Marvin opines on the loss and our $5 million coach

I always hope we do well in hoops but Ive never been a big basketball fan.
Seeing all the comments about how we’re playing now makes me glad I’m not.

Reactions: onevol74
Barnes has a shared SEC title not an outright title. Here's the issue, Barnes is making top 5 money for mediocre success. For whatever reason Barnes and elite talent mix like oil and water. Like I said, Barnes contract is a prime example of how UT has wasted money over the years.

TN is well positioned to get any of the things you’ve listed.

I clearly posted that TN has exactly two OUTRIGHT SEC regular season championships EVER and that Barnes has one of the 7 SEC regular season championships since 1944.

Salary is a moot point. It is determined by the economics. It was bumped by an uncontrollable event. TN matched UCLA to keep from having to rebuild the program again and hire yet another head coach… the 10th in 30 years. Barnes’s salary wouldn’t be top 5 had the contract not been re-worked before the pandemic. The whining about his salary is dumb.

TN is well positioned to get any of the things you’ve listed.

I clearly posted that TN has exactly two OUTRIGHT SEC regular season championships EVER and that Barnes has one of the 7 SEC regular season championships since 1944.

Salary is a moot point. It is determined by the economics. It was bumped by an uncontrollable event. TN matched UCLA to keep from having to rebuild the program again and hire yet another head coach… the 10th in 30 years. Barnes’s salary wouldn’t be top 5 had the contract not been re-worked before the pandemic. The whining about his salary is dumb.
Again, Barnes's contract is a prime example on how UT waste money. These are middle of the road results that could be accomplished for much cheaper. If all UT is worried about is making the tournament and having a stand up guy at the wheel then they could do much better for half the cost. But is what it is, UT is stuck with Barnes for the foreseeable future.

Barnes has a shared SEC title not an outright title. Here's the issue, Barnes is making top 5 money for mediocre success. For whatever reason Barnes and elite talent mix like oil and water. Like I said, Barnes contract is a prime example of how UT has wasted money over the years.

“Mediocre success”. TN was ranked number one in the country for a month. Before that, in the ENTIRE history of TN basketball, they were there for one week. TN “fans” are delusional.

“Mediocre success”. TN was ranked number one in the country for a month. Before that, in the ENTIRE history of TN basketball, they were there for one week. TN “fans” are delusional.
Fans are not delusional, the administration is. Who raised the bar here for expectations? The fans or Rick Barnes by trying to leave this place and leveraging 2 different schools for top 5 money? Don't forget even after UT upped his salary he was still trying to sneak out the back door.

Fans are not delusional, the administration is. Who raised the bar here for expectations? The fans or Rick Barnes by trying to leave this place and leveraging 2 different schools for top 5 money? Don't forget even after UT upped his salary he was still trying to sneak out the back door.

The expectations have always been the same and have nothing at all to do with the economics of coach’s salaries.

The expectations have always been the same and have nothing at all to do with the economics of coach’s salaries.
So lets say JH does decent in football next year, like 10-2 and UT does what UT does and ups his salary comparable to Smart and Saban then after all that UT goes to 3 consecutive Music City Bowls. You're telling me people are going to be happy? You're telling me that shouldn't up the expectations? Again, the fans didn't do this, Barnes did this. We will agree to disagree

So lets say JH does decent in football next year, like 10-2 and UT does what UT does and ups his salary comparable to Smart and Saban then after all that UT goes to 3 consecutive Music City Bowls. You're telling me people are going to be happy? You're telling me that shouldn't up the expectations? Again, the fans didn't do this, Barnes did this. We will agree to disagree

I doubt that the next several UT BB coaches will have the program at this elite level year after year. TN’s history is to miss the NCAAT more often than making the field. TN’s history is to not sniff the #1 ranking. TN’s history is to not make the weekend of the SECT. TN’s history is to land a top recruit a couple times per decade.

Reactions: walkenvol
I doubt that the next several UT BB coaches will have the program at this elite level year after year. TN’s history is to miss the NCAAT more often than making the field. TN’s history is to not sniff the #1 ranking. TN’s history is to not make the weekend of the SECT. TN’s history is to land a top recruit a couple times per decade.
My definition of Elite is very different than yours......

Guys, football poster here. Just two quick points:

1. Barnes post Grant and Admiral looks a lot like Fulmer post Cut. Just playing out the string, relying on past success, with just enough positive outcomes to keep fans hoping for the good ole days. With Kim English moving on, I can see this getting a lot worse recruiting-wise.

