Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 70 - Ole Miss 58

I guess I missed the comments where posters were complaining about Beuckers still being in the game. Guess that is something I care little about who is in the game regardless of score. I've seem Mulkey, that coach at Maryland, Dawn, Tara and a lot of other coaches leave starters in when the game was decided. I think with five minutes to go you need more than a 11 point lead to start bringing the end of the bench players into the game. If it had been 20 points we would not have seen any of them comeback. Hard to define starter anyway since any of our top 9 players could be a starter on any given day. All of them have been starters except Miles and she certainly is starter quality.

From the Vandy highlight I've seen.....Ralph is running the old UConn weave in front of the basket. That always gave us problems because UConn passed the ball so well from 3 feet. Vandy lost today against a short-handed MSU team so I expect them to come ready to play the Lady Vols.
We will beat Vandy by 20 plus. Not concerned with Shea Auriemma

This is the Due I’ve been hoping to see. What a great game. This is Horston’s team currently, and it’s a good thing. Another poster mentioned no TOs for Puckett and Darby, but they ar won’t the backbone of this team. On inbounds, when no one is moving enough or open, it is Jordan who gets the ball thrown up to her and us to chase it down. The whole team leans on her and Tamari relies on her for most of her feeds into the post. At this point she is like a Didi Richard’s 2.0. Defense, rebounding, leading and assists. Oh, but she also puts up points. 20 of them today.
Last year I said Jordy would be our next AA. Feeling good about that although Rae and Tamari may accompany her!!

I guess I missed the comments where posters were complaining about Beuckers still being in the game. Guess that is something I care little about who is in the game regardless of score. I've seem Mulkey, that coach at Maryland, Dawn, Tara and a lot of other coaches leave starters in when the game was decided. I think with five minutes to go you need more than a 11 point lead to start bringing the end of the bench players into the game. If it had been 20 points we would not have seen any of them comeback. Hard to define starter anyway since any of our top 9 players could be a starter on any given day. All of them have been starters except Miles and she certainly is starter quality.
mins after old miss walker 423 key 397 dye 367 puckett 359 miles 340 darby 331 green 227 wynn 131 strpline 97 rennie 86 burrel 58 sanders 54

Key back in with four minutes to go after sitting out first six minutes of fourth quarter to replace Green, Horston, Dye in with Key four minutes to go to replace Puckett, Walker was in and bench player Miles was in to finish the game.
So Key, Horston, Dye, Walker and Miles to end the game.

Wait...Coach played starters till the end of the game when they were up by 12? Oh the horror. Or is that a "bad" coaching accusation only reserved for other teams? Or is it only a bad decision if a player gets hurt? Please, let me hear your excuses.
This is rich. Firstly, Kelly has been faulted on this board frequently for giving out too many minutes to her non-starters. Secondly, 12 points is a 4 possession game, and against a team that is leaving its starters in and play slapping, chaotic defense it is not even sensible to take out the starters with 2 minutes left.

Wait...Coach played starters till the end of the game when they were up by 12? Oh the horror. Or is that a "bad" coaching accusation only reserved for other teams? Or is it only a bad decision if a player gets hurt? Please, let me hear your excuses.

If you’re trying to relate this to Buecker’s you’re just looking stupid and showing your a**. She was still in and it was a 20 point deficit. There was zero reason for her to be on the floor.

A 12 point lead in the SEC is something that can evaporate in 30 seconds. Something UCONN fans wouldn’t know anything about playing in cupcake conferences for the last 30 years.

An oldie but a goodie what strikes me most watching this is how FAST this team could play. They could flat get up and down. Candace herself is so fast and has never really gotten enough credit for it. She was chasing down guards on the break and swatting their shots. She coulda been a track star as well.

This post is about last night's game, not the 2007 game:

Ole Miss had momentum and was on a nice run at the end. Their defense was in all-out, do ANYTHING to regain possession mode and were doing a great job of making Tennessee turn it over. That game never felt like a win to me until almost the very end. Yes, some of that may be my own issues, but I know Ole Miss was going at it HARD and with determination until the bitter end. I actually admired them for it.

Last edited:
A 12 point lead in the SEC is something that can evaporate in 30 seconds.

I don’t know which is more insane. That you actually believe this or that 5 other posters liked it.

