Orange Bowl Thread: #2 Michigan vs #3 Georgia

I think those who cut their teeth on CFB in the late 80's/early 90's often feel this way more than anyone else, because we were 9-0 against UGA from 1989-1999 whereas we are 14-26 against them at all other points in history. I'm older than that, we didn't play them much when I was growing up and we beat them some and they beat us some when we did. I don't like Georgia, but I hate Alabama way more.
I dislike Bama more too. But at this point I think it’s impossible not to concede the fact that we are in the midst of the greatest run in college football history. It will end at some point, but it feels like there is nothing that can be done about it at this moment in time . Doesn’t mean we give up, but it feels like it’s out of our control. UGA on the other hand is a work in progress. They’re recruiting lights out, they’ve won some SEC titles and they’re putting players in the League. Those are all great things, but they’re still vulnerable to a fall. If they won a title they’re less likely to fall quickly because Kirby becomes a made guy. I just think that UGA winning a title does more harm to us than Saban winning another one because it’s just the expectation now.

Reactions: VolInNW
They are. Maybe it’s because of what I grew up watching, but I’m still not overly impressed with the Dawgs. We've sucked for the better part of a decade and a half and they have a 1 or 2 game series lead on us? GTFO. I’ve never not once looked at them and thought they were some scary good team. Not to say they haven’t had some very good teams, but they’ve never been great. Take this season for example, if UGA wins the title and you start putting them up against recent champions where would they rank? No way they beat Bama, LSU, Clemson’s squads of recent years. No way their team is as good any of Urban’s teams at UF. Unless Kirby is willing to evolve they’ll never be some dynasty.

I dislike Bama more too. But at this point I think it’s impossible not to concede the fact that we are in the midst of the greatest run in college football history. It will end at some point, but it feels like there is nothing that can be done about it at this moment in time . Doesn’t mean we give up, but it feels like it’s out of our control. UGA on the other hand is a work in progress. They’re recruiting lights out, they’ve won some SEC titles and they’re putting players in the League. Those are all great things, but they’re still vulnerable to a fall. If they won a title they’re less likely to fall quickly because Kirby becomes a made guy. I just think that UGA winning a title does more harm to us than Saban winning another one because it’s just the expectation now.

Dang. Sometimes, even a Dookie lays down some wisdom!! :)

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Good points. I intend to make the best of whoever wins by thoroughly mocking the loser.

I’m always a Vol first 😉

Dookie as in Dook grad? If so, my sister and cousin graduated from Duke. Sis was there when they won the championship with Laettner, Hurley, Hill, etc. I called her up to congratulate her and she didn’t seem to even know about it, pretty tragic…

Dookie as in Dook grad? If so, my sister and cousin graduated from Duke. Sis was there when they won the championship with Laettner, Hurley, Hill, etc. I called her up to congratulate her and she didn’t seem to even know about it, pretty tragic…
No I’m not a Duke grad. I don’t even pretend to be
😎
I’m a UTK grad. And very proud to be .

I grew up in Durham and started going to Duke games around age 4 in 1986 when my parents got season tickets. That was Johnny Dawkins, Bilas and those guys senior season. This is when Duke and K were really becoming a power and started giving UNC and NC State all they wanted. I got to be ball boy for the 91,92 and 93 seasons and my folks held onto the tickets until the 2001 season. I’ve been to countless games at Cameron and always wanted to play college basketball. Definitely didn’t pay that close attention to college football because Durham was/is the worst college football town, but I was always a Tennessee fan because my family is from the Tri Cities . Went to my first game in 99 vs Notre Dame and fell in love. Went to my first game as a college student in 2001 vs LSU in Neyland, decided being a red shirt college basketball player was not for me and transferred to Knoxville. The rest is history.

@VollnNW and others like to give me crap about it.

No I’m not a Duke grad. I don’t even pretend to be
😎
I’m a UTK grad. And very proud to be .

I grew up in Durham and started going to Duke games around age 4 in 1986 when my parents got season tickets. That was Johnny Dawkins, Bilas and those guys senior season. This is when Duke and K were really becoming a power and started giving UNC and NC State all they wanted. I got to be ball boy for the 91,92 and 93 seasons and my folks held onto the tickets until the 2001 season. I’ve been to countless games at Cameron and always wanted to play college basketball. Definitely didn’t pay that close attention to college football because Durham was/is the worst college football town, but I was always a Tennessee fan because my family is from the Tri Cities . Went to my first game in 99 vs Notre Dame and fell in love. Went to my first game as a college student in 2001 vs LSU in Neyland, decided being a red shirt college basketball player was not for me and transferred to Knoxville. The rest is history.

@VollnNW and others like to give me crap about it.

Awesome! I meant to get over to Cameron while my cousin was there until recently, but never made it, will definitely be regretting that.

Awesome! I meant to get over to Cameron while my cousin was there until recently, but never made it, will definitely be regretting that.
Cameron is a really special place to me. Neyland is the same way. I was very fortunate that my parents moved to Durham when they did . I’ve seen some great basketball players and games in that place. I’m hoping to be able to go this season, we’ll see though. I heard tix for the Georgia Tech game were going for $350 or $400 last night . And a friend of mine is selling his Duke/UNC court side seats for over a million $$. True Story.

Ticket prices to Coach K's final Battle of Blues game top $500,000

VN Store

Back