers. We may upset one or both of them on a bad day, but challenging them regularly is far in the distance, and will require a high level of recruiting over several classes.

That game last night revealed just how far we are from competing for an SEC championship. We don't have one player on defense that would see the field for either of those teams. I'm going to try to enjoy our team as they are fun to watch, just not going to delude myself into thinking we can be a contender anytime soon. I will always love the vols (and hate everyone else in the SEC), but we have a long way to go. GBO!!!

Agreed. I don't get the "pull for the conference" bs.

5a56d48c5d7646b304db3ebeab0a30fc.gif

Yet Leach's defense was #30 this year and UT was #99. Heupel's defenses at UCF were near the bottom also.

This is THE scary stat that Heupel sychophants ignore when screaming he needs an extension now. No he doesn't until he can win against the big boys of the SEC.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
This is THE scary stat that Heupel sychophants ignore when screaming he needs an extension now. No he doesn't until he can win against the big boys of the SEC.[/QUOTE]

This is THE scary stat that Heupel sychophants ignore when screaming he needs an extension now. No he doesn't until he can win against the big boys of the SEC.

I'm going to slightly disagree with you here.

If CJH's offense stays solid and he can consistently win 7-8 games, UT needs to have some stability and keep him locked in. What UT needs is a Defense. The Offense is there.
Grabbing a new coach every 3-4 years and praying that he's the guy to match up with Bama and Georgia is a pipe dream. Getting to that level is going to take time ................lots of time.

I say stick with him for 7-8 years and see what happens. It ain't gonna get worse than it has been. Stability is really needed. I personally don't see UT being an every year contender, but once or twice a decade, UT can be, with a solid defense.[/QUOTE]

We look like a HS team compared to those teams.

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).
Going to be hard to be in the top five recruiting classes with Bama, Georgia, and A&M almost locking up the top three yearly. Ohio State is also always up there as well. And you have schools like Texas and Southern Cal that will throw heavy money at NIL as well.

Tennessee needs to get organized and run football like what it is a separate business entity not a cash cow for academia to fleece. The fact that we’re still decent recruiting speaks to where the program could go if it were organized and ran better.

Our problem is and will always be is recruiting. This program has slipped so far behind it’s just about going to be impossible to catch up. There’s no doubt that heupel could coach a team to a NC but without top tier players, it’ll never happen in my opinion.

If Steson Bennett can win a Natty, any QB playing under Huepel is capable.

It takes a team and not one man to win a game. What good is a QB if he has no one to catch his passes. Or an OL to block for him? And a lot more. It takes a team.
Had the UT possessed even an adequate defense, we'd have won possibly ten games all told. Take a team, a whole team to win.

Reactions: Winchester73
If Steson Bennett can win a Natty, any QB playing under Huepel is capable.

Stetson Bennett is the most white bread QB I've ever seen. That defense won them the Natty. Smart is just lucky Bennett didn't eff it up or Dawg fans would be calling for his head. Also lucky that Bama was down 2 starting CBs and Jameson Williams went down in Q2.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That game last night revealed just how far we are from competing for an SEC championship. We don't have one player on defense that would see the field for either of those teams. I'm going to try to enjoy our team as they are fun to watch, just not going to delude myself into thinking we can be a contender anytime soon. I will always love the vols (and hate everyone else in the SEC), but we have a long way to go. GBO!!!

Theo Jackson absolutely would have been a starter for either team, imo. Alontae Taylor probably would have too, especially with Bama missing their top 2 corners. But other than that, no one else on our defense would have saw the field last night, imo.

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
What you saw tonight is the assurance that UT will only get rejects from the state of Georgia now. Our donors seem more interested in picking coaches than helping NIL, and our recruiting is now dead in the water moving forward.

Reactions: Defaultuser
Going to be hard to be in the top five recruiting classes with Bama, Georgia, and A&M almost locking up the top three yearly. Ohio State is also always up there as well. And you have schools like Texas and Southern Cal that will throw heavy money at NIL as well.

Tennessee needs to get organized and run football like what it is a separate business entity not a cash cow for academia to fleece. The fact that we’re still decent recruiting speaks to where the program could go if it were organized and ran better.
Well I'm convinced that we have made the necessary upgrades at the top with a new AD and with Boyd and Plowman. They just weren't in any position to get a high-calibre coach and staff to turn the program around at the snap of a finger. AD White has foresight and all you debbie-downers are wrong in forseeing UT as a middle of the pack SEC football team in the future. That's my opinion but we'll be near the top soon enough. Where there's a will there's a way!!!

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
Well I'm convinced that we have made the necessary upgrades at the top with a new AD and with Boyd and Plowman. They just weren't in any position to get a high-calibre coach and staff to turn the program around at the snap of a finger. AD White has foresight and all you debbie-downers are wrong in forseeing UT as a middle of the pack SEC football team in the future. That's my opinion but we'll be near the top soon enough. Where there's a will there's a way!!!
Been hearing similar thoughts for almost 20 years now.

VN Store

Back