Is this the end of college sports as we know it ?

I saw this yesterday, as someone else posted it on here. If I have this right, the offer of $1,000,000.00 was from the former quarterback from I think, Eastern Michigan, Charlie Batch. It doesn't seem like it was an NIL offer, more like he would be paid the money by Batch himself. I don't know the rules about NIL, but this would not fall under that I wouldn't think. This would be out in the open paying a player to play there. That is still not permitted, is it?

I saw this yesterday, as someone else posted it on here. If I have this right, the offer of $1,000,000.00 was from the former quarterback from I think, Eastern Michigan, Charlie Batch. It doesn't seem like it was an NIL offer, more like he would be paid the money by Batch himself. I don't know the rules about NIL, but this would not fall under that I wouldn't think. This would be out in the open paying a player to play there. That is still not permitted, is it?
If he owns any kind of business he can put his name on a poster and call it an NIL. If he doesn't own a business it could seem like a violation, but a guy with that kind of money to throw around certainly has business ventures that he could say that he was paying this player to represent. NCAA is through nothing can be done about this only some kind of law that caps earnings while in college would work and that is not going to happen either.

Unless we get some kind of cap law on this college sports are now professional sports and every team is a bidder. The rich will get richer and will be able to buy Championships which many had been doing before this ever started.
The best way possible IMO to help with this is that the NCAA changes their rules that if a kid is in the portal that a school or direct boosters can't broker NIL deals for kids while in the portal. They should sign with the school first and then the a deal should be in place. I think that is part of the NIL law right now that the school can't do it with a HS recruit but not sure about transfers.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I think whatever they're getting paid should be shared with the entire team. The players getting the most, will be QB, RB, WR, but none of them can do their thang without an offensive line. A QB, RB, can score a hundred TDs, but without a Defense, they still can't win. Just kidding, but maybe a weekly allowance or something, but I don't like this NIL thingy. Go Vols!

I can understand the problem of using top players' images in things such as video games. Even names on jerseys (as opposed to player numbers) is making $ off that specific player, especially if proceeds are going to NCAA offices.

Endorsements are tricky. The value of the endorsement will always depend upon the fame/skill/reputation of the individual. But allowing payouts to be tied to specific universities, such as the recruiting enticement mentioned, will be tge death of amateur athletics for D-1 when it comes to championships. The biggest programs already have the advantages of highest-paid staffs, best facilities, biggest fan bases, most tv and media exposure, most valuable degrees (both reputation and tuition cost), etc. For the best, they can already have the finest of everything available while getting a free apprenticeship for pro careers.

The same situations already exist in the "nationally-known" high school sports factories. A kid such as Arch Manning could already be pulling down big bucks for endorsements.

At some point, colleges will drop the charade and just start paying players like tge semi-pro and developmental leagues. Or they'll offer athletes the choice between scholarship or cash. Class attendance will cease to be a requirement.

Tennessee has such a fan base for WBB. It should have a decided advantage for the ladies. Someone should be going door-to-door to all the businesses to collect money to offer players. Likewise their should be a nationwide LV organization to collect contributions for the bb squad to get players to Tennessee.

Still the biggest name in basketball except maybe the Connie’s, but it’d help the recruiting to know that signing gets you $$$ and gets your NIL everywhere, which increases exposure and the chance of playing beyond college or getting a good job.
personally, I think these talented, committed women and very often minority players deserve this leg up.

Tennessee has a chance of cashing in along with these young ladies. Get it done!!

Yes, it's the end. The supporters will try to say it isn't, because it will mean they were wrong about the negative impacts, but it most certainly is the end. They wanted this. And they got it. And from here, it's all downhill.

YEP. Why were the advocates for this too stupid to see what was clearly predictable?

What a mess.

Now, I will admit that I am all for the kids being able to earn money off their own names and images since it's not fair for billions of dollars to be made for others OFF OF their names and images and the kids themselves can't even afford to go out for pizza.

BUT, there has to be a better way than this. It hasn't even been a year and it's already so out of control and, in many cases, feeling kinda sleazy and cheat-y, that something is going to need to be done to reel it back in soon or else it actually WILL be the end of even the possibility of even trying to appear in any way fair to the "have nots." It's awful how all this is already shaking out.

What can be done? Seriously.
I'm right there w/ you on all this NIL stuff but that being said, I'd rather complain about it while we're winning than complain about it and continue to be in the gutter.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When these companies realize there is no return on the investment, they will stop making the investment. Really what is Charlie Batch's company going to get out of it? They have to justify the expense and an NCAA championship doesnt justify it. The bowl money and the championship money all go to the school, not the company paying the players.

NIL is great they said!! Transfer portal is great they said!! They deserve to be paid they said!! 🤣🤣
Yes, and they do. At least it’s legal now and can be taxed and tracked. NCAA and these old coaches shouldn’t be the only ones making money off these player’s backs

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If he owns any kind of business he can put his name on a poster and call it an NIL. If he doesn't own a business it could seem like a violation, but a guy with that kind of money to throw around certainly has business ventures that he could say that he was paying this player to represent. NCAA is through nothing can be done about this only some kind of law that caps earnings while in college would work and that is not going to happen either.

Creating a business is just a matter of a paperwork shuffle. Anybody can do it and it doesn't cost much. Just a shell business is all that's needed.

Reactions: Volfan2012
What a mess.

Now, I will admit that I am all for the kids being able to earn money off their own names and images since it's not fair for billions of dollars to be made for others OFF OF their names and images and the kids themselves can't even afford to go out for pizza.

BUT, there has to be a better way than this. It hasn't even been a year and it's already so out of control and, in many cases, feeling kinda sleazy and cheat-y, that something is going to need to be done to reel it back in soon or else it actually WILL be the end of even the possibility of even trying to appear in any way fair to the "have nots." It's awful how all this is already shaking out.

What can be done? Seriously.
That’s the problem, who is gonna control it? The NCAA is irrelevant now. The SEC is not going to step in and say, woah A&M, let’s slow down, this is a bad look. When A&M is essentially buying that 3rd playoff spot along with bama and Georgia and all but guaranteeing the conference more money.
This whole thing is out of control and it’s pretty comical actually.
GBO!!

I am ok with NIL with regulations. The kids are already receiving an education valued at $200K plus. They receive tutors, meals, nutritionist, and an opportunity to leap frog them to the NFL (or at least advance in a career). I wish it had been done differently from the start. The argument has been the institutions make $$$$ off their names and athleticism. Along with the education, why not place a modest cap? Let the kids represent a car dealer on a billboard, put their face on a pizza & wing flyer, even allow auto-graph sessions for money...but compensation not to exceed $25K or maybe $50K. That way people can not use the argument...these kids can't buy pizza or afford a car to drive.

The portal needs to be a one & done transfer option. Including graduated students with remaining eligibility. This has gotten insane and the atmosphere of college football is about to be lost. I don't want to see bidding wars. I want to see players that bleed the school colors and play with pride. If I want to watch over paid brats with a message for the rest of us common folks...I'd watch the NFL again.
You summed up the problem in your first paragraph. Tennessee and a lot of other schools are doing the pizza flyer and autograph session thing. But some like A&M are going above and beyond and basically offering these kids pay for play contracts.
It has nothing to do with NIL, it’s simply a way to bend the rules of paying recruits.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back