2. I believe Walken started a “reasonable” Fans thread where he and fans of a similar outlook (Thunder for one) can gather and reassure each other that better days are coming. If that is the case, why are they slumming on this “troll” thread? Asking for a friend.

Doubt the administration are formulating their firing plans based on the opinions of negative trolls on a message board. Coach Majors used to comment on the negativity prior to Al Gore inventing the interwebs

... LOL, I forgot all about that! The political class is so separated from the reality of life, that this kind of stuff doesn't even register after a few terms.

Doubt the administration are formulating their firing plans based on the opinions of negative trolls on a message board. Coach Majors used to comment on the negativity prior to Al Gore inventing the interwebs
So you're a troll if you think TN's basketball program could be better than the status quo. What a loser mentality some of you Pumpers have been duped into. If Barnes hadn't found lightning in a bottle with Grant williams his tenure here would be a complete bust.

For the past 2 decades, we heard EVERY single coaching hire that "TN will not pull out the checkbook for a proven coach". Once we finally do it, and don't get a FF instantly (in this case), the same fanbase bemoans the waste of $$$ (as if they paid any) because we've only won a shared SEC title, hung around the top 10 perpetually, spent a month at #1, and made the tourney annually and won some there as well. Besides the Pearl, Green, and Mears eras, we have never touched the level of success and relevance that were at right now!
I'm frustrated @ the two years out at Sweet 16, where we legit could have made a FF and more. Yes. Loyola-Chic and the Purdue theft still bother me. I'm frustrated that we have missing pieces / chemistry that keeps us from contending the past 2 years. But dadgum folks, try to keep perspective here. We are RELEVANT again. We literally have a shot to make a FF run in our program over the next 5 years. 80-90% of our BBall history we could not say that.

Reactions: onevol74
So you're a troll if you think TN's basketball program could be better than the status quo. What a loser mentality some of you Pumpers have been duped into. If Barnes hadn't found lightning in a bottle with Grant williams his tenure here would be a complete bust.

Lol. He has still made the dance without him, that’s like saying Lofton or Chism for Pearl, what a dumb take.

You of all people know that this is a tournament sport. All the rankings and KP analytics you spout continuously mean nothing if you can't get out of week 2 in the tournament. Barnes has made it to week 3 once in the last 15 years and that was with GW. I'm grateful that he cleaned up the mess that was here when he came, but he even knew when it was time to leave. This team is on the same path as last season and he's still recruiting projects and failing with adding front court players that can compete in the SEC. so Lol all you want. The writing's on the wall.

UT BB isn't at an elite level now unless that is just a comparison to UT history and not the rest of the NCAA.

You of all people know that this is a tournament sport. All the rankings and KP analytics you spout continuously mean nothing if you can't get out of week 2 in the tournament. Barnes has made it to week 3 once in the last 15 years and that was with GW. I'm grateful that he cleaned up the mess that was here when he came, but he even knew when it was time to leave. This team is on the same path as last season and he's still recruiting projects and failing with adding front court players that can compete in the SEC. so Lol all you want. The writing's on the wall.
If your track record of predictions on hoops during Barnes tenure is any indication I guess he will be here awhile.

LOL...Barnes' contract is far from a waste of money. He made up the increase in pay by continuing season ticket sales, etc. Only thing that brought income down was the max capacity due to Covid.

Of all the money UT has paid in coaches' buyouts, paying Barnes is not wasted.

Again, Barnes's contract is a prime example on how UT waste money. These are middle of the road results that could be accomplished for much cheaper. If all UT is worried about is making the tournament and having a stand up guy at the wheel then they could do much better for half the cost. But is what it is, UT is stuck with Barnes for the foreseeable future.

You don't understand economics then.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Guys, football poster here. Just two quick points:

1. Barnes post Grant and Admiral looks a lot like Fulmer post Cut. Just playing out the string, relying on past success, with just enough positive outcomes to keep fans hoping for the good ole days. With Kim English moving on, I can see this getting a lot worse recruiting-wise.

2. I believe Walken started a “reasonable” Fans thread where he and fans of a similar outlook (Thunder for one) can gather and reassure each other that better days are coming. If that is the case, why are they slumming on this “troll” thread? Asking for a friend.

2). That’s not at all what the OP said, Football Poster.

“Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.”

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back