Game Thread: (7/9) Lady Vols 70 - Arkansas 63

I wondered what happened to their freshman post who was a high school all american she would have provided some size at 6'4".

He wanted her versus TN LOL ... but they decided to redshirt her. Mike is going to have some players next year and has her and Puffenbarger but he loses Ramirez who seems to make this team go when things get stuck...

Arkansas’ Dauda will redshirt

Last edited:
Sorta, and you love it for the kid when they finally get the development. But it could also be looked at as "See it was there all along just didn't get developed by college coach'. Exactly like Mercedes Russell and Diamond DeShields.

Diamond is a career 40% shooter in the WNBA and shot 40% in her 2 years at Tennessee. What development have you noticed in her?

I've long said the successful development of JH, our most elite recruit, is crucial for future elite recruiting.

CHW gifted us with several highly ranked recruits that either couldn't get drafted or got drafted low, hung on, worked hard, got coached up, and became the great players they should have been in college (Mercedes Russell for one). We became known as Underdevelopment U. It's so important for KJH to break that mold with JH.

But I swear I want it even more for what seems to be a really good kid trying hard.

Key is getting better,. Walker is getting better (though some of that is probably due to more time away from her last ACL). Jordan is a bit of an enigma but I think she is finding her groove a bit as a stopper and rebounder. She more Lex Hornbuckle than CP3.

I wondered what happened to their freshman post who was a high school all american she would have provided some size at 6'4".

He wanted her versus TN LOL ... but they decided to redshirt her. Mike is going to have some players next year and has her and Puffenbarger but he loses Ramirez who seems to make this team go when things get stuck...

She torn her ACL during senior season. There was a possibility that she can come back during the season but they decided to redshirt her.

Keyen said in her interview that the Arkansas game plan was to foul us. I think she got that right if only they had called them all.
It’s a solid plan on T. Key — she’s always appeared easily shaken when she gets swarmed.

Ramirez won’t be the only player they lose. Davis already transferred to Ole Miss. Will be shocked if they don’t have a couple more in the portal. Their chemistry looks terrible. I’m betting at least one freshman and one upperclassman are in the portal for them at then end of the season.

If they have a tough SEC season it may be more. The last time they had chemistry issues they had a very bad SEC season but Dungee single handedly took them to the SEC tournament game. After that he gave her the reins and told the others to take a backseat. It was Ramirez, Dungee and Tolfree that were having issues with one another I believe.

Last edited:
You know you suck at FT shooting when 64% is considered a high water mark...
Looks like most of the teams in the SEC can't shoot them. Were certainly the worst, but very few teams shooting 70 percent. I said it may cost us a game somewhere down the line and the Stanford game may have already been one where that happened. So far that is the only game it played a huge role except making us have to really work in the fourth quarter to win games where we could've put a team away by making them much earlier.

considering the FT difference it wasn't that effective LOL... maybe instead of working the refs he should of gotten his team to drive on TN more lol

Yeah I think he spent too much time jawing at the officials and not enough time coaching his team. They did exactly what they wanted and pulled Tamari out of the key. Can hardly think of a layup they got doing that though. Maybe Goforth once?

Kellie was content to let them bomb 3s they are not as good a 3 point shooting team as they have been in recent years. Tolfree and Dungee were considerably more dangerous on the perimeter than Wolfenbarger and Spencer. Langerman is a hustler but has no offensive game at all.

Seemed to me like we were content to let Ramirez get hers as long as nobody else got theirs. Not unlike Virginia Tech.

Wondering how much of Arkansas' scout on us and gameplan to foul came from our former assistant coach?
Doesn't take insider info to game plan forcing TK to play thru the heaviest contact the refs will allow. Because that plus getting her in foul trouble is all anyone has to use against her.

Plus plan to be sure your own players' mouth guards are well fitted and in place bc a bunch of leather gonna be flying back in their direction.

Last edited:
Wondering how much of Arkansas' scout on us and gameplan to foul came from our former assistant coach?

I think she had some input that they could rough Key up and she would lose her cool and get in foul trouble. She didn't some although she was charged with four fouls in the game at least two were bogus and none as atrocious as this one.

What kind of blind Ref thought this was a no call foul against Key!!! I would be sending this one to the SEC office.

Last edited:
Diamond is a career 40% shooter in the WNBA and shot 40% in her 2 years at Tennessee. What development have you noticed in her?
We're talking overall perception, and I believe most see DD as a much better player now. Of course she told us that's bc she always should have been playing for money LOL. Not really Holly's fault except the initial decision to take DD which led to probably the worse player/coach matchup in history.
Key is getting better,. Walker is getting better (though some of that is probably due to more time away from her last ACL). Jordan is a bit of an enigma but I think she is finding her groove a bit as a stopper and rebounder. She more Lex Hornbuckle than CP3.
Definitely some encouraging if incremental development going on in many players and that's great. But again, its the overall perception, fueled by rival recruiters, that this is the place elite recruits come to have middling outcomes. Which is why JH, as our highest profile recruit, becomes important.

I agree, there's a good chance JH settles in as a very valuable role player known for D and rebounding. And Lord knows, that's a very worthy career. Just not the one she or anyone else expected.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Doesn't take insider info to game plan forcing TK to play thru the heaviest contact the refs will allow. Because that plus getting her in foul trouble is all anyone has to use against her.

Plus plan to be sure your own players' mouth guards are well fitted and in place bc a bunch of leather gonna be flying back in their direction.

Agree with you on the D against Key but if her improved FT shooting stays consistent, fouling her may not be the best option any more. Kelly is just going to have to constantly work the refs on mugging key and calling the cheap fouls on her. She is going to have to call up some of Pat's ref management techniques, ha.

Looks like most of the teams in the SEC can't shoot them. Were certainly the worst, but very few teams shooting 70 percent. I said it may cost us a game somewhere down the line and the Stanford game may have already been one where that happened. So far that is the only game it played a huge role except making us have to really work in the fourth quarter to win games where we could've put a team away by making them much earlier.

if you look at last game stats, with a 64% overall FT shooting, which player would you say from that should go to the gym every day for hours extra working on them? i looked at each and couldn't tell you who that player might be, just from that game's stats.

VN Store

Back