The Official Tennessee vs. Purdue Music City Bowl Game Thread, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

Most of Purdue's touchdowns came on long ridiculous bonehead plays, so I think we should have kicked it.

We also should have run it again up the middle when Wright took it to the 3

Made no sense to pass there when we had been gashing them up the gut

And then we use our scat back...

And the refs decide that we aren't allowed a TD

Instead of scat back I think you meant to say “our healthy back”

Do you have a reaponse other than my temperament ? Yes im angry, im angry that officials have to much subjective power influence by money... In no world does anyone look at the 4th down call and blow that play dead unless you have a real agenda.... The NCAA needs to look at its officials universally. It has needed to happen for years and IF you are going to have a replay use the damn thing correctly. This is not the first and probably not the last time this will happen... I do agree we need defense badly, I cant say much regarding the Offense because it has scored more points than any in the schools history. We left some plays out there and maybe a few calls too. No staff is perfect. Not even Saban... They just have the players to execute. I don't kniw if we win the game, we were cheated out of a chance to see.
This,my friends, is a VFL ...

Reactions: VollerNbham
Hate to lose when it's basically a home game.
It's a pretty brutal loss.

Really shorthanded Purdue team

Blew a 21-7 first quarter lead

Packed house in the capitol

We win we go 8-5 and carry tons of momentum going into next year and would have probably been ranked

But nope

Lay and egg and stifle all this momentum

Reactions: orange_glory
That's not the right call. You kick the fg and give your team a chance
I actually think it was the right call.... Our guy got in the endzone. We got screwed on this play... Much like the Tillman jersey pull. It was an obvious hold at the least. Guess what if they throw the flag we are in field goal range. Changes the play calling etc. I can't fault Heupel for having a set of nuts. We didn't play well overall. Did we play well enough to win ? Not sure qe were screwed out of those chance not once but twice. We had one guy flagged 4 times for INT 3 were correct 1 questionable. The game was not called the same for both teams. Even with everything we did wrong we had a chance that was taken by a referee who did not blow the whistle

It's a pretty brutal loss.

Really shorthanded Purdue team

Blew a 21-7 first quarter lead

Packed house in the capitol

We win we go 8-5 and carry tons of momentum going into next year and would have probably been ranked

But nope

Lay and egg and stifle all this momentum

By start of next season the hype will be here, the enthusiasm will be rampant and we will be onward and upward. (Though I will not forget the screwing by the incompetent ACC officiating crew!!)

Did you have confidence in our defense to get a stop? That’s the obvious issue and why he went for it

I had the same confidence in them that I did the offense, so yes. And it's kind of funny they actually did get the stop making Perdue kick the FG for the win. Of course things could have played out a lot differently with them needing a TD to win. I just like our chances better forcing 2nd OT.

Whistle doesn't matter when forward progress has determined to have been stopped. They explained it on the broadcast.

He was stopped short, they weren't letting him move forward, he had to reach his hand out to score but at that point he had already been stopped and the ref saw and called it. That's the rule. It was the right call whether we like it or not.
If that’s correct then rules need to change. Everyone knows you play to the whistle bud!!

You're saying we should have kicked the FG when we converted on 4th down? Is that like the opposite of hindsight?? I don't trust kickers at this level. In the NFL, sure give them respect.

That was just about game over right there and Hooker was very fortunate..

I actually think it was the right call.... Our guy got in the endzone. We got screwed on this play... Much like the Tillman jersey pull. It was an obvious hold at the least. Guess what if they throw the flag we are in field goal range. Changes the play calling etc. I can't fault Heupel for having a set of nuts. We didn't play well overall. Did we play well enough to win ? Not sure qe were screwed out of those chance not once but twice. We had one guy flagged 4 times for INT 3 were correct 1 questionable. The game was not called the same for both teams. Even with everything we did wrong we had a chance that was taken by a referee who did not blow the whistle
Multiple 3rd or 4th and shorts we got blown up. Small was banged up and not on the game. You kick the fg

I had the same confidence in them that I did the offense, so yes. And it's kind of funny they actually did get the stop making Perdue kick the FG for the win. Of course things could have played out a lot differently with them needing a TD to win. I just like our chances better forcing 2nd OT.

Because Perdue wasn’t attempting to get a first down. You can’t genuinely count that as a stop

I think if its called correctly and we get the 7 we have a 30% chance of getting the stop at best. So in my mind going for 7 instead of 3 is the call. Heupel to me got it right. I just wish there was real accountability in Officiating. The explanation was as stupid as it sounded. Basically whenever he determines the play is dead its dead. Why have replay.... human error and all. He clearly scored, but because he determined with error replay foes nothing. So why do we have replay ? If replay can over turn a blown dead fumble why is it not the same for a TD with no whistle until the ball went over the line. It was clear as day with the whistle

The way the D was playing you go for it on 4th and 1. He made the right call. Period
D did ok in the red zone...
I think taking the FG was the better call at least for that 1st possession in OT.
Our D had rest at the end of the game because our offense had the ball, offense had the ball at the start of OT so D had even more rest. They should've been good for one last push but by us not taking the FG. Purdue pretty just played to get the ball in position to kick a FG and win

You're saying we should have kicked the FG when we converted on 4th down? Is that like the opposite of hindsight?? I don't trust kickers at this level. In the NFL, sure give them respect.
Yeah kick the FG. I said early in the season and I’ll continue to say it. There’s no I in team ! You put the trust in TEAM ! This is why we got blown out in games and this will be why we don’t win close games more than not. Trust the kicker/punter and or your defense. Okay let’s say we kick the FG. Now you put the trust in your kicker. Next your defense goes out there and put it all on the line. There not guaranteed nothing and possibly a turnover you don’t know. But this is a TEAM effort. This way of playing isn’t TEAM effort it’s the I !!! Mark my word you don’t win championships with this mentality. These are just flashy fun statistical numbers and games. It want win you 10 11 12 or championships.

Hooray for you........and Happy New Year. UT isn't in good shape. Ballsey may have cost us the game but you be you. As for me CJH's 4th down decisions whereever they occur on the field aren't intelligent. In time you'll know.
I can’t wait til I’m all lurnt-up. And I do appreciate your magnanimous nature. One day, we’ll meet at a random place and time, meet eyes, and we’ll just know. Then maybe we’ll embrace, perhaps kiss. Not in a sexual way, more of a Western European way, like some of them do. Then maybe share a meal, details about our respective upbringing…favorite color…who knows. The world/universe works in mysterious

**** OFF!

Somebody explain to me how thousands of posts on volnation, Twitter, etc about this game with a loud boisterous crowd and players on both teams playing physical football, that this is a meaningless game?

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back