We played 3 championship weekend teams

Yes, I know, we lost all 3. And I wouldn’t ever want to play in any other league. But wouldn’t it be cool to imagine playing Maryland Illinois and Indiana instead?
And lower the standard.
Next question:
1) Be a slightly-above average team in a weak conference and be recognized because the surrounding teams are sub-par
2) Be in a conference where everything is a challenge, where everything is scrutinized, and where you’re good because you’re good?

And lower the standard.
Next question:
1) Be a slightly-above average team in a weak conference and be recognized because the surrounding teams are sub-par
2) Be in a conference where everything is a challenge, where everything is scrutinized, and where you’re good because you’re good?
Be careful with the lower your standards statement. I've already stated a lot of UT fans and posters here are perfectly fine with MORAL victories against the big 3 and I have been scrutinized tremendously for it. But to answer your question there would be plenty of people here be just fine moving to a different conference. It's a hell no for me.

Be careful with the lower your standards statement. I've already stated a lot of UT fans and posters here are perfectly fine with MORAL victories against the big 3 and I have been scrutinized tremendously for it. But to answer your question there would be plenty of people here be just fine moving to a different conference. It's a hell no for me.
Same here, Volsfannn. Pecking orders are important. To willingly choose mediocrity over pursuing excellence is slow suicide.

Exa
Same here, Volsfannn. Pecking orders are important. To willingly choose mediocrity over pursuing excellence is slow suicide.
Exactly. But some people here are satisfied with mediocrity. I never in my lifetime thought I would see the day that beating Kentucky in a game of football was the mark of a good season. But most people on here strongly disagree with me. My argument is no matter how you spin it a 25 point loss is still a 25 point loss no matter if it came over the course of 4 quarters or in the 4th quarter alone.

Who in their right mind would want to move conferences? The most glorious thing I’ve seen was last year when it was all SEC. Screw the other conferences. Let’s just play each other as we know the SEC is by far the best conference.

Interesting topic, OP.

The only other teams I can think of that have played 3 Championship weekend teams are Clemson (UGA, Pitt, & Wake) & Miami (Bama, App State, Pitt). Out of these, UT's resume is the strongest. I'm trying to think if there are any others.

Yes, I know, we lost all 3. And I wouldn’t ever want to play in any other league. But wouldn’t it be cool to imagine playing Maryland Illinois and Indiana instead?

Not really. Beating them would be kinda like playing Vanderbilt three times. Those three might be slightly better but the wins are not much more significant. If you want to be the best, you take on and beat the best. Instead some of us want to beat mediocre teams and claim what a great win that was. Some of us want to eat cupcakes every week, and act surprised when they become diabetics.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
You are so wrong on so many fronts. The vast majority of the fans on this site would like nothing more than to obliterate the terrible trio on a yearly basis. But unlike "fans" of your ilk, the people who actually have more than one functioning brain cell and actually think things through can see when there is no way to compete with them until we get more jimmies and joes. I truly believe we have a coach that can bring enough excitement to draw in more of those better players and the time is shorter to getting back to being dominant. Most of us do not expect a new coach coming into a dumpster fire like the one CJH came into and expect us to go undefeated. We will be back dominating the SEC, but in the interim, I won't whine and cry because we aren't bulletproof, yet.

Exa

Exactly. But some people here are satisfied with mediocrity. I never in my lifetime thought I would see the day that beating Kentucky in a game of football was the mark of a good season. But most people on here strongly disagree with me. My argument is no matter how you spin it a 25 point loss is still a 25 point loss no matter if it came over the course of 4 quarters or in the 4th quarter alone.
Kentucky went 9-3, that's not your Daddy's UK team. Too many people live off past perceptions of teams rather than look at the match ups in games between the current players & coaches. People were counting Pitt as an easy win too, they supposedly sucked because of the name on their jerseys. No doubt some younger players and CFB fans who weren't alive to see the Fulmer years think UT is an also ran as well. Things change. We took a step in the right direction this year. Anyone who can't see that is blind.

Last edited:
You are so wrong on so many fronts. The vast majority of the fans on this site would like nothing more than to obliterate the terrible trio on a yearly basis. But unlike "fans" of your ilk, the people who actually have more than one functioning brain cell and actually think things through can see when there is no way to compete with them until we get more jimmies and joes. I truly believe we have a coach that can bring enough excitement to draw in more of those better players and the time is shorter to getting back to being dominant. Most of us do not expect a new coach coming into a dumpster fire like the one CJH came into and expect us to go undefeated. We will be back dominating the SEC, but in the interim, I won't whine and cry because we aren't bulletproof, yet.
We haven't had capable JIMMIES and JOES in 15 years? Everyone was the same way with Dooley. Everyone was same way with Jones. And along came Pruitt and some of you proclaimed he was the football God coming to rescue Tennessee football. I'm not saying Heupel isn't the coach for the job but refusing to admit there wasn't some coaching blunders in some key moments is wrong. So take all the scores of this year and years past tell me exactly where this improvement is. Sure, they beat Kentucky, but it's it's sad day in Tennessee football when Kentucky is a milestone win. I get the offense is great, the defense is terrible. I remember the saying offense wins ballgames, defense wins championships. I just hope in 2 or 3 years if and if Tennessee isn't on the same page as the big 3, that you still have the same optimism.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Who in their right mind would want to move conferences? The most glorious thing I’ve seen was last year when it was all SEC. Screw the other conferences. Let’s just play each other as we know the SEC is by far the best conference.
You must not read into some of comments on this forum

Is it more fun to play Georgia and bama and lose… or play Maryland, Illinois and Indiana and win?
Interesting topic, OP.

The only other teams I can think of that have played 3 Championship weekend teams are Clemson (UGA, Pitt, & Wake) & Miami (Bama, App State, Pitt). Out of these, UT's resume is the strongest. I'm trying to think if there are any others.
We did! Should have beaten one of them! And nah, I want to be the best not just win.

Without 3 TOs and 13 penalties we definitely win. I agree that spot was horrible though.

I maintain that in those first 3 games, Tennessee was still getting acclimated to Heupel’s system. The light came on after the Florida game. Play Florida and Pitt later and this team is 9-3. Those 13 penalties were indicative of a team still trying to figure it out.

Also…remember the blocked kick TD that was called because of a penalty? Ugh. That’s right up there with the fumble return TD that was called back against Ole Miss. This team is an eyelash and some bad breaks from 10-2. I think we hit that record next year.

VN Store

Back