Offense Matters

vols1071

Love our defense and effort but our coaching offensively and philosophy has to be better... What is the direction?

Reactions: 08Vol
My question is this: We led 65-62 with about 2:00 left. Why are we in a zone defense against a team who lives and dies by the 3. Predictably, Bama got a wide open corner shot for 3 to tie the game. Also, the lack of offensive discipline in shot selection and execution on offense in last 5 minutes was tough to swallow. Oates once again beats Barnes. It would be nice to feel like we actually outcoached the other team once in a while in key moments Down the stretch. I know, I know we outlasted Arizona. But that was after darn near blowing a huge lead.

My question is this: We led 65-62 with about 2:00 left. Why are we in a zone defense against a team who lives and dies by the 3. Predictably, Bama got a wide open corner shot for 3 to tie the game. Also, the lack of offensive discipline in shot selection and execution on offense in last 5 minutes was tough to swallow. Oates once again beats Barnes. It would be nice to feel like we actually outcoached the other team once in a while in key moments Down the stretch. I know, I know we outlasted Arizona. But that was after darn near blowing a huge lead.

In a zone because ZZ, SV, and VJ all had 4 fouls. Bama was something like 0-10 shooting 3s after the half. There is no perfect solution.

What p!sses me off is that Barnes didn't have enough respect for Vol fans to put out the word that we would be minus our two best players going into our the first conference game against a hated rival. He and his staff knew well before tip-off that Fulkerson and Chandler had the Covid and would not be available, yet he kept the horrible news from being disseminated to folks who expected the Vols to go into Tuscaloosa and come out with a victory. Had everyone known that Chandler and Fulkerson wouldn't make it, we would have necessarily dampened our expectations.
Thanks, Rick.

In a zone because ZZ, SV, and VJ all had 4 fouls. Bama was something like 0-10 shooting 3s after the half. There is no perfect solution.
Under 4 minutes and definitely under 3 minutes you just gotta take your chances, it’s why coaches bring in guys with 4 fouls…play it out with your strengths, Bama was able to get 2 great looks from 3 that were the exact shots they wanted.

I'm sure Barnes didn't want to give the bamers information in advance about our line up, so he kept the covid info quiet. At least we nutted up and played, unlike some wussie teams (Memphis). They actually did fairly well with 2 starters missing. Did anyone hear Barnes say why with 5 mins to go and merely 6 points ahead, we spread the court on offense to seemingly burn clock. We pretty much were leading the whole game, we weren't looking great on offense for sure but they stayed ahead. Why change? There was to much time with 5 mins left and to small of a leading margin to spread the court and burn clock. Was he trying to draw a foul on a particular player? Just curious as to the line of reasoning behind the tactic.

Under 4 minutes and definitely under 3 minutes you just gotta take your chances, it’s why coaches bring in guys with 4 fouls…play it out with your strengths, Bama was able to get 2 great looks from 3 that were the exact shots they wanted.

Then TN likely fouls out their three guards. ZZ had already played the most minutes by far of any game of his career.

Not likely they’re pickup 3 fouls in 3 possessions, and Powell was available to come in…coaches don’t leave guys with 4 fouls on the bench late, go down swinging.

Would have been cool when Powell barfed on the court. Once ZZ gets his 5th, then that leaves SV to run the point instead of being the off guard. Bama likely gets turnovers when JJJ, Powell, Bailey, or Vescovi get pressured.

I'm sure Barnes didn't want to give the bamers information in advance about our line up, so he kept the covid info quiet. At least we nutted up and played, unlike some wussie teams (Memphis). They actually did fairly well with 2 starters missing. Did anyone hear Barnes say why with 5 mins to go and merely 6 points ahead, we spread the court on offense to seemingly burn clock. We pretty much were leading the whole game, we weren't looking great on offense for sure but they stayed ahead. Why change? There was to much time with 5 mins left and to small of a leading margin to spread the court and burn clock. Was he trying to draw a foul on a particular player? Just curious as to the line of reasoning behind the tactic.
I believe that was at the time both ZZ and Santi had 4 fouls right? ZZ stayed in but Santi went to the bench. I assumed he was trying to slow down the game a little and buy some time until he could get Santi back in.

