Whats the identity of this team???

If he pump fakes and drives to the bucket instead of shooting it with 6 seconds left, I think he gets a better look or a dump off for an open layup. Oh well.

That was a crusher. Just bad basketball mentally. There were a hundred other opportunities to win the game as badly as Tech played. We just one upped them and played worse every time.

I’m good with living and dieing by the three. Worked for auburn. Let’s go and rebound. Our defense seems good.

That’s BS. With a D1 basketball team that is capable, you take open shots. You don’t tell your shooters to quit when they literally have open looks.
No you make adjustments. It doesn't matter if you're capable, or you're our of rhythm and ice cold you try to find easier shots to get your rhythm back.. this is very simple. When have you ever seen a team that's shooting 2-22 in the second half suddenly turn it around and start hitting them? It just doesn't happen.

We may see this continue against teams with length who play good defense. Because of Chandler, and Ziegler’s size they will struggle to shoot over long defenders. Vescovi has a slow release and is more of a set shooter. Powell is capable of catching and shooting over people, but doesn’t create his own shot off the dribble very well.

Everyone else is not consistent from the perimeter. That includes Bailey. Way to streaky. Now, I do believe there were a lot of open looks that we normally wouldn’t miss to that extent, but it was obvious Tech’s length was bothering us and in our heads. They were a pretty physical team, which can affect free throw shooting as well; as it did.

Reactions: savannahfan
Just wonder what workout's they did the prior day...how you miss all those FT's and 3's is beyond me. As ugly a game as I've seen. Give much credit to TT for cutting off the lanes, challenging shots and giving us no second chance shots, but still, many, many WIDE OPEN looks. TT just gave blueprint for defending Chandler, and guess if we have to win by 3's, it's not our thing. The JJJ blown layup was a microcosm of the game.

we don't have a post game that can be counted on. They will play defense and swim or sink with perimeter shooting. Chandler will be the team leader by late January assuming he has leadership skills. IMO the team leaders from last year were freshman and both of them left.

No post players are capable enough on this team to run the offense through the post
This. We're still a streaky shooting back court and very average front court. We'll struggle with teams that play good D and have legitimate big boys. and any team that can put the brakes on KC.

I strongly disagree. For his body and what he is, I think he plays really tough. I don't see him near "soft". JMO
Heart of a lion. Body of Glass. Middle name hard luck. Love the guy but that's his history since he's been here.

He gets pushed around in the paint like a rag doll. He is completely a finesse player

Agreed that he gets pushed around a lot but it's usually always by bigger players. My opinion of "soft" doesn't have anything to do with his physical limits. As long as his heart is in it. Dude literally had face reconstruction, broken wrist and more. He's out there swinging still and putting it on the line.

Agreed that he gets pushed around a lot but it's usually always by bigger players. My opinion of "soft" doesn't have anything to do with his physical limits. As long as his heart is in it. Dude literally had face reconstruction, broken wrist and more. He's out there swinging still and putting it on the line.
Yeah, Fulky is a finesse player because he lacks the physical ability to be a banger. That isn’t the definition of soft. You give Fulk a path to the basket and he’ll throw it down on you. He’s still extremely uncoordinated, even at age 24, but that seems unlikely to change.

Soft is a player like Uros, who despite being 7-0, 250 lbs, wants to ease every shot to the basket and lay in everything. The only time he gets physical is when he’s taking a cheap shot on someone or committing a stupid foul. All bark and no bite with that guy.

Yeah, Fulky is a finesse player because he lacks the physical ability to be a banger. That isn’t the definition of soft. You give Fulk a path to the basket and he’ll throw it down on you. He’s still extremely uncoordinated, even at age 24, but that seems unlikely to change.

Soft is a player like Uros, who despite being 7-0, 250 lbs, wants to ease every shot to the basket and lay in everything. The only time he gets physical is when he’s taking a cheap shot on someone or committing a stupid foul. All bark and no bite with that guy.
I understand the respect for your upperclassmen, but can't figure why Uros is playing in front of HH. and poor On is consistent as TN weather.

That’s BS. With a D1 basketball team that is capable, you take open shots. You don’t tell your shooters to quit when they literally have open looks.

And if you do tell them to quit taking open looks you will create a problem that won't be likely to go away with some rest and refocus. This team doesn't have the parts to simply power inside. None of our bigger players are establishing a power presence in the paint. Make 1 more shot out of 40 or, in other words, raise last night's percentage by less than 2% and we win. Weird night unlikely to be repeated.

Reactions: cardvolfan

I wonder if this is because he can't jump. At 7' most guys are not use to needing to jump for anything. That is in the real world or in most basketball environments. ( below the bigtime collage level) From this level, 7' 250 ant so big. Just another biggun. All being said I don't think he can jump.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
And if you do tell them to quit taking open looks you will create a problem that won't be likely to go away with some rest and refocus. This team doesn't have the parts to simply power inside. None of our bigger players are establishing a power presence in the paint. Make 1 more shot out of 40 or, in other words, raise last night's percentage by less than 2% and we win. Weird night unlikely to be repeated.
I like that Barnes told them to keep shooting when they got open looks. As you said, telling them to quit shooting gets them into troubling waters.

It's too early to tell. A work in progress. Hell, I'm not sure our rotation is even close to being settled at this point. I know one thing tho....Barnes better start force feeding HH before league play begins. We can expect much with ON and Plavi as our front court.

I wonder if this is because he can't jump. At 7' most guys are not use to needing to jump for anything. That is in the real world or in most basketball environments. ( below the bigtime collage level) From this level, 7' 250 ant so big. Just another biggun. All being said I don't think he can jump.
Still, at 7’, he should be able to reach and almost touch the rim without jumping. Even if he has a 12” vertical, which would be all-time pathetic, he ought to be able to throw down a dunk instead of trying to lay the ball in. I know he physically can dunk, he did it after the whistle last night after being called for an offensive foul. He just rarely does it in a game and I think it has to do with his euro-ball experience. The international game is much more finesse than power and he has never learned to become a power player in the states. Probably because he has always gotten by with size alone.

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back