Media is making college football unwatchable

I really don't think it's that simple. The commercial breaks in CFB are FAR longer than in the NFL, and in the NFL they don't hold the game up for commercials. Yes part of the issue for UT is the fake injuries and up-tempo passing game. But still look at other games, they are all pushing 4+ hours.
Are the breaks longer? It doesn’t seem like it, but could be wrong. There are definitely more of them because of all the scoring.

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?

Look at the number of plays too. Far more in a college game.

I’d rather watch a 6-3 college game than any NFL. 15 penalties a game is the norm

We are only worried about it because we've had some truly bizarre games with lots of penalties, reviews, fake injuries (lots of real ones from us) and points

The flopping isn't going anywhere.

You can't retaliate against an injury. And you can't rightfully judge what is real or not unless you are the player or medical staff.

Regardless if we all have eyes and see it's a flop. Morally it's wrong and potentially dangerous to start questioning the nature of injuries.
This is easy. Injured players cannot return until there is a change of possession,

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?

I can tell you as someone who was at the game...

IT WAS AWESOME!

You can't retaliate against an injury. And you can't rightfully judge what is real or not unless you are the player or medical staff.

Regardless if we all have eyes and see it's a flop. Morally it's wrong and potentially dangerous to start questioning the nature of injuries.
No retaliation. Just make them sit the rest of the series. Injuries won’t be as common if that’s the case.

An "injured" player should have to sit out the remainder of the series. If he's really hurt, he shouldn't be out there for a few minutes anyway, and less likely to fake an injury
if it costs playing time!

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
The sideline reporters, the pregame, the halftime the breaks, the endgame interviews it’s all way too overblown!!! Why in the world these pinheads think we want to sit there and watch five player interviews at the end of a game when they all say the same stupid ****! They ask stupid questions it’s not insightful and they’re trying to create something that’s just not there!

I turn it off… as the games get longer and all this garbage keeps going on the less interested I am, even in Tennessee games. When possible, I record and watch in an hour!

Reactions: rocky top buzz
I fully expect the NCAA to go the way of the PGA. Have “play through” showing the action on a split screen without commentators while airing commercials. They WILL NOT give up revenue generated by said commercials. I go to most Vol home games and it’s more annoying to me live at the game than home on TV. Things have changed so much just the last few years. I can only imagine what the future hold. I would be lying if I said my interest level is the same as 10 years ago.

I fully expect the NCAA to go the way of the PGA. Have “play through” showing the action on a split screen without commentators while airing commercials. They WILL NOT give up revenue generated by said commercials. I go to most Vol home games and it’s more annoying to me live at the game than home on TV. Things have changed so much just the last few years. I can only imagine what the future hold. I would be lying if I said my interest level is the same as 10 years ago.
I feel the same way. The 21st century sucks in more ways than one. I wish we could rewind the clock 25~30 years.

NIL/portal have doomed college football more than long commercials. The schools with the biggest donor bases will be the NFL feeders, and other teams will be the feeders for them. With no stability in any programs except the top ones, I predict complete degeneration in 4 years. I hope to still be going to UT games after that, here's hoping our donors measure up to A&M and the Longhorns.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I’m not going to stop watching Tennessee games because of the constant commercial breaks, but I do watch football as a whole a lot less because of them. Soccer is honestly one of the best sports to watch if you hate commercial breaks

No offense, but I despise soccer. I find it unwatchable. First time I ever watched a soccer game on TV was this one:

When Pele played last game 40 years ago

And I thought it was special. However, every other soccer game I have ever watched has been either boring as Hell or a disgrace. A bunch of morons running around kicking the ball back and forth. Always close to the midfield line. And that would be great if I am in the midst of an occasional bout with insomnia. Guess I should thank them, because every time it has hit, I can tune into a soccer game, and I am out like a light within 10 minutes. But while it beats getting addicted to some form of tranquilizers? It is far from close to being one of the best sports to watch.

But if you want something without commercial breaks worth watching? Watch this: It shows what I have been crazy about for the last 20 years (when it is available) and why I feel soccer is a disgrace.

the media pc crowd has ruined all television....just about any network show on slides in some pc & editorial crap, whether it is a sitcom, sports show, or drama...and that's the way it is....

Reactions: Doberman

You π/2 people need to reign in blaming the media for everything from the measles to pork belly prices. Using it as a one size fits all jar doesn't fly. Not that I am exactly a fan of the media myself. Seriously, this too long football game thing is less, far less about the media than it is about the usual element of capitalism known as greed. Wherever there's big money, there's greed, and schemes to get more money whether needed or not. Media didn't create the bowl games, media didn't create the commercials, and prolonged CFB games. No siree, the deep pocket fat cats who own the products and services businesses did that. So when they shake hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars in media's face to tack on extra air time to make their pitches, what do you expect? It's nothing new, in another era they did the same to farmers with big barns. Paid them to allow tourist sites, food products, farming products, restaurants and the like to be painted on those barns. You can even see vintage examples of this is your local Cracker Barrel restaurant. "You want to give me money, serious money, just to piggyback on what I normally do or have? Now, who doesn't like a swollen bank account?? Just look at how commercially saturated the Super Bowl have become. So one more time, it ain't the media, it's the greedy, deep pocket, fat cats driving these things. My suggestion is avoid the one size fits all, buzz word, slogan male bovine excretion and become educated as to what's really going on. you may not like it, but the truth is what it is.

Awaiting the put downs and other attacks ure to come for daring to tell it like it is.

Nah, a lot the problems in the game don't involve the media. The biggest ones for me are the lousy officials, the targeting rules, the NCAA and the death of special teams. Of course, that list will likely change greatly now that CFB has become a "professional sport" with players being paid. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Regular TV is unwatchable for me now. At some point in the future, streaming will replace regular TV and hopefully it won't be like that.

Me and my wife were just discussing this. I don’t think we watch anything on regular TV besides Tennessee games, we stream all the shows we want to watch.

Yes attending any games (any sport) in person is not nearly as intense and energetic as years ago.

One thing CFB should do is keep the clock running after first downs. They could also make halftime shorter.

Other than that, the college game is going to be longer. It has more passing, more incomplete passes, and more scoring.
The clock does start after a first down. That was changed. It may take a second to restart but those couple seconds is not lengthing the game. I watched the LSU game last night a player was holding his arm instead of walking off the field he falls down and they went to commercials for 5 minutes

Reactions: VolsSince78

VN Store

Back