A 12 point lead with 30 seconds left is just as secure as UConn’s 20 point lead.

And your two best players were just as vulnerable to injury during those 30 seconds as Bueckers was.

I don’t know which is more insane. That you actually believe this or that 5 other posters liked it.

A 12 point lead with 30 seconds left is just as secure as UConn’s 20 point lead.

And your two best players were just as vulnerable to injury during those 30 seconds as Bueckers was.
Soooooo, your suggesting that at 30 seconds left in a tense 4th quarter with a 12 point lead, Kelly should have subbed out the starters in order to get some subs in? No coach does that unless it’s senior night/some player’s last game and they’re injured a la Izzie Harrison. Such a ridiculous argument. Yall want to find fault with Kellie’s and Tennessee’s product you should look elsewhere.

Soooooo, your suggesting that at 30 seconds left in a tense 4th quarter with a 12 point lead, Kelly should have subbed out the starters in order to get some subs in? No coach does that unless it’s senior night/some player’s last game and they’re injured a la Izzie Harrison. Such a ridiculous argument. Yall want to find fault with Kellie’s and Tennessee’s product you should look elsewhere.
Nope, not suggesting that she sub out the starters.

Not finding fault at all. Coach Harper is doing a great job.

Just finding fault in the statement that an SEC team could score 12 points against another SEC team in 30 seconds.

The year is 2016, No. 11 seed Northern Iowa leads No. 3 seed Texas A&M 69-57 with 44 seconds to go in the second round of the 2016 NCAA tournament. Out of an A&M timeout, Jalen Jones stole the inbounds pass and flushed it, cutting the lead to six before a Danuel House 3-pointer made it a one-possession game. The Panthers scored once more, but Alex Caruso answered with a 3-point play and Gilder picked up another steal along the baseline before tying the game at 71. The game needed double overtime to be decided. But the Aggies had momentum and history on their side, advancing 92-88 into the Sweet Sixteen.

Nope, not suggesting that she sub out the starters.

Not finding fault at all. Coach Harper is doing a great job.

Just finding fault in the statement that an SEC team could score 12 points against another SEC team in 30 seconds.

The year is 2005, UNLV, riding a three-game winning streak, trails 81-71 at San Diego State with less than 20 seconds to play. Odarty Blankson started a rally with five quick points, first putting back an offensive rebound before a quick change of possession and a foul while attempting a 3-pointer. With the deficit halved and 13.6 seconds to play, SDSU's Trimaine Davis missed a pair of free throws and Jerel Blassingame buried a triple. SDSU had one more opportunity to push its lead back to two possessions but Davis split free throws, allowing Curtis Terry to get up the floor and knock down an off-balance 3 as time expired. UNLV used that momentum to win 93-91 in overtime.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The year is 2016, No. 11 seed Northern Iowa leads No. 3 seed Texas A&M 69-57 with 44 seconds to go in the second round of the 2016 NCAA tournament. Out of an A&M timeout, Jalen Jones stole the inbounds pass and flushed it, cutting the lead to six before a Danuel House 3-pointer made it a one-possession game. The Panthers scored once more, but Alex Caruso answered with a 3-point play and Gilder picked up another steal along the baseline before tying the game at 71. The game needed double overtime to be decided. But the Aggies had momentum and history on their side, advancing 92-88 into the Sweet Sixteen.
And neither team was Tennessee vs Ole Miss.

It wasn't going to happen even with the bottom of the bench in the game for Tennessee.

The year is 2005, UNLV, riding a three-game winning streak, trails 81-71 at San Diego State with less than 20 seconds to play. Odarty Blankson started a rally with five quick points, first putting back an offensive rebound before a quick change of possession and a foul while attempting a 3-pointer. With the deficit halved and 13.6 seconds to play, SDSU's Trimaine Davis missed a pair of free throws and Jerel Blassingame buried a triple. SDSU had one more opportunity to push its lead back to two possessions but Davis split free throws, allowing Curtis Terry to get up the floor and knock down an off-balance 3 as time expired. UNLV used that momentum to win 93-91 in overtime.
And neither team was Tennessee vs Ole Miss.

It wasn't going to happen even with the bottom of the bench in the game for Tennessee.

VN Store

Back