Navy Shuler coming home.

I think comparing Shuler to someone like Bray is a tough comparison.

Shuler had 500 attempts in his career, Bray had 450 attempts in a season.

Both had a similar QBR, y/a. Shuler had a better comp% and better TD to INT ratio.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Shuler’s problem in DC was Norv Turner who wanted him to be Troy Aikman, which was not a fit. Plus, Sonny Jurgensen who was on the radio team, made it known he preferred Gus Frerotte during their first training camp. Yes, they drafted Gus in the same draft and created all kinds of problems.
The Skins did the same thing with RG3 and Cousins.

Reactions: Coyote
I think he gets overlooked because he was almost immediately followed by Peyton. But yeah, Shuler was incredible. There was a reason dude was the runner up in the Heisman race in 93.
Yea because he had a good OC and NFL talent against a weaker schedule. And the Heisman was one of the weakest talent pool in recent memory that year. Check his big wins and stats vs the other top UT QBs

I have no reason not to believe he won’t be ready to play should the need arise under coach Hype
Josh Heupel was a 2* that ended up the JUCO route to Weber State tearing his ACL, transferring to Snow College, receiving an offer to Utah State, & with luck meeting Bob Stoops instead…rest is history. Josh Heupel coincidentally recruited Sam Bradford that was barely a 3* thanks to his OU offer. Dillon Gabriel was a 3* that put up insane #’s thanks to Heupel.
Not saying Navy will ever have that type of success…I will never question Heupel’s ability to coach up QBs though. He does it with a chip on his shoulder.

His Dad may have been the most physically gifted QB to ever play. Can you imagine what Heupel would do if he coached Heath
Heath Shuler is to Tennessee what Tim Tebow was to Florida. Shuler was the original Tebow….hands down.
He should’ve came back for his Senior season though. He wins a Heisman and 95% chance wins us a National Championship.

Heath Shuler is to Tennessee what Tim Tebow was to Florida. Shuler was the original Tebow….hands down.
He should’ve came back for his Senior season though. He wins a Heisman and 95% chance wins us a National Championship.
Difference is Florida had an innovative coach and Fulmer was overly conservative. I like Phill he just didn’t maximize what he had

Loved watching Shuler play. He had a cannon and wasn't scared to tuck it and put a foot through your face mask. He was tough, easy #2 and there is no debate.

Shuler’s problem in DC was Norv Turner who wanted him to be Troy Aikman, which was not a fit. Plus, Sonny Jurgensen who was on the radio team, made it known he preferred Gus Frerotte during their first training camp. Yes, they drafted Gus in the same draft and created all kinds of problems.
I've had a couple chances to have conversations with Heath (no we're not friends, it's unlikely he'd even remember my name).

He made no bones about it, he stunk it up in Washington and he struggled to do what Turner wanted him to do.

His thing was, he didn't understand why the Skins even wanted him. Turner was adamant he never leave the pocket, never extend a play, everything was timing, etc. He said a couple times in practice his protection broke down, he scrambled a bit and threw a touchdown...and Turner yelled at him and made them run the play over. He'd rather him throw it away than break the pocket and make a play.

People say "he should have come back" and maybe that's true but who knows. The next year Kerry Collins and Steve McNair were high picks. The year Shuler opted to go was a weak year for QBs in the draft.

I think a lot of people discredit Heath because:

He hurt their feelings by not coming back his Sr year (but I contend that if Colquitt stayed heathy we only lose 1 game that year)

He was a bust in the NFL. So was Tebow and countless others. The logic is weird... was Pat Ryan a better college QB than Tebow because he was able to stay on the Jets roster for a decade plus at a low salary?

And lastly...well I won't open that can of worms here.

One thing he did say is that when the Raiders picked him up in 1999, he felt so comfortable in Gruden's system. He said he finally felt "at home" in that type of offense and loved it. No, he wouldn't have beaten out Rich Gannon, but he certainly could have made the roster and extended his career. Who knows what could have happened, but he was tackled in a pre-season game and dislocated/tore tendons on every toe on one foot. I saw him years later (guessing it was 2-3 years) and he still walked with a noticeable limp at that time.

