SEC: 0-4 So Far in Bowl Season

Classy tweet from aTm barstool

That tweet is pretty funny. A&M was a client of mine and I had the "privileged" of going to College Station about every 6 months. I remember my first flight into College Station, it was summer and we landed around 7PM. When you got outside of the airport building the only sound you could hear was crickets... Not cars, not aircraft, not people, just bugs. Brown grass, brown uniforms, just very plain brown.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Army was a fluke. Florida has given up. Houston and Auburn were evenly matched teams and MSU has a coach who couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag. The SEC will win some bowls coming up

That old fluke bs. seriously?? Army really isn’t as bad as you make them to be but you do you, boo 🤣

I think they really missed the mark on their stupid ass tweet acting like they’re big shots.
They have an inferiority complex to Texas, and I think because of that they end up being like them sometimes. They frequently attack Texas for being an underachieving program, but if you look at their own history there have been very few periods where they have been consistently good.

If you knew nothing about CFB and someone showed you a video of Kyle Field during a game, you'd be tempted to think A&M had won 25 national titles or something and was one of the greatest programs of all time. The only period in their program's history where they consistently an elite team for a number of years was the 1920s. Seriously.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Some might say they overpaid for a football coach and started this mess we are seeing now.
I think people thought they were still a little crazy for the $75 million and then the extension and then Michigan State with Mel Tucker completely blew everything out of the water. It’s absurd. I think the current college football rules helped create this salary to entice good coaches to stay in the college game. Let’s be honest, being a college head coach is kind of a miserable existence these days. With early signing day and the portal you’re constantly recruiting not only your future players, but your current players as well. Throw in the Wild West that is the NIL and it’s just not a very good quality of life.

Reactions: Bearkat_Vol
I think people thought they were still a little crazy for the $75 million and then the extension and then Michigan State with Mel Tucker completely blew everything out of the water. It’s absurd. I think the current college football rules helped create this salary to entice good coaches to stay in the college game. Let’s be honest, being a college head coach is kind of a miserable existence these days. With early signing day and the portal you’re constantly recruiting not only your future players, but your current players as well. Throw in the Wild West that is the NIL and it’s just not a very good quality of life.
What’s the old saying? “Money can’t buy happiness.” But you can dang sure rent a bunch of it. You are correct that the quality of life probably isn’t very good. But I haven’t seen many of these guys walking away from it to work at Home Depot.

What’s the old saying? “Money can’t buy happiness.” But you can dang sure rent a bunch of it. You are correct that the quality of life probably isn’t very good. But I haven’t seen many of these guys walking away from it to work at Home Depot.
Good point.

The buyouts have a lot to do with that. If these contracts weren't guaranteed to such a large degree (or in Jimbo's case, fully guaranteed), a bunch of these guys would be OK staying in lower stress positions that also are very well-paid and that they know for certain they are good at.

A very high salary for a coach that wins at a high level is totally justified. What I cannot wrap my head around from a business/markets perspective is why incentive pay is not leveraged more by the schools and why these contracts are guaranteed to the degree that they are, especially for a coach that isn't proven. Sports is the ultimate results-based business, but the way the contracts are drawn up does not reflect that.

I am just amazed that the coaches have the leverage that they do, where unestablished ones like Mel Tucker get $95m guaranteed. I don't even think I would offer Nick Saban, as good and consistent as he is, a top salary that he receives regardless of performance. If Mich St wanted to offer Mel Tucker a contract where he could make up to, say, $10m in a season if he won a national title, then that's perfectly reasonable. Instead, Mel makes that even if he doesn't win another game at the school. It seems insane and I can't believe the schools agree to it.

5zdyjt.gif
Great take! Vandie the SEC " sure thing"!:cool::p

Reactions: MAD
13 SEC teams made bowl games. Name another conference that can boast that. It’s not even close to a pathetic conference. It’s the best and it’s not even close.

It’s only the best at the top. As a conference the SEC was 9-6 against other P5 schools in the regular season with UGA having 2 of them. Only 7 of the 14 SEC teams notched a W against OOC P5 schools.

Bowls don’t really mean much but so far in bowl season the SEC is 0-1 v P5 and 0-3 v G5. Below the top 3-4 teams the SEC is pretty mediocre.

Reactions: volbound1700
Likely SEC is suffering from its stars sitting out the less significant bowls to prep for the NFL draft workouts.

I do think conference prestige matters. I want us to play the best and to beat the best . I think we’re finally beginning to do our part of being the best, but seeing some of our rivals lose and do so while in the midst of mediocre seasons doesn’t bother me a bit. I think it’s much harder now than it used to be to judge teams and conferences based on bowl victories given the circumstances of opt outs and other factors.

I’ve always liked the idea of having conference challenge weekends, the way that basketball has the SEC/Big 12 challenge, the ACC/B1G challenge. I think it would be cool to see something like that take place over 2 weekends where teams are paired according to the order they finished previously . I think it could be good for college football.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
If the draft prospects don’t play, you do see that the team with more draft prospects is taking the bigger hit. It’s going to be impossible to make much sense (for me) out of the wins and losses. Sort of like a series of JV games with different rules at each school for who is JV.

I know sports fans would love to spend the next 10 years arguing about what these things “mean” but I don’t think it’s very interesting.

Why some fans cheer for any other SEC team baffles me.

Because at some point Tennessee could benefit from playing in the nation’s strongest conference, especially with the inevitable CFP expansion.

The SEC is getting two teams in a four-team tournament. Hell we had two teams in the BCS title game 10 years ago. Getting a third or fourth team in a 12/16 team playoff isn’t out of the question.

Last edited:
13 SEC teams made bowl games. Name another conference that can boast that. It’s not even close to a pathetic conference. It’s the best and it’s not even close.
But most of these 13 teams would not have even been bowl eligible if it were not for playing FCS schools and weak non con schedules. Most SEC teams need to upgrade non con schedule.

VN Store

Back