Early 2022 šŸˆ season ranking

This is off topic, but how in the world is a Nebraska team which recruited very poorly and went 3-9 last year ranked No. 25? Regardless, glad to see the Vols getting some attention
I thought the same thing. To their defense, though they lost a ton of games, I think every single loss they had was by 9 points or fewer.

Last edited:
This is off topic, but how in the world is a Nebraska team which recruited very poorly and went 3-9 last year ranked No. 25? Regardless, glad to see the Vols getting some attention
They may have had a similar JG situation where it is addition by subtraction with Martinez leaving.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Unless they pull off a few surprises in the portal to fill the holes created by departures and upgrade at LB, I'm expecting this years record will be our ceiling next year.
Better than what we have seen then in the last 15 or so. We still are a team that is competitive again. Iā€™ll take that over what I seen under Dooley, Pruitt. Jones had some good years so I wonā€™t trash him like Dooley and Pruitt.

Unless they pull off a few surprises in the portal to fill the holes created by departures and upgrade at LB, I'm expecting this years record will be our ceiling next year.
Prepare to be blasted.

McMurphy is a "B1G guy" who broke the story that cost Urban Meyer his job at tOSU. Throwing a bone to a B1G team like Nebraska likely generates clicks and goodwill for him and it's really low risk because you can't really call missing #25 a "bad miss."

He's a click bait kind of journalist, IMO, and a pretty much pure speculation but I was first ranking article like this is typical.

With the transfer portal, the draft and all the adding and subtracting right up to fall camp, these early rankings make less sense than ever.

I donā€™t think this yearā€™s recruiting class should play much of a factor into preseason rankings. Even if they had signed a top 25 class, how freshman could they really count on contributing next year? The bulk of their roster will be made up of the ā€˜19, ā€˜20, and ā€˜21 classes, all of which were ranked in the Top 20 classes in the country. On top of that 7 of their 8 losses were by a touchdown or less. They only one that wasnā€™t a one possession game was against Ohio State, and they lost that one by only nine.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Arkansas is way too high. They only return eleven starters, and thatā€™s including the ones that have entered the portal.

I kinda feel the same way. I don't really see anything to make me think we'll be much better on D

4 games appear to be a lock next year, 2 look like zero chance and a bunch of toss ups.

Reactions: vettefool
Who you got Tennessee losing to?
Highly probable losses: Bama, UGA
Very possible losses: @Pitt, @ LSU, UK, UF (playing Pitt early probably not good for us as the O might not be "clicking". LSU under Kelly will be better and they have plenty of talent. I would say a loss @ LSU is more likely than a win. UK will be very formidable. UF, well....we've lost to them way too often when we should have won.
Unlikely, but possible losses: SC (Rattler at SC could make them much better.)

Very possible losses: @Pitt, @ LSU, UK, UF (playing Pitt early probably not good for us as the O might not be "clicking". LSU under Kelly will be better and they have plenty of talent. I would say a loss @ LSU is more likely than a win. UK will be very formidable. UF, well....we've lost to them way too often when we should have won.

At that point our O will have had a full season, a full spring and full camp with an experienced high level QB, experienced WRs, OL with 4 of 5 starters returning. There is absolutely NO reason to think our O won't be clicking. Now if you said Pitt's O, it would make more sense.

I feel like I can find at least 8 wins. Just looking at the layout of the schedule and to intrigue some conversation, when is the last time Tennessee was undefeated going in to The Third Saturday in October against the Tide?? Lets say we get beat like a drum by Bama and we are 5-1. Wins against UT Martin and UK at home brings you to 7-1 with then a contest against Georgia. Lets say we lose that one too. 7-2 with Mizzou, USC jr, and Vandy to finish the season 10-2. The swing games are Florida at home which we should be favored and a toss up at LSU with all the turnover. I like our chances against Pitt on the road, UK at home, and USC jr does not scare me either. I think absolute floor is 7-5 and that would be a failure in my eyes with the ceiling being 10-2. 10-2 after being 3-7 two years ago under Pruitt and that regime is nothing more than a blessing Tennessee fans have been in dire need of for decades.

Ball State
@Pittsburgh
Akron
Florida
@lsu
Alabama
UT-Martin
Kentucky
@Georgia
Missouri
@South Carolina
@Vanderbilt

I feel like I can find at least 8 wins. Just looking at the layout of the schedule and to intrigue some conversation, when is the last time Tennessee was undefeated going in to The Third Saturday in October against the Tide?? Lets say we get beat like a drum by Bama and we are 5-1. Wins against UT Martin and UK at home brings you to 7-1 with then a contest against Georgia. Lets say we lose that one too. 7-2 with Mizzou, USC jr, and Vandy to finish the season 10-2. The swing games are Florida at home which we should be favored and a toss up at LSU with all the turnover. I like our chances against Pitt on the road, UK at home, and USC jr does not scare me either. I think absolute floor is 7-5 and that would be a failure in my eyes with the ceiling being 10-2. 10-2 after being 3-7 two years ago under Pruitt and that regime is nothing more than a blessing Tennessee fans have been in dire need of for decades.

Ball State
@Pittsburgh
Akron
Florida
@lsu
Alabama
UT-Martin
Kentucky
@Georgia
Missouri
@South Carolina
@Vanderbilt

USC jr will be a lot tougher to beat than in 2021.

Oklahoma at 7 seems way too high, given all their losses and a new coaching staff,

I don't expect Kentucky to be ranked. LSU....meh.
Oklahoma gets pumped up every freakin year they are a poll media darling for some reason. They get smacked everytime they are on big stage. And after all the stuff that has went on. I donā€™t think they should be higher than 15 going in.

Not really sure what you mean about Pitt and the early season O not clicking. This isn't a new offense this year like last. Hooker has control of the offense. There will be no Milton experiment. The offense hits the ground running. Pitt, on the other hand, will be starting a new QB in place of Pickett. Granted, he's a good one, but he'll be in the acclimation period, not Hooker. They'll also be breaking in a new OC. I see Pitt as a win.

Kentucky loses a ton and will drop off. Most sane Kentucky fans agree with that. They're a 6-win type team next year (maybe 7, since they always play a weak schedule). And we beat them this year. Like every year. That's a likely win. Florida is a mess and under a new coach. That should be a win.

LSU, I agree. That's a toss up at this point. Depends on what Kelly can do there. His lack of fit is concerning, though.

VN Store

Back