Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 73 - (25/23) Texas A&M 45

When Key doesn’t get in early foul trouble, she is virtually unstoppable. Tonight she got in a little early foul trouble and was still virtually unstoppable. I sure am glad Burrell is back. I think that takes some pressure off Horston and she plays better. They seem to get better every game.

Our best game yet. I know the win against Texas was the most impressive, but to completely dominate a Blair led top 25 team by tremendous rebounding, defense, and team work made this especially exciting. To be honest, I was secretly concerned that maybe we weren't quite a top 10 team yet in my eyes, but this game thankfully proved me wrong. And even though she is still early in her comeback, Rae still had the best +/- ratio of anyone at +22. She is the grease that makes our offense work in the same way Key is the backbone of our defense. Horston is our jack of all trades. What a threesome and they have a large group of talented support players. This is getting exciting ya'll!

She's the right girl to bring us back......
328738.jpg.0.jpg

Seems like Horston missed mostly the easiest shots from at the rim. Her challenged drives were the ones she seemed to have made. Her mid game had to be over 50% and she was 40% from 3. I was shocked to see she was 7-23. But Kelly knows and so does Blair. Said that she does so much for the team. She coulda had 30 points if she made the bunnies. Even if her percentage doesn’t go up, she is critical to what this team does, but ohhhhh boy, if she could nudge those numbers up, then the LVs really have a chance at the FF and beyond.

Seems like Horston missed mostly the easiest shots from at the rim. Her challenged drives were the ones she seemed to have made. Her mid game had to be over 50% and she was 40% from 3. I was shocked to see she was 7-23. But Kelly knows and so does Blair. Said that she does so much for the team. She coulda had 30 points if she made the bunnies. Even if her percentage doesn’t go up, she is critical to what this team does, but ohhhhh boy, if she could nudge those numbers up, then the LVs really have a chance at the FF and beyond.
...im liking the forecast.

And she is the only one that missed a shot & gave up a three; man, you people need to ease up on Darby; she is a very smart player & is only a sophomore; give her a break.

At that point in the game when I posted that, yes she was the only person to have missed a layup and then gave up a 3. I then gave her credit later in the game when she hit 2 (3s). She’s not an elite player and she wouldn’t sniff the floor for any of the top 10 teams in the nation. That’s not an attack on her personally. She’s just not good defensively and her shots are just as likely to be a brick than a 3. At some point that’s going to cost us in a big game.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
At that point in the game when I posted that, yes she was the only person to have missed a layup and then gave up a 3. I then gave her credit later in the game when she hit 2 (3s). She’s not an elite player and she wouldn’t sniff the floor for any of the top 10 teams in the nation. That’s not an attack on her personally. She’s just not good defensively and her shots are just as likely to be a brick than a 3. At some point that’s going to cost us in a big game.
I'm willin' to cut her some slack and grace to grow into that shooter wing slot. She better step the hell up cause there's strong eyes coming up.

I'm willin' to cut her some slack and grace to grow into that shooter wing slot. She better step the hell up cause there's strong eyes coming up.

i agree. Right now it’s not hurting us. The entire team has grown so much and I hope they all keep it up. A consistent outside shooter with only decent defense would transform this team into a national championship level team.

KH is a smoke show, can’t lie.

The shocking thing is how little she has aged compared to that picture of her cutting down the net.

Let's hope we keep getting better. A&M may not be quite as good as their ranking this year, but we played our best game of the season tonight and beat a well coached team. We still haven't put four good qtrs together though. There is lots of room for improvement.

But man, we look like a different team when Jordy puts that arc on her shot and has confidence in it. And Rae will be huge in upping our game as time goes along. She is coming in right when Sara seems to have hit a little bit of a Freshman wall in trying to adjust to SEC play. I was really worried the chemistry might suffer when Rae came back because you can never tell with these things. But I think we will be just fine there as long as everyone does not start deferring to her on offense and they all continue to carry the load. Rae will get hers within the flow of the game, and so far the others only seemed to play better on offense with Rae back. We were hitting threes like we were A&M there at one point in the second half.

We looked better tonight than at any time since Pat came down with her ailment. Now the trick is making this level of play our floor rather than our ceiling.

VN Store

Back