'18 NC RB Christian Beal-Smith (Wake Forest Transfer)

Visiting cocks this wkend but UT staff still working this one hard

-Callahan

Saw Jc Shurburtt make a post that made me laugh he named like 5 transfers in a recruiting update and said S. car trending for all of them lol. It was homerism at all time high. No wonder he no longer is a national analyst

Reactions: BigSteve09
Saw Jc Shurburtt make a post that made me laugh he named like 5 transfers in a recruiting update and said S. car trending for all of them lol. It was homerism at all time high. No wonder he no longer is a national analyst
It is not about providing accurate information, but selling those $9.95 clicks.

Reactions: BigSteve09
I hear you.
a dynamic running back changes everything for any offense
being able to run the ball on any down makes any offense better.
It’s a lot harder to stop this offense with a great RB than it is with a pedestrian back.
Getting a lead early in a game and leaning on a “Kenneth Walker” to close out games is a lot easier to do than it is with an average back
D
Do you see similarities in our offensive philosophy and Michigan St?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I don’t see the need but I defer to the staff.

Small will have another year in the system and Wright looked better at the end of the year than he did the start. So I think he could be pretty good next year. Len’neth seems hell bent on staying at RB too.

Then you have the two freshman coming in and they can play an occasional series along the way.

Watching his film he’s not really that impressive. Good size but doesn’t have the home run hitter ability that we need. I’d be fine with the pickup but I really hope we pursue Tyrell Robinson instead

When it comes to this guy from Wake, he played a full season as an upper-classman, and true-sophomore Jabari Small had better numbers than him across the board.

Small had:

(1) more yards - 792 vs. 604;
(2) better ypc - 5.7 vs. 4.6;
(3) more TD's - 9 vs. 7;
(4) more receiving yards on the same number of catches.

I just don't see this guy being some game breaker.

When him and Kenneth Walker were on the same team, he out gained Walker, had more carries, and more yards per carry.

We also need more than 1-2 running backs. If you’re going to get around 90 snaps a game and run 40 times or more with the RB, 3 guys is a must.

I don’t see the need but I defer to the staff.

Small will have another year in the system and Wright looked better at the end of the year than he did the start. So I think he could be pretty good next year. Len’neth seems hell bent on staying at RB too.

Then you have the two freshman coming in and they can play an occasional series along the way.

Speaking in genral we need a big back that can pass protect and gain tough yards. We were terrible in short yardage run plays as we couldn’t rely on anything but scat backs. We need someone that can go take the yard regardless of defense being in position. I never want to have to see Wright on critical 3rd and 4th and 1 or inches again. Not because he isn’t good but he isn’t good for the situation

We also need more than 1-2 running backs. If you’re going to get around 90 snaps a game and run 40 times or more with the RB, 3 guys is a must.

FWIW, we averaged 75 offensive plays per game last season and our RBs averaged 31 carries per game. Small, Wright, and Whitehead accounted for 2/3 of those carries and with the additions of Williams & Sampson, I'm confident we'll have at least 3 capable RBs. I wouldn't mind landing another impact player at the position but I don't believe Beal-Smith is that guy.

FWIW, we averaged 75 offensive plays per game last season and our RBs averaged 31 carries per game. Small, Wright, and Whitehead accounted for 2/3 of those carries and with the additions of Williams & Sampson, I'm confident we'll have at least 3 capable RBs. I wouldn't mind landing another impact player at the position but I don't believe Beal-Smith is that guy.

Agreed. Evans and Gibbs were the only backs I thought we should go after. Unless an impact back enters the portal after spring practice, I think we go with the backs already on the roster.

Last edited:
Speaking in genral we need a big back that can pass protect and gain tough yards. We were terrible in short yardage run plays as we couldn’t rely on anything but scat backs. We need someone that can go take the yard regardless of defense being in position. I never want to have to see Wright on critical 3rd and 4th and 1 or inches again. Not because he isn’t good but he isn’t good for the situation
Real world evidence and research says the opposite. The quick guys (and shorter guys) are actually more effective in short yardage situations.

My guess is they tend to hit the hole earlier and shorter guys maybe squirt through easier. Bigger but slower just means trying to run through a wall, which is less effective.

Not an opinion, just the data.

Agreed. Evans and Gibbs were the only backs I thought we should go after. Unless an impact back enters the portal after spring practice, I think we go with the backs already on the roster.

I wish master Teague would change his mind about draft and transfer here. Would have been a great fit for what we need

They're starting to worry me with the additions they're making and how they played down the stretch.

Adding talent for sure but their OC is trash. One of the worst graded OCs in country in his career as OC. Their DC though is a up and coming star. At same time Rattler was able to be stopped in Riley offense by Big 12 defenses. An Oklahoma TE isn’t going to scare me when their TE they had and just lost was better. Beal is solid but not Kenneth Walker

VN Store

Back