Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Feels like no one’s going to catch Man City now.

First half of Chelsea-Liverpool was up and down excitement, second half was a bit of dud. Some nice saves by both keepers but just not a lot of sustained chances for either side in the 2me half.

Reactions: MAD
Wolves first league win at Old Trafford since 1980
Maybe Ole wasn’t the problem?

Post-Fergie Manchester United is what I hope happens to Alabama once Saban leaves.

They won't be terrible, but won't be anywhere near as good as they were under Saban and will run through coaches/have organizational instability. They've only won what...one major trophy since Ferguson retired?

Reactions: The Dog and MAD
That is their problem no matter who the coach or front office people are. Ultimately it has to go back to the Glazers.
You’re right that it all eventually falls back on the Glazers. They seem to be more concerned with being a winning brand than a winning team. From a pure business sense, bringing Ronaldo back made a ton of sense. I’m sure he’s a social media sensation, and sold a ton of shirts. From a footballing perspective, it made almost none. That wasn’t a major position of need, yet he’s on massive wages, in the twilight of his career, and seems to have been signed at the expense of a holding midfielder, which they’ve needed to help cover the back line for a while now.

Reactions: 05_never_again
You’re right that it all eventually falls back on the Glazers. They seem to be more concerned with being a winning brand than a winning team. From a pure business sense, bringing Ronaldo back made a ton of sense. I’m sure he’s a social media sensation, and sold a ton of shirts. From a footballing perspective, it made almost none. That wasn’t a major position of need, yet he’s on massive wages, in the twilight of his career, and seems to have been signed at the expense of a holding midfielder, which they’ve needed to help cover the back line for a while now.
Yep, which is ironic because how do you have a winning brand if you aren't a winning team? It is like they have lost sight of the fact that they are the brand they are because they (used to) win a lot. If you don't win a lot, you don't have a winning brand. You aren't a "winning brand" just because.

In addition to their mismanagement, it seems like the sport has simply caught up with them in a lot of ways as well. Other English teams (Man City, Tottenham, etc.) have caught up and are more competitive, and other European teams like Barca and Real Madrid passed them as well in terms of revenue/club market value. They just don't stand out from the crowd like they used to.

Even though the rise of Man City has been meteoric over the last decade plus, the single biggest reason for their stagnation I still think are their self-inflicted wounds.

Newcastle loses in the FA Cup to a team from League One.
Yikes
tenor.gif

Newcastle loses in the FA Cup to a team from League One.

They signed Trippier this week but other than that I read that a lot of the targets that Newcastle are wanting to sign are hesitant to do so because Newcastle has their work cut out for them just to stay in EPL. This surely doesn’t help their cause. 😂

Reactions: NorCalVol67
They signed Trippier this week but other than that I read that a lot of the targets that Newcastle are wanting to sign are hesitant to do so because Newcastle has their work cut out for them just to stay in EPL. This surely doesn’t help their cause. 😂

They need to just accept the relegation and sign their players while in the championship. I can’t imagine anyone would sign with them without a release clause in case of relegation.

FA cup is just so great to watch. All of these smaller clubs getting the chance to go up against the top teams in English football. Was watching the Chelsea game and in the 2nd half Chesterfield, who is in the 5th tier, was able to finally get a shot on net and got a rebound goal into an empty net. The celebration from the players and their fans which were right behind the net was fun to watch. Was happy to see them get that goal.

FA cup is just so great to watch. All of these smaller clubs getting the chance to go up against the top teams in English football. Was watching the Chelsea game and in the 2nd half Chesterfield, who is in the 5th tier, was able to finally get a shot on net and got a rebound goal into an empty net. The celebration from the players and their fans which were right behind the net was fun to watch. Was happy to see them get that goal.

Two teams outside the EFL made it to round 4, that is awesome.

Reactions: DocVOLiday and C/O
They need to just accept the relegation and sign their players while in the championship. I can’t imagine anyone would sign with them without a release clause in case of relegation.

Agreed. Get the pieces they need to build upon and get back up to EPL and go on a spending spree then. Would love to see Maximin stay in the EPL on another team if/when Newcastle does go down.

VN Store

Back