Reactions: fullmetalvol
Would have been cool when Powell barfed on the court. Once ZZ gets his 5th, then that leaves SV to run the point instead of being the off guard. Bama likely gets turnovers when JJJ, Powell, Bailey, or Vescovi get pressured.
And the end result? Same either way…so again, you go down with your best shot imo. And Powell was fine to come in at the end, I highly doubt 90 more seconds would’ve killed him.

Yeah, it was a nice change up for a couple of possessions but we should have went back to man.

And the end result? Same either way…so again, you go down with your best shot imo. And Powell was fine to come in at the end, I highly doubt 90 more seconds would’ve killed him.

Powell didn’t put up a shot in the second half. Had he been inserted Bama defenders would have been in his jock. Bailey was left wide open. The strategy was fine. A college kid didn’t execute and a sick, closely guarded Powell doesn’t bring better odds.

Love our defense and effort but our coaching offensively and philosophy has to be better... What is the direction?
I think it's what this team will be. Our D will keep us in most games other than if a team shoots the 3's like Nova and we're off. Outside of Arizona game, it seems we're either "on" or "off" on offense...will be good to get Fulk back to see if he can continue to thrive. If he does, it will even out some of our off nights from the 3 point line.

Powell didn’t put up a shot in the second half. Had he been inserted Bama defenders would have been in his jock. Bailey was left wide open. The strategy was fine. A college kid didn’t execute and a sick, closely guarded Powell doesn’t bring better odds.
We had 3 to’s, we could’ve gone man and subbed in Mashack if need be, swapped back to Bailey/Powell on O…we shouldn’t have been in a zone with under 2 mins left….due on that hill if you’d like.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
We had 3 to’s, we could’ve gone man and subbed in Mashack if need be, swapped back to Bailey/Powell on O…we shouldn’t have been in a zone with under 2 mins left….due on that hill if you’d like.

Foul out ZZ, the only true point guard, and the pressure comes and the turnovers pile up.

Foul out ZZ, the only true point guard, and the pressure comes and the turnovers pile up.
Santi has played PG, so has JJJ, there are options…did Bama go zone to hide Quinerly or did they bring him back in around 4 minutes remaining and make their run with him having 4 fouls and never fouling out? It was house money, if you lose laying it all out there who cares, we played it “safe” and still lost!

Reactions: Volfan1000
It looks a lot like it has for the last few years.. They don't have that one guy to depend on when they need a bucket. Been that way for a minute, since Schofield and Williams i'd say. Bama had their point guard and ran things through him. Tennessee rotates way too many guys IMO.

It was questionable rotational management at best. I do not fault the guys for the effort and energy they put in short-handed last night, but Barnes did this team no favors down the stretch. We had TO’s. We could have subbed offense for defense as others have said.

I by no means suggesting “fire” Barnes or Barnes bashing. It’s fine to recognize that your coach made poor decisions and mistakes and not want him fired. But, this loss is definitely on Barnes. He has to do better setting his team up for success in that final 10 minutes and I don’t think his rotations did anything close to that.

It looks a lot like it has for the last few years.. They don't have that one guy to depend on when they need a bucket. Been that way for a minute, since Schofield and Williams i'd say. Bama had their point guard and ran things through him. Tennessee rotates way too many guys IMO.

And Tennessee was missing theirs along with their best post player, how would Bama have done without Quinerly and Gurley?

I personally like how we bring the post out high and run sets off that. We get a good mix of drives to the basket, dump-downs, and kick-outs. Look at our assist-to-made-fgs percentage...it's always been at or near the top of the conference. The problem is the un-made field goal situation - as seen in NY, and last night in bama

Pure and simple, a couple of our 'shooters' can't throw it in the ocean at times. Guys who you'd expect to shoot in the mid-40s barely scratch 30 ( 28% for our 5* forward). Or whatever shooting success they do have comes against the directional schools. Our offense produces plenty of wide open looks......make the damn shot fcol.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He had 5 fouls unfortunately. One of which where he fouled the guy with his chin.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back