Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

We kind of blew it in 2018-2019 season. We had a Final Four team and choked both in SEC Tournament Championship and then against Purdue in the NCAA Tournament. That was the team that should have broken through. Admiral Schofield had some issues that coaching would have resolved.

We haven't gotten that kind of talent (even though our current players are rated more highly ironically) since then.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
We kind of blew it in 2018-2019 season. We had a Final Four team and choked both in SEC Tournament Championship and then against Purdue in the NCAA Tournament. That was the team that should have broken through. Admiral Schofield had some issues that coaching would have resolved.

We haven't gotten that kind of talent (even though our current players are rated more highly ironically) since then.

I don’t know if it’s fair to say TN choked versus Purdue. PU took the eventual national champion to overtime in their next game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Lol again he can coach for another 20 years and I'll be happy but I keep thinking "maybe this is the year they make that deep run" only to be disappointed. Why can't he get any consistent offensive play?

With the new rules we the fans should complain less. If we have a problem go to the best players in America and ink them to NIL deals to get them here. Bring in the players to get us to the Final Four. Open that wallet.

He is definitely “above average” for coaching years . He’s just not in the same class as the coaches that he is being paid equally to such as Coach K, Jay Wright, Calipari, Roy Williams

So...since your "logic" dictates that pay is exclusively commensurate to results as proven by the dozens and dozens of posts on VN, it is laughably asinine by your very own "logic" to ever compare CRB's success to the success of Coach K, Wright, and Calipari when his pay is respectively 67%, 78%, 58% of their pay (hint: this is only 1 reason why your argument is ignorant but I'm sure you will carry on anyway...lol).

Last edited:
He’s averaging just over 20 wins a season. He’s been to 1 Final 4 in 33 years. That’s “ average”. Just because he has longevity doesn’t automatically make him a HOF coach

Riddle me this - how does an, at best, average coach as you describe it manage to have such longevity as a head coach for 33 years in one of the most competitive professions in our country? Obvious answer: He's not average...lol.

Ideologues and zealots always struggle with reality...before CRB took over the rebuilding effort at UT, he was a Top 60 of all-time coaches since 1956 for tournament winning %'age (CRB record was 50%) with at least 20 tournament games played and he is still Top 75 all-time as of last season's end but please tell all of us more about your feelings that he is average...lol.

Riddle me this - how does an, at best, average coach as you describe it manage to have such longevity as a head coach for 33 years in one of the most competitive professions in our country? Obvious answer: He's not average...lol.

Ideologues and zealots always struggle with reality...before CRB took over the rebuilding effort at UT, he was a Top 60 of all-time coaches since 1956 for tournament winning %'age (CRB record was 50%) with at least 20 tournament games played and he is still Top 75 all-time as of last season's end but please tell all of us more about your feelings that he is average...lol.
I love the ones who complain about his overall record at UT. There was no way he or any coach was going dancing the first 2 years, given what was laid in his lap. While others criticized those 2 years, I looked at reality and was surprised he turned an anemic program around so quickly. I can name a dozen coaches right now who are easily underperforming their contracts not named Barnes.

Barnes is the result of his own discrepancies when it comes to coaching. Every great big man he has recruited to UT has not panned out for whatever reason. BHH is a 5 star player that is playing behind Uros Plavisc. Poor Rick Barnes

Ridiculous analysis. Until BHH, Barnes didn't recruit a "great big man" to UT. BHH is his first 5 star big, and he is a freshman. it's DECEMBER of his FRESHMAN year, so he's playing behind other bigs, FOR NOW.

Wow, Top 75 coaches all-time winning %. Definitely deserves top 5 pay then

Reactions: patrick
So...since your "logic" dictates that pay is exclusively commensurate to results as proven by the dozens and dozens of posts on VN, it is laughably asinine by your very own "logic" to ever compare CRB's success to the success of Coach K, Wright, and Calipari when his pay is respectively 67%, 78%, 58% of their pay (hint: this is only 1 reason why your argument is ignorant but I'm sure you will carry on anyway...lol).
Well Barnes actually makes more than Williams. ( which is laughable in itself). The other 3 coaches have accumulated 21 Final 4’s and 7 National Championships between them. Barnes does not even fit in that class

Well Barnes actually makes more than Williams. ( which is laughable in itself). The other 3 coaches have accumulated 21 Final 4’s and 7 National Championships between them. Barnes does not even fit in that class

Nice strawman argument...lol. As silly as VN can be at times, I have NEVER seen anyone try to claim CRB is in the same class as those coaches. And, again, you are contradicting your own "logic" when you mention those coaches and/or their results since CRB is only paid a fraction of what they make (that's me just applying your rules...lol).

Reasonable fans know what CRB is (strengths and weaknesses and, yes, his lack of post-season success is undoubtedly his biggest issue), what he has done (turnaround a Power 5 dumpster fire program in very short order and make them relevant on the national stage with arguably our best recruiting results EVER), and how the real world works (e.g., one's pay is based on market and strategic dynamics). You can't have it both ways (which you conveniently always try to ignore), either we should have paid CRB and kept him or we should have let him go and launched a new coaching search when our history tells us the program would have taken a huge step backward (or you can ask Texas how that "can't miss" Shaka Smart hire turned out...lol).

Bottom line...Fulmer paid CRB and then White extended him because they had the money and because they both saw CRB as the most probable path to achieving the best results, and, possibly, the greatest in our program's history - time will tell if we do.

(I had to edit...forgot Fulmer was still AD and White later extended CRB's contract)

Last edited:
UNC didn’t have to pay Williams big bucks because they knew he was never going to leave for another job.

I can’t believe there are people who would rather have had Phil Freaking Fulmer attempt a basketball coaching search than pay Barnes

Thanks for pointing out it was Fulmer who paid CRB instead of White (I tried to repress that time in my memory...lol)

Ultimately it is going to be that Barnes’s salary was just increased the earliest, not the most. The pandemic slowed down the raises but based on football it’s about to pick up steam. The NCAA didn’t have a tournament in 2020 (or the billion dollars to share with athletic departments) and the timing of UCLA’s interest couldn’t have been more fortunate for him. Barnes may not even be in the top 10 after the next wave of coaching salary bidding wars.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Wonder if Scott Drew will stay at Baylor if he wins back to backs. He's one of the most under paid in the game last I looked. Baylor will have to pony up to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Perhaps, but he might fake it all the way to an SEC championship and final 4 this year. And he's likely got the top pick in the draft on campus. Seems to be doin' sumthin' right.
If Pearl gets his second Final 4 at Auburn, will the Barnes worshippers finally admit Pearl> Barnes?

VN Store

Back