Yea because he had a good OC and NFL talent against a weaker schedule. And the Heisman was one of the weakest talent pool in recent memory that year. Check his big wins and stats vs the other top UT QBs

The stats you attached earlier showed Shuler among the top 2 or 3 All-time UT QBs in several important categories: QBR, TD to Int Ratio, Completion %. He just didn’t have a lot of pass attempts playing basically two years in an I-formation.

He was one of the best running QBs we ever had, probably the toughest one.

He was a leader who the entire team rallied around, and a winner. No, he didn’t play on a loaded Vol roster in 1992-1993 or against a “weaker schedule”.

And several hundred Heisman voters thought he was the 2nd most outstanding player in college football in 1993. Runner up Heisman is pretty special, regardless of the year.

Just me, but I don’t really count what a guy does in the pros, only a Vol uniform, when ranking all time Vols. Obviously it’s quite a different list when ranking Vols according to their NFL accomplishments.

^^^This right here^^^

For those of you too young to know, Tim Tebow was a poor man's Heath Shuler. Heath had a better arm and better wheels, loved to put his head down and truck linebackers. Heath was a generation ahead of his time. He would have been lethal in one of today's spread offenses. Cut mixed in some QB draw's and even a few triple option plays for him to supplement traditional pro style and take advantage of his natural talent.

Does anyone in the know have insight as to how mobile Navy is or if his arm is good enough for the SEC?

^^^This right here^^^

For those of you too young to know, Tim Tebow was a poor man's Heath Shuler. Heath had a better arm and better wheels, loved to put his head down and truck linebackers. Heath was a generation ahead of his time. He would have been lethal in one of today's spread offenses. Cut mixed in some QB draw's and even a few triple option plays for him to supplement traditional pro style and take advantage of his natural talent.

Does anyone in the know have insight as to how mobile Navy is or if his arm is good enough for the SEC?
Woah now, I'm a huge Shuler fan but let's not discredit what Tebow did. He outrushed Shuler by 2600 yards.

Shuler was mobile, but Dobbs was hands down the best running QB we had and 2nd isn't close.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Woah now, I'm a huge Shuler fan but let's not discredit what Tebow did. He outrushed Shuler by 2600 yards.

Shuler was mobile, but Dobbs was hands down the best running QB we had and 2nd isn't close.

Shuler played 2 years in a pro style offense at Tennessee. Tebow played 4 in a spread. Dobbs played a good bit his entire career here in a spread. Its not really comparable. Shuler's running ability compares favorably to Dobbs.

Reactions: BJSforVols
Shuler played 2 years in a pro style offense at Tennessee. Tebow played 4 in a spread. Dobbs played a good bit his entire career here in a spread. Its not really comparable. Shuler's running ability compares favorably to Dobbs.
I get that they played in different offenses, but a guy wins the Heisman and out rushes you by 2000+ yards....well maybe we use the phrase "a poor man's" differently.

If you go back a look at Dobbs, Butch rarely called designed runs. I'm mean like never ever, it's the most bizarre zone read system ever...there was no read. The vast majority of the runs Dobbs made were when things broke down.

I know they were different styles and different eras, but Condredge/Shuler/Streeter/Robinson combined for 2,910 yards. Dobbs had 2160.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Not even close. Dobbs was a better runner.

He was “runner up” @ NYC Athletic Club! Your making excuses like someone needing to stay in their “safe space”
Heath Shuler was one of the most exciting QB’s to ever suit up on the hill. I began watching the swamp rat when I was still single digits - I remember them all, and can say with certainty that Heath was one of the best college QB’s alive in the early 90’s. Aside from Casey, who in my opinion is my favorite all time QB, who else has beat our rivals on their home field?

Not even close. Dobbs was a better runner.
Perhaps a better scrambler, but you obviously do not recall Heath running what was basically an option play and going around end/over tackle, wherever he wanted. He was a fullback playing QB (or LB as most of the team thought he was when he first arrived )

Reactions: BJSforVols

VN Store

Back