Who Gets Into the Playoffs if This Happens?

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
If Iowa beats Michigan, if Baylor beats OSU, if Oregon beats Utah, if Houston beats Cinci, and Georgia beats Bama…

Georgia will be the only outright team in the CFP. Cinci may slide out and ND will slither it’s way into the playoffs—benefitting from not having to play a conference title game. Or, if the Houston game is close, does a one loss Cinci team stay in and Notre Dame gets the 4th spot? I would think in that case a one loss Houston team who just beat an undefeated #4 Cincinnati team should get in—especially if they beat them convincingly. But then there is the bad Houston loss to a .500 team at home for their first game of the season. Their SMU win looks less impressive now that SMU has 4 losses. All other ranked teams with one loss like Wake, UTSA, SDSU, and UL are not ranked high enough and lack SoC.

So if not Houston with a top 4 win, who gets in? Baylor with the bad L to TCU? Looks better than Oregon after being destroyed by Utah with the bad L to Stanford. Pitt with a loss to WMU and Miami will never get it. Neither will a WF team whose only quality win was over the previously mentioned team and who also lost to a 6-6 NC team. Iowa’s two losses to two 4 loss Big 10 teams don’t look as bad as either Pitt’s or Wake’s. Depending on whether or not the SEC championship is close, Bama would have to be considered as their only loss would have been to undefeated Georgia and a 4-loss A&M team.

So with the above said, is it possible to have Georgia, Notre Dame and…

Houston
Baylor
Bama
Iowa
???

This could be the strangest CFP yet and even more cause for CFP expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
If Iowa St. beats Michigan, if Baylor beats OSU, if Oregon beats Utah, if Houston beats Cinci, and Georgia beats Bama…

Georgia will be the only outright team in the CFP. Cinci may slide out and ND will slither it’s way into the playoffs—benefitting from not having to play a conference title game. Or, if the Houston game is close, does a one loss Cinci team stay in and Notre Dame gets the 4th spot? I would think in that case a one loss Houston team who just beat an undefeated #4 Cincinnati team should get in—especially if they beat them convincingly. But then there is the bad Houston loss to a .500 team at home for their first game of the season. Their SMU win looks less impressive now that SMU has 4 losses. All other ranked teams with one loss like Wake, UTSA, SDSU, and UL are not ranked high enough and lack SoC.

So if not Houston with a top 4 win, who gets in? Baylor with the bad L to TCU? Looks better than Oregon after being destroyed by Utah with the bad L to Stanford. Pitt with a loss to WMU and Miami will never get it. Neither will a WF team whose only quality win was over the previously mentioned team and who also lost to a 6-6 NC team. Iowa’s two losses to two 4 loss Big 10 teams don’t look as bad as either Pitt’s or Wake’s. Depending on whether or not the SEC championship is close, Bama would have to be considered as their only loss would have been to undefeated Georgia and a 4-loss A&M team.

So with the above said, is it possible to have Georgia, Notre Dame and…

Houston
Baylor
Bama
Iowa
???

This could be the strangest CFP yet and even more cause for CFP expansion.
If it's not an undefeated cinci no G5 school is making it.

A close loss by Bama would probably keep them in in that scenario.

I would say Baylor would be in.

And no way they leave out the Big10 with how much fluffing they get. But I cant see it being Iowa. Not sexy enough.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
If it's not an undefeated cinci no G5 school is making it.

A close loss by Bama would probably keep them in in that scenario.

I would say Baylor would be in.

And no way they leave out the Big10 with how much fluffing they get. But I cant see it being Iowa. Not sexy enough.

So possibly Bama, Baylor, ND and Georgia?

1. Michigan
2. Bama
3. ND
4. Georgia

G1: Georgia v Michigan
G2: Bama v ND

Champion: ND

** It would be absolutely hilarious if both SEC teams lost and Freeman won a title without Kelly

Christmas would come twice.

