Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

She was injured a lot in high school as well. I wonder if she is going to be a player that will fight injuries throughout her career.

Porffenbarger was the same. You google her and it’s almost 100% articles about her being injured or recovering from injury. Will be surprised if she ever plays a full season in college.

Won’t be at all shocked if Fudd transfers. She and her parents aren’t liking the situation it seems. She’s too talented to ride the pine and Geno is backed into a corner because they made a huge deal about a freshman last season…acted like she walked on water even though she had room to grow. When players aren’t happy minor injuries tend to start keeping them out and then they are gone.

Felt like that’s what happened at Oklahoma last season. Several of their better players sat it out over what seemed like minor injuries. They just knew a coaching change was going to happen and were tired of playing for the Coales. They all look completely fine playing for Barancyzk…

Porffenbarger was the same. You google her and it’s almost 100% articles about her being injured or recovering from injury. Will be surprised if she ever plays a full season in college.

Won’t be at all shocked if Fudd transfers. She and her parents aren’t liking the situation it seems. She’s too talented to ride the pine and Geno is backed into a corner because they made a huge deal about a freshman last season…acted like she walked on water even though she had room to grow. When players aren’t happy minor injuries tend to start keeping them out and then they are gone.

Felt like that’s what happened at Oklahoma last season. Several of their better players sat it out over what seemed like minor injuries. They just knew a coaching change was going to happen and were tired of playing for the Coales. They all look completely fine playing for Barancyzk…

Are there rumblings of unhappiness? And who would you not start chrystyn or Evina? One of them would have to be on the pine unless they went 4 out and with a post.

Are there rumblings of unhappiness? And who would you not start chrystyn or Evina? One of them would have to be on the pine unless they went 4 out and with a post.
There's no reason they couldn't work Azzi in to the lineup the same as they did with Diana T. when she was a freshman. By February, Williams, Westbrook and Fudd could all be interchangeable at the 2/3 and basically all play 25 min/game with little drop off in productivity at that spot...assuming Azzi fixes her defense. Next season, she will be starting and playing closer to Paige minutes, and the two of them will be the go-to players for the team. I doubt her early lack of playing time will be a long-term issue this season. Caroline Ducharme is the one that will be odd woman out this season, but she should see a massive bump up in minutes come next season.

There are rumblings. Have started hearing her mom and dad are not happy with her playing time. Usually means an unhappy kid is calling home.

Also think the NIL stuff may end up causing them some problems too. With all the top players they get they are going to end up with teammates vying for lucrative contracts with the same companies. Will be interesting to watch how all that goes…

There's no reason they couldn't work Azzi in to the lineup the same as they did with Diana T. when she was a freshman. By February, Williams, Westbrook and Fudd could all be interchangeable at the 2/3 and basically all play 25 min/game with little drop off in productivity at that spot...assuming Azzi fixes her defense. Next season, she will be starting and playing closer to Paige minutes, and the two of them will be the go-to players for the team. I doubt her early lack of playing time will be a long-term issue this season. Caroline Ducharme is the one that will be odd woman out this season, but she should see a massive bump up in minutes come next season.

That's nice. But the reason i asked is because this is the 2nd or third person that has said something similar because promises haven't been seemingly kept.

It's not about next season it's about this season. Could it work possibly but i've heard that lovey dovey stuff being put off on social media all her teammates aren't as happy with the hype. This all could be talk but it's weird multiple people who don't even know each other have gotten the same word.

PS if your teammate isnt willing to sacrifice and others like parents get in the mix it ain't going to work

Fudd just signed an NIL deal with Steph Curries company and a large apparel maker. Buekers also just signed another, with Gatorade

i don't want to see any team implode but that's why you gotta be upfront. Some of the recruits didn't like the fact kellie didn't promise starting spots and etc. Now we are starting to see some of the effects of promises not being kept all around the country. This is not meant directly for UCONN but in general

Paige is already pulling in 7 figures. There are talks to have her own sneaker, if that happens she will be making more than her coach. She is the first freshman to ever win NPOY.
Rewind 4-9 months ago. Fudd was being heralded as maybe even better than Paige. She was being called generational and the hype was everywhere.
She and her parents were not oblivious to this. Their expectations must have been huge by then. Fast forward to today. You can see how there might be questions.

Last edited:
That's nice. But the reason i asked is because this is the 2nd or third person that has said something similar because promises haven't been seemingly kept.

It's not about next season it's about this season. Could it work possibly but i've heard that lovey dovey stuff being put off on social media all her teammates aren't as happy with the hype. This all could be talk but it's weird multiple people who don't even know each other have gotten the same word.

PS if your teammate isnt willing to sacrifice and others like parents get in the mix it ain't going to work
LOL I doubt that Geno promised Azzi that she would start right away when he knew that he still had Christyn and Evina for another year. And like I said, she can still play major minutes this season even if she isn't starting. If you take out the SC game, she was playing over 20 min/g, and that's early in the season. Besides, of all the players on the roster, Azzi isn't the one with a bone to pick about PT. That would be Mir, DeBerry, Ducharme and the now departed Poffenbarger. TBH, I wouldn't be shocked if the first 2 transferred out after the season.

