Post on A&M paying players

Those teams should have successful recruiting classes based on geography and state talent. Coaches at Miami should sleep in their own bed each night because of the talent in South Florida.
They should but they haven’t been until recently. What’s the common thread? NIL money. It’s all about the mean green now and it’s not under the table anymore.

SO as a CFB fan you ARE NOT upset that another school with incredibly deep pockets can take "buy" any athlete they want while other schools without much $$$$ cannot begin to compete for that same player?

NIL is the devil. This is nothing but pay for play now boys.
The problem is that the cows are out of the barn now and they ain’t going back in. If you don’t pay, you don’t play for the big recruits anymore. Only question is how far down the ladder it goes. 4 and 5 stars are in play for sure. It’s a new world fellas. Deal with it or don’t. What we think about it doesn’t make one 💩 because it is here.

There is a reason that A M had the number 1 recruiting class above Alabama this year. Alabama racks it in on tv games etc. but their NIL donors can match up with us - but not the Texas schools.

Don’t know if you know this or not but NSD hasn’t happened yet.

Some people just don’t understand the new world. We have TikTok stars making millions off endorsements. Why can’t college athletes do the same? It is hard for people to grasp that you can make money and not have a traditional 9 to 5 job.
I just think it’s naïveté run amok or people wishing it was still the old rah, rah “Win One For The Gipper” NCAA sports and it’s just not and never will be again. (There was always money changing hands. Now it’s legal.) Let’s talk about possible ramifications. If I was an O lineman getting $50K and I’m blocking for a QB that has a seven figure deal, he’d better be sliding some of that my way or some defensive end may get through on his blind side for a free shot. Just sayin’. 😉😇

Reactions: rev_911
They should but they haven’t been until recently. What’s the common thread? NIL money. It’s all about the mean green now and it’s not under the table anymore.
Miami hasn’t been good because they’ve been cheap on coaching hires since Davis left. They have the athletes and money. With Cristobol they now have a coach, school investment and he’ll do a better job of securing the area without Nevin Shapiros Ponzi Scheme.

Miami hasn’t been good because they’ve been cheap on coaching hires since Davis left. They have the athletes and money. With Cristobol they now have a coach, school investment and he’ll do a better job of securing the area without Nevin Shapiros Ponzi Scheme.
Yep. And that “investment” includes NIL money.

FBI wiretaps had Creighton paying $100,000 for a basketball player. That's Creighton. And basketball.
About 7-8 years ago, I talked to a guy who had head coaching positions at several mid-major colleges. He said an "average" point guard prospect graduating from HS would cost about $35-40K. That's probably chump change now. Creighton is looking at elite HS players, so $100K is probably the going price.

I didn't dodge anything. The fact that I coached football has nothing to do with this. Trophies come with championships and if you do not care about championships why are you even a sports fan?

What's a championship? What does that look like?

Everyone's won a few trophies - eventually your mom puts them in the attic or throws them out.

If you coached - when you went on the road - you wanted a level playing field - didn't want tons of home cooking or to have 4 of your touchdowns called back because of questionable penalties. If you coached a local high school you probably didn't want to play IMG Academy
or it's equivalent every week. So we both probably like a fairly even playing field at the end of the day.

Between Charlie Ergen and the Haslam family there is in the ballpark of 24 billion dollars of net worth. If they started an LLC and put 500 million each into the bank the LLC would earn conservatively 1.5% interest. That would be 15 million dollars a year to sign NIL deals and it never eats into the principal money. This is just using 2 donors. Tennessee boosters can in fact match basically any team in NIL deals if they desire.
Those guys can get closer to 10% on their money, guaranteed.

Reactions: 1TheCoach1
Or UM Hospital profits to pay 80M for their new head coach. That’s the investment I was referring too.
No problem with that. Pay the coach any way you can. But I can assure you they’ll have to pony up major NIL money or they will get outbid for all those South Florida studs. It’s the way of the world going forward and that’s just the way it is.

Between Charlie Ergen and the Haslam family there is in the ballpark of 24 billion dollars of net worth. If they started an LLC and put 500 million each into the bank the LLC would earn conservatively 1.5% interest. That would be 15 million dollars a year to sign NIL deals and it never eats into the principal money. This is just using 2 donors. Tennessee boosters can in fact match basically any team in NIL deals if they desire.
I would rather they put their money into advancing education and society. College athletics are on the level of WWE now.

Reactions: BabyvoI
The problem is that the cows are out of the barn now and they ain’t going back in. If you don’t pay, you don’t play for the big recruits anymore. Only question is how far down the ladder it goes. 4 and 5 stars are in play for sure. It’s a new world fellas. Deal with it or don’t. What we think about it doesn’t make one 💩 because it is here.
I agree with you and see very little value in what college athletics provide for society now. Hopefully the administrators think seriously about whether they want to use their resources to support farm leagues for the pros. These kids are no longer amateurs.

Reactions: BabyvoI
What's a championship? What does that look like?

Everyone's won a few trophies - eventually your mom puts them in the attic or throws them out.

If you coached - when you went on the road - you wanted a level playing field - didn't want tons of home cooking or to have 4 of your touchdowns called back because of questionable penalties. If you coached a local high school you probably didn't want to play IMG Academy
or it's equivalent every week. So we both probably like a fairly even playing field at the end of the day.
I didn't care who we played as a player or a coach. I didn't have the mindset of (boo hoo) things aren't equal. There is a reason it is called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. Officiating? You are all over the place.

Time for the "Pony Express" to ride again!

I'm just being a smartass, here. Hey, LordB, the pony express never really went away and operates to this day, even if it isn't called pony express. It's called bicycle courier service. Couriers still share many of the dangers of life and limb, the need for speed, getting run down, not being paid their real worth, and so on that pony express riders faced. ;)

Most of the SEC schools are not in the same ball part as Texas and Texas A M with regard to resources to buy players.

Texas has the most money in the SEC in their endowment and Texas A M the second most. It's not even close. The same families that give to the endowment can easily give to the charities running the NIL.

Be prepared to always be behind those schools for talent.

Approximate endowment:
Texas 30.9 B
Texas AM 13.59 B
Florida 1.85 B
Tenn and most others come in around 1.2 - 1.5 B

Notre Dame, Standford, Duke, Southern Cal also way up there.

I am going to say that this is exactly what A M did.

I had a good friend that played for A&M in the 90's, back then top players he said were pulling in upwards of $200k, no telling what it is now.

I would rather they put their money into advancing education and society. College athletics are on the level of WWE now.

Go ahead and see how much $ Bama can offer out of state students compared to what UT offers.

That rising tide 🤮 certainly lifts all boats at a university.

I had a good friend that played for A&M in the 90's, back then top players he said were pulling in upwards of $200k, no telling what it is now.

Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd weighed-in on the news, and called USC an 'obvious choice' for Williams.

"Caleb Williams can make more money short-term going to Auburn or Georgia. There is a certain SEC school, [that] I wont name, that is now giving one million dollars promised to five-star recruits," Cowherd said Wednesday on The Herd.

I think this is A and M.

There are going to have to be some kind of limits to this stuff. No way this continues

VN Store

Back