The Official #18 Tennessee vs. Ole Miss Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

I’ve always been an advocate for Barnes, but you raise some good points. Chandler came in the first 6 games with some really good play. Had some rough edges that needed to be smoothed a bit, but the last 4 games he’s just shown some real hesitancy and seems to have regressed. I think in many ways, the same can be said about Powell. These are two guys who can be absolute weapons, but are just a shell of their potential at this point.

I really believe Fulky is just a shell of what we saw against Arizona. No team is going to defend him the way Arizona did. That doesn’t bode well for SEC play for him.

Defensively, this team is ELITE. Period. If we find some answers offensively, we can do some damage.
After reading several posts above about Chandler regessing and Powell not getting enough good looks to take shots......Barnes maybe expecting too much,imo. ON's game is improving in the paint and Uros is better too. As far as development of post players which is visible, but imo, it takes Barnes several seasons to get a complete player. We very much need HH to get his game up to speed much quicker and develop a consistent inside game because a reliance on perimeter shooting is simply going to lead to losses because UT can't get the consistency required. Barnes and Vescovi may have said it'll come around eventually but I'll believe it when I see it. GBO!!

Reactions: cardvolfan
Olivier should be a double double everytime he plays. He has all the talent he needs to take over inside and make a lot more plays than he does. I keep hoping he will become more assertive yet some games he still is very timid and disappears. He had a good game last night made 5 of 7 shots should be getting more attempts a game than 7.

What I’m seeing is that we play hard, but so tight that it becomes a “grind” on this team.
Some players you can coach hard and get the results, but teams are different and maybe a different approach from Barnes may be warranted, because it looks as though he is in their head. Yes, he’s had success here, but we don’t have Grant, Admiral, Or Bone who could have taken a bit more of the “tough” love than this team can. KC is a freshmen with a world of talent, but he looks timid as does Powell.
For me..I’m not smart enough to be a coach, but I’m just submitting an observation
You can see the intimidation on Chandler's face looks like he is so afraid of making a mistake that he can't make a play. He looks a lot different than he did at the first part of the season. Everything seems off and seems he gets a chewing way to many time during a game. I wish Barnes would let the guy play he might like the results better if he applied a little less pressure.

We've seen this time and time again. The players come in with natural talent.
Barnes has to break them before he teaches them " the game"
Three years later if they stick it out you see some upside.
God forbid you just let these kids play their game.
Remember how great Chandler looked early on? What happened?
We saw flashes of him late in this game but honestly I think the young guys are afraid to try and take over a game.
Maybe Barnes is indirectly and without knowing, intimidating his players and causing the hesitancy. I know he got "all over" KC last night and I think it may have been for passing up a shot. I could see how Barnes may be causing confusion to a degree. I hope it works out for the best.

Powell was smothered all night. Just could not get off a truly open 3, certainly what Barnes describes as a good shot. On his radio show, Barnes chided Powell for passing up shots. Other than the few shots he did take, there just were not shots there. I’m sure Powell is confused by the message he‘s receiving.
I actually thought he passed up a handful of decent looks from 3. He seems to primarily take wide open looks, which is probably why he’s shooting such a high percentage but I’d be ok with him taking a few more that are somewhat contested.

One thing I think hurting us from the perimeter is some of the kickout passes. A lot of times we have guys open but the passes aren’t hitting them in the pocket, then by the time they’ve collected the ball/themselves they’re covered up or out of rhythm.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If these kids can’t take hard coaching then they’re playing for the wrong team.

This young generation expects handouts where they don’t have to work hard. They think they can use their god given talent to carry them throughout their career.

It doesn’t work that way.

I’m sick of these kids wanting to be babied to death.

This young generation expects handouts where they don’t have to work hard. They think they can use their god given talent to carry them throughout their career.

This is just stupid. You can coach kids hard and not be a dick

I actually thought he passed up a handful of decent looks from 3. He seems to primarily take wide open looks, which is probably why he’s shooting such a high percentage but I’d be ok with him taking a few more that are somewhat contested.

One thing I think hurting us from the perimeter is some of the kickout passes. A lot of times we have guys open but the passes aren’t hitting them in the pocket, then by the time they’ve collected the ball/themselves they’re covered up or out of rhythm.
I agree with the kick outs. It’s either off target or there’s a slight fumbling which negates the opportunity. We seem to have a lot of that, it seems.

You nut huggers are hilarious. Of course you don't think Barnes can do wrong. I should've known better

Same thing could be said about you and Pearl but that wouldn’t seem to fit your narrative now would it?

Sounds like you and your little gang are soft for thinking these kids should be treated like little angels cause they’re playing on scholarship for a Division l school.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say on here and that’s saying a lot.

I'm not sure how wanting to be treated like a human = being a beta but ok. Contrary to popular belief you don't have to yell and scream at people for them to listen
So yelling at an athlete at 18+yo is being inhuman? I just do not know how to comprehend the absolute beta filled connotations your post represents. As J McEnroe stated: "You cannot be serious"!

CRB’s been coaching a long time and his style isn’t a mystery to any top recruit he signs. You know the roll the ball out type of coaches are telling recruits how hard he will be on them and how they don’t have to take that if they’ll play for their school. KC knew exactly what he was getting himself into and KC chose CRB’s style. Why does so many think these players don’t want to be coached

Same thing could be said about you and Pearl but that wouldn’t seem to fit your narrative now would it?

Sounds like you and your little gang are soft for thinking these kids should be treated like little angels cause they’re playing on scholarship for a Division l school.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say on here and that’s saying a lot.
Damn Barnes nuts must be stuck really deep. You might want to see a doctor about that.
There's being hard on a kid and there's being a dick there's no reason James should've had to come over and push Barnes away from KC

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
So yelling at an athlete at 18+yo is being inhuman? I just do not know how to comprehend the absolute beta filled connotations your post represents. As J McEnroe stated: "You cannot be serious"!
Lulz, you can be hard on a kid without being a dick. A bad coach can kill the drive of a good player real quick.

Damn Barnes nuts must be stuck really deep. You might want to see a doctor about that.
There's being hard on a kid and there's being a dick there's no reason James should've had to come over and push Barnes away from KC

You know nothing about sports if you think yelling at one of your basketball players is being a dick or “inhuman”.

You seriously cannot be that soft. 😂

That was definitely not a good look. Hence this could be the problem with our team as Chandler hasn’t looked the same the last several games. Barnes “ style” wears on players and makes them second guess themselves which is not a good thing on the court. He did the same to Jordan Bone when he was pg.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back