*** Obviously the chances are slim but in reality it’s Bamas title til it ain’t and I am not betting on Smart in crunch time ever

Reactions: tntar heel and MAD
I basically commented on this scenario in another thread that someone said Bama was 100% out if they lose to Georgia. I pointed out scenario you said minus the Pac 12 game I feel its irrelevant at this point. Even if Oregon wins I dont see them getting in. In the scenario you have played out Cincy is gone. They have to be perfect with their terrible SOS. No room for error for them. So this is how I see it. I also cant see Iowa getting in. Early on they looked like class of Big 10. But when it went south it went south on them bad.

1. Georgia
2. Baylor
3. Bama
4. Notre Dame

As bizarre as that is keeping Bama at 3 even after a loss. The playoff committee I dont see them forcing Georgia to have to beat Bama back to back just to get to Title game. And Notre Dame has accomplished the least but thr playoff committee I think follows an unwritten rule that gives ND the benefit of the doubt when they can. They shouldn't. They should have to play in a conference but they dont and they would like be in.

I basically commented on this scenario in another thread that someone said Bama was 100% out if they lose to Georgia. I pointed out scenario you said minus the Pac 12 game I feel its irrelevant at this point. Even if Oregon wins I dont see them getting in. In the scenario you have played out Cincy is gone. They have to be perfect with their terrible SOS. No room for error for them. So this is how I see it. I also cant see Iowa getting in. Early on they looked like class of Big 10. But when it went south it went south on them bad.

1. Georgia
2. Baylor
3. Bama
4. Notre Dame

As bizarre as that is keeping Bama at 3 even after a loss. The playoff committee I dont see them forcing Georgia to have to beat Bama back to back just to get to Title game. And Notre Dame has accomplished the least but thr playoff committee I think follows an unwritten rule that gives ND the benefit of the doubt when they can. They shouldn't. They should have to play in a conference but they dont and they would like be in.

1. Georgia
2. Baylor
3. Bama
4. Notre Dame

Thing is both Michigan and Ohio State would have better arguments than Bama with the L to 4 loss A&M. Ohio St. lost to current #2 and #10 teams in country. Michigan will have lost to current #11 and #13.

Thing is both Michigan and Ohio State would have better arguments than Bama with the L to 4 loss A&M. Ohio St. lost to current #2 and #10 teams in country. Michigan will have lost to current #11 and #13.
Strength of record pretty well accounts for that
71FB5D3E-FFD8-4B23-A0C1-AEF890618BC1.jpeg

Does anyone that has watched many of their games not just the preimier games not feel that either of those teams if were in a SEC schedule wouldn't have lost another game or 2. They would not go through the gauntlet. Ohio state losing at home to Oregon isnt better than losing a Night game at Kyle field in front of sellout crowd. That Bama game atmosphere was crazy.

Last edited:
Does anyone that has watched many of their games not just the preimier games not feel that either of those teams if were in a SEC schedule wouldn't have lost another game or 2. They would not ho through the gauntlet. Ohio state losing at home to Oregon isnt better than losing a Night game at Kyle field in front of sellout crowd. That Bama game atmosphere was crazy.
Funny I was just thinking of that argument. In essence is a 4 loss A&M team as good as a 2 loss OSU team? I personally have no idea how Oregon is still ranked as high as they are after getting beat by a 3-9 Stanford team getting destroyed by Utah only for Michigan to manhandle their only big win opponent one week later. These rankings are ridiculous.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
no 2-loss team has ever made the CFP

...but they would make Bama the exception

no 2-loss team has ever made the CFP

...but they would make Bama the exception
Well every season is different circumstances. Remember before playoff the year I think was 2007 Rich Rods west Virginia bunch choked away the backyard brawl and lost to Pitt. And Georgia and LSU both had 2 losses but because we beat UGA we played in SEC title game and lost to LSU they played for National Championship and won it with 2 losses.

If under playoff scenario these days its plausible UGA and LSU both make it in that year which woukd have been not 1 but 2 2 loss teams in the playoff. To many Georgia had the best team but since they didnt play for conference championship LSU jumped them. And of course rolled Ohio St for championship.

IF all that happened it may up like this:

1 Georgia
2 Notre Dame
3 Baylor
4 Michigan/Alabama

I guess it would depend on how badly Michigan and Alabama lost their games but in your scenario I believe one of them would still make it in with how high the committee thinks of them.

VN Store

Back