The Official #13 Tennessee @ Colorado Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, FS1

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#13 Tennessee Volunteers: 5-1 (0-0 SEC)

FFfByN0XEAoB7pI

@

Colorado Buffalos: 6-2 (1-1 PAC12)

FFkxztfWQAMBPAR

GAME 7 | TENNESSEE at COLORADO - Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021 | 2p.m. ET / Noon MT | CU Events Center (11,064)

Line: UT -5.5
O/U: 136.5

TV: FS1 / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 138 / XM: 191 / Internet: ---
Online: FOXsports app

Colorado Game Notes

FE5wa3TWUAI2pMi

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• UT leads its all-time series with Colorado, 3-0, dating to 1980. Prior to last year's UT season-opener, the programs had not met since 1981.
• Last year's clash came together less than 72 hours before tipoff. See "Last Meeting" note below.
• Colorado head coach Tad Boyle was Tennessee's administrative assistant/director of basketball operations under head coach Jerry Green during the 1997-98 season. That team finished 20-9 and earned an NCAA Tournament berth.
• Saturday's game will be just the second game the Vols have ever played in The Centennial State. Tennessee logged a 64-63 win in Boulder on Dec. 8, 1981.
• To complete this current three-game series contract, Tennessee and Colorado will meet for a neutral-site showdown next season at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena.

SCOUTING REPORT

• The Vols' 20.2 assists per game rank fourth nationally and lead the SEC. Tennessee also owns the best assist/turnover ratio in the SEC (1.73, ninth nationally).
• 47 percent of Tennessee's points this season have been scored by first-year Vols (229 of 492).
• UT's backcourt duo of Kennedy Chandler and Santiago Vescovi is averaging 29.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game while shooting .394 from 3-point range.
• Senior Victor Bailey Jr. is coming off a season-high 14-point outing Tuesday. The Pac-12 veteran played his first two seasons at Oregon and has 842 career points.
• Vols junior Josiah-Jordan James has been sidelined with a left (shooting) hand injury. He has missed UT's last three games.
• The Vols recorded 42 pass deflections during Tuesday's win over Presbyterian, including 27 in the second half.

LAYUP LINES

• The Vols are embarking on a six-day, two-game, 3,909-mile road trip that takes them from Rocky Top to Boulder, Colorado, and then to New York City before returning home.
• At 5,400 feet above mean sea level, CU Events Center has the fifth-highest elevation among Division I arenas. The venue owns the No. 1 rating in KenPom's homecourt advantage metric.
• Tennessee produced a pair of Colorado pro sports legends in Todd Helton and Peyton Manning.

A WIN WOULD...

• Push Tennessee's all-time record against current members of the Pac-12 Conference to 21-12.
• Give the Vols their fifth major-conference true road win of the Barnes era (Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Memphis).

ABOUT COLORADO

• Colorado head coach Tad Boyle is in his 12th season as the Buffaloes head coach. During the 1997-98 season, Boyle served as an assistant at Tennessee on the staff of former Vols' coach Jerry Green.
• Boyle has compiled a 239-145 record as Colorado's head coach. The Buffaloes have logged 22 wins over ranked opponents during his tenure.
• Also on Colorado's staff is former Mississippi State and Southeast Missouri State head coach Rick Ray. Tennessee compiled a 4-1 record against Ray during his time at Mississippi State.
• Of Colorado's eight games this season, only two have come against major conference teams—a pair of Pac-12 conference games against Stanford and UCLA. The Buffaloes defeated Stanford, 80-76, on Sunday before falling to No. 5 UCLA on Wednesday, 73-61.
• The Buffaloes' other loss came to Southern Illinois on Nov. 19 in the Paradise Jam, 67-63.
• Sophomore forward Jabari Walker, who was named to the 2020-21 Pac-12 All-Freshman Team as well as selected as an honorable mention on the 2021-22 preseason All-Pac-12 team, is leading the Buffaloes in scoring (14.9 ppg) and rebounding (9.5 rpg) through eight games.
• Just behind Walker in scoring is senior forward Evan Battey, a preseason All-Pac-12 team selection who is averaging 13.5 points per game.
• Colorado has kept the same starting five in each of its eight games this season—Walker, Battey, senior guard Elijah Parquet, sophomore guard Keeshawn Barthelemy and sophomore forward Tristan da Silva.

Gotta think conditioning will play a factor in both games. Colorado is used to practicing at a much higher elevation, so they might have an advantage there. Does anyone know if they pump oxygen into the arenas? That might even things out.

Then, we have to fly all the way to the other end of the country with little time to both rest and prepare for Texas Tech.
Ideally, it would be nice to get a huge lead on Colorado so that our starters don’t have to play a ton of minutes.

I'm really surprised that we are not a bigger favorite. Colorado's schedule has really been a joke so far.

Reactions: vols 30
Gotta think conditioning will play a factor in both games. Colorado is used to practicing at a much higher elevation, so they might have an advantage there. Does anyone know if they pump oxygen into the arenas? That might even things out.

Then, we have to fly all the way to the other end of the country with little time to both rest and prepare for Texas Tech.
Ideally, it would be nice to get a huge lead on Colorado so that our starters don’t have to play a ton of minutes.
Play hard, suck air and catch a blow. Repeat. Our depth will be helpful today. Huge home advantage at elevation.

I'm really surprised that we are not a bigger favorite. Colorado's schedule has really been a joke so far.

They played UCLA tough. And it’s a true road game. Those are always tall orders even for the elite programs. I expect this game to be a back and forth affair until it ends. I just hope we pull it out.

I think we have the talent edge and the depth. Hopefully Barnes has figured out his rotations and we start this stretch of tough games with a win!
Go Vols!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anyone going? I selfishly am really excited to finally see Tennessee here in Colorado. As a Tennessee fan by birth and a graduate of CU, I'm having trouble finding the right attire to wear

I think we have the talent edge and the depth. Hopefully Barnes has figured out his rotations and we start this stretch of tough games with a win!
Go Vols!
Vols have the talent edge for sure, but CU nothing too scoff at. Boyle will have the Buffs playing good defense and use the altitude to his advantage. Buffs had #1 class in Pac12 this past season, top 15 overall. Should be fun!

VN Store

Back