College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

With those kids he brought in this year its honestly hard to figure how they can lose those two games. I think lack of a true point guard, turnovers, and no one knowing how to play WITHOUT the ball have been their downfall. I did hear a national podcast today (rarely listen to those things) say they are playing like an AAU team. Wonder if Larry Brown is saying to himself "what could I have been thinking coming out of retirement". When the talent is this high though they can still win a lot of games...literally on talent ALONE!
They will win a lot of games on talent alone when they get to the conference schedule. Then they’ll be spewing again how great they are and it’s Final Four again. That’s until they get to good well coached teams. They play like an AAU team because that’s Penny’s ceiling.

Larry Brown isn’t an AAU level coach. I’d be shocked if he’s not providing them with the specifics of their failures along with providing a detailed plan for success. Whether these guys and Penny buy into what the old gieser is saying is hard to guess. If they listen then Brown can absolutely show them the path to reaching their potential and that’s the scary thing about Memphis State this season IMHO

Larry Brown isn’t an AAU level coach. I’d be shocked if he’s not providing them with the specifics of their failures along with providing a detailed plan for success. Whether these guys and Penny buy into what the old gieser is saying is hard to guess. If they listen then Brown can absolutely show them the path to reaching their potential and that’s the scary thing about Memphis State this season IMHO
1. I think Larry Brown may be too old to really to really lead the team.
2. I don’t think Penny will let Larry become defacto coach due to ego etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
1. I think Larry Brown may be too old to really to really lead the team.
2. I don’t think Penny will let Larry become deaf to coach due to ego etc.
You may well be right. I understood most folks thought Penny didn’t know how to coach and that was holding Memphis State back. Nobody can say Larry Brown doesn’t know how. I’m not thinking Penny just hands the keys over to LB, but Penny isn’t stumbling around in the dark with a resource like LB to tap for directions.

Sure they could IF they listen to Brown. But it is pretty obvious Penny isn’t. Or maybe Brown’s style is not something the new breed of players wants to listen to. Either way it’s not happening so far. I just hope it doesn’t click in till January.

Sure they could IF they listen to Brown. But it is pretty obvious Penny isn’t. Or maybe Brown’s style is not something the new breed of players wants to listen to. Either way it’s not happening so far. I just hope it doesn’t click in till January.
You have a child in a man’s body running that program. Therein lies the crux of the problem.

VN Store

Back