Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Barnes is Barnes, at the end of the day. He's been super consistent in what he does and his floor and ceiling have about a foot between them. This team is right up his alley. I don't want him fired, for sure, but I won't be sad when we pass on to the next era.

Well, unless it's Will Wade. Eff that guy.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Why do you care what he makes? It’s not your money. You pocket watchers are weird af.
They all make bank. Cuonzo makes $3 million. Coach’s salaries are based on the economics. UCLA created the bump. TN’s options were to either pony up or tear it down and start all over again. Calm down. IT’S. NOT. YOUR. MONEY!
Fans catch the brunt of these salaries, with ticket prices, paying for parking, buying concession etc.... It is our money.

This team is a round of 32 ext. Quarters in the SEC tourney. This team aint it. This team isnt physical. Isnt good at shooting. Weak in the post. Terrible at the FT line.

It will depend on the draw. But I could see us anywhere from NIT to a 6 seed. If we get a first round vs a team that can score, we may be in trouble unless there's some rapid late season development on the offense. The round of 32 may be tough to achieve with how we look right now. Last year we just stumbled down the stretch playing .500 ball. Hopefully that's not the case again this year.

The sad thing is, I have very little hope for next year being any better.

I wish Barnes would retire. Definitely not cling anywhere close to earning that $6 million.

He just loves to run his players down. Always the players fault - never Barnes fault. Horrible offense and lazy recruiting. I’ll be glad whenever Barnes decides to leave - hopefully sooner than later.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Pearl is a cheater. However, he is a better coach than Barnes all day long. Just the way it is. I am happy with Barnes as the coach. Tennessee could do a whole lot worse and has.
Fortunately we now have an AD that doesnt look at basketball as an afterthought. There are a lot of coaches we could hire for $6M a year. I think the days of hiring the Wade Houston’s, Buzz Peterson’s and Kevin O’ Neils are a thing of the past.

Barnes' biggest problem right now is recruiting front court talent. He still thinks he can compete in the SEC with a 6-9 200 pound center. Stop recruiting the projects and gets some size, talent and length similar to what we played against tonite. Maybe the serbian's success tonite will wake him up. And ON's getting closer.

I wish Barnes would retire. Definitely not cling anywhere close to earning that $6 million.

He just loves to run his players down. Always the players fault - never Barnes fault. Horrible offense and lazy recruiting. I’ll be glad whenever Barnes decides to leave - hopefully sooner than later.
He has served his purpose here, and it is time to move on.

This team is a round of 32 ext. Quarters in the SEC tourney. This team aint it. This team isnt physical. Isnt good at shooting. Weak in the post. Terrible at the FT line.

Only 16 teams out of 325+ are better than the Round of 32 teams. TN has only had better results than the R32 8 times EVER. This team is right around R32 or S16. A few bounces good or bad and they’re easily one-and-done or S16.

It will depend on the draw. But I could see us anywhere from NIT to a 6 seed. If we get a first round vs a team that can score, we may be in trouble unless there's some rapid late season development on the offense. The round of 32 may be tough to achieve with how we look right now. Last year we just stumbled down the stretch playing .500 ball. Hopefully that's not the case again this year.

The sad thing is, I have very little hope for next year being any better.
This team cant shoot. Theyll get bounced by a team that can.
I agree about next year. This year was the year for Barnes to earn some good will, next years team will be like the one post Grant and company. If Barnes gets mad at what he hears this year, he doesnt even want to think about what next year's team will be.

Only 16 teams out of 325+ are better than the Round of 32 teams. TN has only had better results than the R32 8 times EVER. This team is right around R32 or S16. A few bounces good or bad and they’re easily one-and-done or S16.
No. Theyre either two or done or less. Barnes teams never over achieve this isnt a S16 team with the ways its being coached.

Fans catch the brunt of these salaries, with ticket prices, paying for parking, buying concession etc.... It is our money.
Lmaooooooo this is so stupid. You will continue to go to games and pay whatever prices they tell you to pay. Coaches salaries have little to no affect on parking and concessions. This is the dumbest take I’ve seen on this in a while.

Fortunately we now have an AD that doesnt look at basketball as an afterthought. There are a lot of coaches we could hire for $6M a year. I think the days of hiring the Wade Houston’s, Buzz Peterson’s and Kevin O’ Neils are a thing of the past.
Hopefully…

There’s that million dollar raise again. I wonder if anybody has let Barnes know yet.

Lmaooooooo this is so stupid. You will continue to go to games and pay whatever prices they tell you to pay. Coaches salaries have little to no affect on parking and concessions. This is the dumbest take I’ve seen on this in a while.
Nope. When the money was needed to keep Barnes it was raised from a handful of donors.
This isnt true at all, but m kay. With more money comes more expectations. This is back to back seasons where Barnes is on pace to underachieve.

Game wasn’t even close. Don’t know what the heck you’re watching.

Barnes making 6 mill per year. He isn’t worth it period. Not even close.
Ok well then who should we hire then that’s legit so Danny White knows who to call when Barnes leaves.

No. Theyre either two or done or less. Barnes teams never over achieve this isnt a S16 team with the ways its being coached.

Don’t pretend like you know how they’re being coached. The NCAAT is 2 months away and TN is relying on the development of freshmen in key spots.

Not that this was aimed it me but it is not true. Giving up my football tickets this year after they took away grandfather status and Basketball is next. We as fans do contribute to the bottom line of the athletic department and help pay salaries and athletic costs.

VN Store

Back