Media is making college football unwatchable

rocky top buzz

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?
College football isn’t longer bc of constant replays, they are longer because of many teams passing a lot and because of more commercials

College games were 4 hours-plus long before Heupel and Co. showed up on The Hill.

OP is right - the commercials plus the endless litigation over nearly every call and add the "fainting goat" time-outs and voila'.

I remember 10-15 years ago going to a UT and a Titans game on the same weekend and being impressed that the NFL got everything done in 3 hours. The game in Neyland the day before took over 4 without OT and with no goats.

One thing CFB should do is keep the clock running after first downs. They could also make halftime shorter.

Other than that, the college game is going to be longer. It has more passing, more incomplete passes, and more scoring.
I really don't think it's that simple. The commercial breaks in CFB are FAR longer than in the NFL, and in the NFL they don't hold the game up for commercials. Yes part of the issue for UT is the fake injuries and up-tempo passing game. But still look at other games, they are all pushing 4+ hours.

Reactions: VolsSince78
1. Get rid of flopping.
2. Replay takes entirely too long. Use a challenge system and take the ref on the field and that goofy run to the sideline out of it.
3. Run the clock on 1st downs and after incomplete passes and once the ball is re-spotted outside 2 minutes to go.

Last edited:
The thing is, the NFL can essentially present a unified front to the media….the NFL is truly a monopoly on pro football and, if ESPN or another network didn’t want to concede, the NFL can “take their ball” and go on to the next network

in college ball you have media rights deals all over the place and with numerous entities….individual schools, individual conferences, etc

The big difference is that, instead of an NFL-like unified product, in college you have too many brains at the table and too many competing agendas. With so little cohesion it lets the major networks have the seat of power

The flopping isn't going anywhere.

You can't retaliate against an injury. And you can't rightfully judge what is real or not unless you are the player or medical staff.

Regardless if we all have eyes and see it's a flop. Morally it's wrong and potentially dangerous to start questioning the nature of injuries.

One thing CFB should do is keep the clock running after first downs. They could also make halftime shorter.

Other than that, the college game is going to be longer. It has more passing, more incomplete passes, and more scoring.

This.

-
Media or fake injuries?

I record on YouTube TV. About an hour or more into the game, I start from beginning, skipping over commercials and halftime. I'm caught up to live action by the 4th quarter. The amount of commercials are obscene. Same for basketball.
Only drawback is I miss the hysteria on Volnation during the game. Boy, we have some um, highly exuberant fans. Fun to read afterward.

Not this again. Stop playing 18 because it takes too long.

I agree the 31/2 minute breaks so often is a kill joy. The only other option is to run the clock more so there’s less actual football.

I like the clock to stop and not start until the next play starts after incomplete passes and going out of bounds. I like the clock stopping while the refs get ready for the next set of downs after a first down.

Sure sometimes that works against us at the end of the half or game, but sometimes it helps us.

I like running more plays offense than usual. That’s typically when you score.

Nah, just have 2 minute breaks rather than the 31/2. That alone would make the breaks less unbearable.

Let’s not keep messing with how the game clock runs just to shorten game time when the real issue is TV commercials.

[QUOTE="05_never_again, post: 20762495, member: One thing CFB should do is keep the clock running after first downs. They could also make halftime shorter.

Other than that, the college game is going to be longer. It has more passing, more incomplete passes, and more scoring.[/QUOTE]

It is understated just how much it expands games because of college stopping the clock after every first down.

An extra 8 minutes of half time vs the NFL makes a difference as well.

Factor in all the flopping when their defense gets tired or they want to sub half the defense and our games are going to be at least 4 hours long.

went from each team having 3 timeouts per half to about 30 (ala ole miss) because of the flop factor

Reactions: Vol524

VN Store

Back