Vacation / Travel

It's incredible. Everyone skips Lima to go to Cusco and Machu Picchu. Don't do that. Stay in Lima a while.
In what part of Lima will you be staying? My wife is from San Juan de Miraflores. Her family considers it a less desirable neighborhood in recent years. I feel for them and the people of Peru. Many have suffered so much in the last two years.

Reactions: LittleVol
In what part of Lima will you be staying? My wife is from San Juan de Miraflores. Her family considers it a less desirable neighborhood in recent years. I feel for them and the people of Peru. Many have suffered so much in the last two years.
It's been a mess with a lot of things lately.

We'll be between Callao, San Borja, and La Molina on this trip. Her family is so big we bounce around. My favorites to stay with are the ones in Callao, it's much more laid back and peaceful with them.

It's incredible. Everyone skips Lima to go to Cusco and Machu Picchu. Don't do that. Stay in Lima a while.
We stayed in Lima before and after doing the hike to Machu Picchu. I'll never forget my BIL wanted to go to this restaurant in Lima on our first day. It was up hills and stairs to get there, thinking what did we get ourselves into...but great thing, the restaurant was closed 😄

We had a great time up in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Did the SkyLift Park / SkyBridge, Alpine Mountain Coasters, rode go-carts, ate at Flap Jacks and drove up into the Smokies this morning to Newfound Gap this morning before we left. It was so peaceful just hanging out at the cabin with my family. Didn't see any bears though :(

We had a great time up in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Did the SkyLift Park / SkyBridge, Alpine Mountain Coasters, rode go-carts, ate at Flap Jacks and drove up into the Smokies this morning to Newfound Gap this morning before we left. It was so peaceful just hanging out at the cabin with my family. Didn't see any bears though :(
I think the bears sleep quite a bit this time of year, although they do come out some. I'm certainly no expert though.

Reactions: walkenvol and SDV
We stayed in Lima before and after doing the hike to Machu Picchu. I'll never forget my BIL wanted to go to this restaurant in Lima on our first day. It was up hills and stairs to get there, thinking what did we get ourselves into...but great thing, the restaurant was closed 😄
on my to-do list when i feel it will be safe for me to travvel
godfather to grandson No. 2 is there now; also have relative who's wife is from peru who i hope can be help in arranging trip=

Reactions: vollygirl
Book a room in Lake City to stay on the way down for our cruise in February. Hubby wanted to pay the rate for free cancellation. I feel like he jinxed us.
Unfortunately it's really the best thing these days. My parents rebooked multiple cruises last year and the first one finally went in November. They've already had one in March canceled, but all others this year are a go. I hope you get to go!

Unfortunately it's really the best thing these days. My parents rebooked multiple cruises last year and the first one finally went in November. They've already had one in March canceled, but all others this year are a go. I hope you get to go!
Me too. We missed the Alaska trip that was set for 2020. That one hurt.

Have you been there or was that going to be your first? Highly recommend that cruise if you can make it happen!
First time. Getting it scheduled with Tony's sisters was a nightmare, had to book it 18 months in advance to get a date that worked for everybody.

Reactions: volwindy
Me too. We missed the Alaska trip that was set for 2020. That one hurt.
We booked a German river cruise in 2019 for a September trip in 2020 which was cancelled. We’re rescheduled for 2022 but I’m not feeling optimistic about international travel still. Seems like we’ve been going to take this trip forever

We booked a German river cruise in 2019 for a September trip in 2020 which was cancelled. We’re rescheduled for 2022 but I’m not feeling optimistic about international travel still. Seems like we’ve been going to take this trip forever
We have a Mediterranean cruise booked for 3-26. I feel good about it. Fingers crossed.
Which river(s)?

My parents cruise in November was an international cruise out of England. The only issue was one of their ports being closed so I think they did one stop for two days instead.

We have a Mediterranean cruise booked for 3-26. I feel good about it. Fingers crossed.
Which river(s)?
We did a Mediterranean in 2018 starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome. Was a nice trip and Monaco is spectacular. We scheduled an extra day in Rome but wish we had done a couple more as there’s so much to see there. The art in the Vatican is unmatched to anything I’ve ever seen. If you go to Rome make sure to watch the classic Roman Holiday before going

It’s been so long on the upcoming trip that I’ve forgotten the details except it stops in a town that does a Passion play that’s only performed every 10 years which is why we had to book so early

Last edited:
We did a Mediterranean in 2018 starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome. Was a nice trip and Monaco is spectacular. We scheduled an extra day in Rome but wish we had done a couple more as there’s so much to see there. The art in the Vatican is unmatched to anything I’ve ever seen. If you go to Rome make sure to watch the classic Roman Holiday before going

It’s been so long on the upcoming trip that I’ve forgotten the details except it stops in a town that does a Passion play that’s only performed every 10 years which is why we had to book so early

We have been to Rome 5 times/ Will spend 2.5 days there pre cruise before Civitavecchia to board. Cruise ends in Barcelona. ha, "Roman Holiday" is one of my favorite movies. Love the scene where they visit the mouth of Truth. I've advised the people we age going with to watch it.
i thought I wouldn't enjoy the Vatican. Sistine Chapel, wow. David at Accademia in Florence. They don't make humans like Michelangelo any more.

No shortage of rivers in Germany. Plenty of choices when I've looked.

We did a Disney Alaskan cruise in 2019 and it was unbelievable. Alaska is incredible
We were looking forward to it like you couldn't believe! Took four months to finally get one brother-in-law to fly (he is deathly afraid of flying), so when the cruise got canceled, we worried he would take it as a sign that he wasn't supposed to fly. haha But he's cool with trying again at some point. The sister who is a teacher will be retired by that time, so the only work schedule any of us will have to deal with will be mine.

Reactions: SDV
We thought of trying to do that too. Where all are you going?
Flying into anchorage and heading straight to Denali/Healy for 2 nights. Spending a couple nights in Palmer to do the glaciers down that way then going to Seward for the remainder of the trip. Going to do some fishing, fjords boat tour, hiking etc from down there. Staying pretty touristy but still really looking forward to it.

Flying into anchorage and heading straight to Denali/Healy for 2 nights. Spending a couple nights in Palmer to do the glaciers down that way then going to Seward for the remainder of the trip. Going to do some fishing, fjords boat tour, hiking etc from down there. Staying pretty touristy but still really looking forward to it.
That sounds amazing!! I kinda stopped when I realized how much planning it would take for the 6 of us. Maybe we'll check on some kind of pre-planned tour or something. I was looking forward to seeing Seattle, and being able to say I had been to Canada (I think it was Victoria?). Can't wait to hear about your trip!!

VN Store

Back