Game Thread: (7/9) Lady Vols 70 - Arkansas 63

I would be really unhappy with our defense. I would be totally unhappy with the way the game has been called. I would not let Darby try to guard Ramirez don't understand that at all. I think were low energy today and the Refs are making a huge difference looks like they are trying to make the whining Arkansas coach happy.
If Darby stays on Ramirez, it’s going to continue to be shooting practice for her. Wynn is not much of a better alternative. She’s quicker but she’s running in the opposite direction after one crossover.

Gotta make Ramirez play some D. Tire her out,maybe a couple cheap foul calls..

Yes. Whomever she is guarding needs to be moved straight to the block. Post her up. It’s exhausting and will tire her legs so her shot will start coming up short. She’s easy to score on also, doesn’t play a lick of defense. They do a good job hiding her defensively. A lot like when the middle blocker gets caught in the back row in volleyball. Arkansas is playing 4 on 5 a lot defensively.

If Darby stays on Ramirez, it’s going to continue to be shooting practice for her. Wynn is not much of a better alternative. She’s quicker but she’s running in the opposite direction after one crossover.

Wynn was disappointing today. She’s too hyped and overshooting everything on both ends. Over committing and getting beat on defense and over penetrating off balance on offense. Needs to calm down and she could really change things for us in the second half.

Wynn was disappointing today. She’s too hyped and overshooting everything on both ends. Over committing and getting beat on defense and over penetrating off balance on offense. Needs to calm down and she could really change things for us in the second half.
I agree, but this is the Wynn I’ve seen every game this year (and at the open practice) so I’m not sure a calmer Wynn is even an option at this point. That may take at least 1 year as it did for Burrell.

This entire game is about defending Ramirez and Daniels for the most part and we had Darby on Ramirez and Wynn let Daniels get two straight layups on her. No reason we should lose today unless we decide to keep playing like we played in that half of the game.

Refs are garden variety bad but let's get real. It's Ramirez, not the refs, keeping them in the game. Got to guard her, and not with Darby please. How about the long arms of Horston on her?

Most of her open looks have come courtesy of blatant moving screens. We aren’t guarding them well, but it’s difficult when they are allowed to displace the defender 3 feet. That’s been a point of emphasis all season and suddenly they have called none of them on Arkansas in the first half.

Same with travels I thought they had 3 or 4 obvious ones after they over penetrated and shuffled their feet.

Yes. She looks like the adrenaline rush she's getting when she gets her number called is making her be "extra." She has got to calm down.

Reactions: VolBall09
Yes. She looks like the adrenaline rush she's getting when she gets her number called is making her be "extra." She has got to calm down.

At this point she should have a pretty clear yellow light offensively. Unless she’s wide open she needs to pass it. She’s getting minutes for her defense and energy. She needs to focus on that.

10 turnovers to their 2 protect the ball 8 for 12 on free throws pound the paint and the boards and we are good

VN Store

Back