Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basilio is going in on Barnes today, which is fine. I’m not a big Barnes critic, but the man makes 5 mil a year, so he can take some heat when things aren’t going well (I didn’t like the Fulky quote either).

But here’s my problem: I’ve heard Tony all offseason, when he was crusading about our NIL deficiencies, say that Rick Barnes had a super-class ready to sign, but the NIL and the university’s lack of readiness for it sunk the class.

But today, when he’s crusading against Barnes, suddenly Barnes is a “lazy recruiter,” and Barnes is responsible for letting his class fall apart.

Tony, which is it? If we’re going to make judgments on Barnes going forward, that seems like something your listener base would need you to be clear about.

I get why Barnes said what he said...
1641832755264.png

Uros, Olivier both have been far more productive lately than Fulky. If that's going to be the case moving forward it's hard to keep Fulky in the starting lineup and getting minutes. Still got BHH on the bench as well.

Has to be frustrating though Fulky & James are just not contributing well enough right now to be starting and both are upperclassmen and know what Barnes expects.

SIAP, but Swain said on his show today that Vols are talking to multiple defensive players who have yet to enter the portal. Says they are doing this through back channel means. Apparently, players are reaching out to us through current players, for example, to see if they would have a spot. I'm hoping one of those is Payton Page. I bet one of them is the guy I told y'all about a long time ago that was considering transferred, but as of yet has not entered.

He also said that we now have multiple current players who have 6 figure NIL deals
I'm all for it, but is that not tampering? I don't really care, and I hope we get everyone, just curious.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
I get why Barnes said what he said...
View attachment 427280

Uros, Olivier both have been far more productive lately than Fulky. If that's going to be the case moving forward it's hard to keep Fulky in the starting lineup and getting minutes. Still got BHH on the bench as well.

Has to be frustrating though Fulky & James are just not contributing well enough right now to be starting and both are upperclassmen and know what Barnes expects.
dont see any issue with the comments. is what it is.

Half of the scholarship guys are freshmen. This was always going to be an issue this year and there's no way around it. The transfer portal didn't do Barnes any favors last year.

I hope you are not making excuses for Barnes, because at this point, he doesn't have any... So what if half the scholarship guys are freshmen, then develop them, It's January... how does KY, KS, Duke, etc get freshman and they play and develop over the season? KY usually has nothing but freshman and as much as I can't stand Calipari, he's able to coach and develop a roster full of freshmen every season...

I'm all for it, but is that not tampering? I don't really care, and I hope we get everyone, just curious.
It's only tampering if the coaches are communicating with him. It is not tampering if Hendon Hooker is speaking with Payton Page, for example. Page could say, "hey man, ask Garner if he would take me if I wanted to transfer there." Or, Garner can say to Hooker, "ask your boy Page if he wants to come play for the GOAT." That's perfectly legal

Surely you don't actually believe this.

When illegal money making activity becomes legal, it doesn't just stay the same. This is head in sand stuff.

We'll use sports betting as an example. It was always possible to bet on Sports anywhere in the US. Legal even, if you used off shore sites. And yet:

View attachment 427276

So when athlete compensation follows the same trend, how many teams will be able to field a competitive team?
This what most don't understand or just choose to ignore. Can Newton got $150K. Only the top tier players were getting paid. Teams like Alabama had more top tier players so they had a higher payroll. Everybody was paying, just on a different scale. That's why Alabama and Georgia are ot happy with NIL. They can't get players for $150K anymore. The elite players are now getting 7 figures. Everything is scaled up.

That's why I believe this is a negative for TN. They don't want to play in that arena. They have the belief (wrongly, imo) that they can compete with the players that don't demand that kind of money. Sure they can compete with 90% of the teams because 90% of the teams don't care that much about football. Like I've said repeatedly, the common fan has very little influence in decisions as TV money dominates athletic budgets. I guess we'll see whether the UT vision pays off.

Last edited:
It's only tampering if the coaches are communicating with him. It is not tampering if Hendon Hooker is speaking with Payton Page, for example. Page could say, "hey man, ask Garner if he would take me if I wanted to transfer there." Or, Garner can say to Hooker, "ask your boy Page if he wants to come play for the GOAT." That's perfectly legal
well I hope we do a lot of that

SIAP, but Swain said on his show today that Vols are talking to multiple defensive players who have yet to enter the portal. Says they are doing this through back channel means. Apparently, players are reaching out to us through current players, for example, to see if they would have a spot. I'm hoping one of those is Payton Page. I bet one of them is the guy I told y'all about a long time ago that was considering transferred, but as of yet has not entered.

He also said that we now have multiple current players who have 6 figure NIL deals
That's impossible! UT's NIL game is behind every school in the country. And everyone knows that no good defensive players want to play here and be a victim of the horrible pace the offense plays with.

So who here would rather have a pruitt run defense?

Not Me. I am willing to give the coaches time to improve. Heck the DL and LBs didn’t even have a position coach last year. Let that sink in. It takes more reps to break an ingrained bad habit than to instill a good one from the beginning. FYI, 1,000 correct reps to build a new Engram (instinct at the Cerebellar level) in comparison, at least 3,000 reps to remove a bad habit. Think of all the bad defensive habits pruitt instilled. That’s a f@“k ton of reps for the players…
Being sarcastic
If you say they were bad people have been tearing your head off for it

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

Again, it is almost like this coaching staff and AD know what they are doing! I know we had become use to 8 year olds running the AD, but now that we have full-blown adults in there that can construct full sentences it is refreshing!

And this isn't directed toward you @Bassmaster_Vol, just in general.

Smart will find a way to lose as he always does. Bama wins again.
That's cool with me, I'd rather Bama win another 3-4 in a row as to see UGA win one, because then they'll have even more reason to run their mouths, as of now I can still ALWAYS fall back on those losers winning their last Natty in 1980

The crazy thing with Tillman was how many missed TDs he had the first 2-3 game from overthrows by Milton

Yeah, if Hooker had played from the beginning I'm sure he and Jones both are over 70 receptions 1k yards and 10 TDs. Bowling Green would have been far more of a coming out party, and early against Pitt there were tons of deep balls Milton didn't even come close on.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

This only makes sense. Hooker and Tillman weren't coming back for low level NIL deals.

Last edited:
Smart will find a way to lose as he always does. Bama wins again.
That's cool with me, I'd rather Bama win another 3-4 in a row as to see UGA win one, because then they'll have even more reason to run their mouths, as of now I can still ALWAYS fall back on those losers winning their last Natty in 1980

I don’t want UGA to win but I think they could get it done tonight. It’s difficult to beat a team twice when both are equally loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back