I do agree that parents need to stay out of this and let the players/coaches do their jobs.

If these huge NIL deals keep stacking up for UCONN players it will be another huge recruiting advantage for them, and they never needed another advantage.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
LOL I doubt that Geno promised Azzi that she would start right away when he knew that he still had Christyn and Evina for another year. And like I said, she can still play major minutes this season even if she isn't starting. If you take out the SC game, she was playing over 20 min/g, and that's early in the season. Besides, of all the players on the roster, Azzi isn't the one with a bone to pick about PT. That would be Mir, DeBerry, Ducharme and the now departed Poffenbarger. TBH, I wouldn't be shocked if the first 2 transferred out after the season.

I do agree that parents need to stay out of this and let the players/coaches do their jobs.

Uh huh LOL ...People were after her services HARD even had a school or 2 promise parents positions on their staff that didn't come to fruition. He is Geno but even he knows when he really wants a player (see maya moore) 👀

How long she is gonna be out may also have an impact or how she was handled to where she got stress reactions... i think you and the uconn fans are the only ones that care if she stays or goes lol. I'm just saying what's been said.

If she stayed wouldn't be surprised if she transferred wouldn't be surprised. That's all i'm saying 🍿💥

If these huge NIL deals keep stacking up for UCONN players it will be another huge recruiting advantage for them, and they never needed another advantage.

I actually think it could be a DISADVANTAGE. Why would a super talented incoming freshman want to go there the next 3 years and sit the bench? They could go to a different school, get their own NIL deal and play more.

Will be hard to cut a deal if you’re not on the court much.

Last edited:
I actually think it could be a DISADVANTAGE. Why would a super talented incoming freshman want to go there the next 3 years and sit the bench. They could go to a different school, get their own NIL deal and play more.

That is true, NIL is new, and everyone is now watching to learn how this affects things. Your point is one of the interesting aspects of this.

Reactions: VolBall09

Azzi had a pick of schools to chose from and not ever 5 star goes to UConn has a starting spot waiting for them. She could've went to Duke and she would've had the team built around her. Her dad was even gauging interest to see which players was going to flock to Duke when Kara was first named the head coach.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I actually think it could be a DISADVANTAGE. Why would a super talented incoming freshman want to go there the next 3 years and sit the bench? They could go to a different school, get their own NIL deal and play more.

As more NIL deals start coming out, it will be interesting to see how many of them are basketball focused (i.e. Gatorade w Paige) and how many of them are player focused with basketball being secondary (Cavinder Twins). Seems like there are more than a few players that are picking up regional deals, but those probably don't have huge earnings potential. Women's basketball is still very much a niche sport, so being one of their stars isn't likely to play dividends unless you have another intangible going for you...especially if going for a National deal.

As more NIL deals start coming out, it will be interesting to see how many of them are basketball focused (i.e. Gatorade w Paige) and how many of them are player focused with basketball being secondary (Cavinder Twins). Seems like there are more than a few players that are picking up regional deals, but those probably don't have huge earnings potential. Women's basketball is still very much a niche sport, so being one of their stars isn't likely to play dividends unless you have another intangible going for you...especially if going for a National deal.

Yep. That’s going to eventually be a problem for the sport. Like it or not how women in sports “look” still matters more than their male counterparts. Nobody is putting KD on the worlds sexiest man issue lmao but he banks because he can ball.

Think it will be sad to see pretty girls getting deals over good players just because of appearance.

Long term I still think NIL will go away or be massively changed. We have no idea how it will affect the game. The next two-three seasons will determine that.

Yep. That’s going to eventually be a problem for the sport. Like it or not how women in sports “look” still matters more than their male counterparts. Nobody is putting KD on the worlds sexiest man issue lmao but he banks because he can ball.

Think it will be sad to see pretty girls getting deals over good players just because of appearance.

Long term I still think NIL will go away or be massively changed. We have no idea how it will affect the game. The next two-three seasons will determine that.
NIL was birthed by the anti-trust suit which was upheld in court. NIL is not going away, ever. It is law now.

Reactions: VolBall09

It's a shame that Aliyah Boston or NaLyssa Smith will have limited endorsement potential because of that in spite of being some of the best players in WCBB. Only explanation for why Eugenie Bouchard is still relevant when she hasn't done anything in the 7 years since making the Wimbledon final. It's amazing what looking good in a swimsuit on Instagram can do for you. I guess the flip side is that attractive women have more opportunities than attractive men if there is no secondary talent involved.

Having said that, Ionescu isn't exactly model material either, and she's doing well for herself...so maybe that trend is changing.

No. The procedural federal court ruling ref anti trust laid the groundwork for NLI laws passed by most states now, TN included.

VN Store

Back