Candace speaking her truth

So I guess when one could be winding down their career they start to tell their side. She has been gracious and quiet but i'm here for this!

Glad she said it.

Have said it before, I feel like this incident was the most glaring example of sexism and racism in the sport. And Geno got a total pass, everyone just acted like Candace was crazy and obviously she sucked or something. Or tried to say it wasn’t him. Plus they were exploiting her by having already used her image and likeness in all the ads but then left her off the roster. Wtf?

This situation made my blood boil. He was (and still is) just a small, mad, old, white man who was incredulous that anyone dare not worship the ground he walked on. When you’re dealing with the pros whether you “like” one another doesn’t matter one bit. Candace didn’t need his approval, not then and not now. No love lost between the two, but you don’t leave the best basketball player off the Olympic team. Period. Like she said, triple dub at camp, it wasn’t about anything on the court. Little man couldn’t handle a woman who knows herself and is confident in that.

Just like he couldn’t handle Pat.

Glad she said it.

Have said it before, I feel like this incident was the most glaring example of sexism and racism in the sport. And Geno got a total pass, everyone just acted like Candace was crazy and obviously she sucked or something. Or tried to say it wasn’t him. Plus they were exploiting her by having already used her image and likeness in all the ads but then left her off the roster. Wtf?

This situation made my blood boil. He was (and still is) just a small, mad, old, white man who was incredulous that anyone dare not worship the ground he walked on. When you’re dealing with the pros whether you “like” one another doesn’t matter one bit. Candace didn’t need his approval, not then and not now. No love lost between the two, but you don’t leave the best basketball player off the Olympic team. Period. Like she said, triple dub at camp, it wasn’t about anything on the court. Little man couldn’t handle a woman who knows herself and is confident in that.

Okk.. He hated Candace after she turned his recruit down, and Candace went to Uconn not only beating them there she dunked on them.

Glad she said it.

THIS! She didn’t appeal to his ego at all, which, I’m sure, lit up his insecurities. I think he detests the fact that Candace didn’t need him in order to rise to the top of the game. She knows she played for the best in Pat Summitt. The best coach AND leader. I think sometimes we forget even Candace and Pat had their moments. Thankfully, though, she had a coach who knew exactly how to handle it without internalizing it.

We never knew exactly what happened. If yall pay attention when Lisa & Tina Thompson were playing, how many Uconn players makes National team... Then compare that to when old angry Geno become part of the committee.. All Uconns full the training camp..My best game was Uconn Vs Rutgers..Anybody remember Cappie Pondexter yelled at Geno face 🤣 😂

Candace still living in the Connies heads ... So Candace can't comment on someone she played years with and became family with 😂😂😂

Phew... that dunk did more damage than we thought 😂

AE45FCA3-7A96-4F1C-A45A-57BF8D7B7148.png

Last edited:
Reactions: volfan__18
Glad she said it.

Thank you. MFin facts.

Auriemma has always gotten a pass from women's college basketball because of his legacy and what it would mean for the sport if he or his actions were ever challenged or exposed. Everyone involved with the sport of women's basketball, media in particular, are incredibly protective of what they perceive to be its credibility. I think in part this is because it has to fight tooth and nail for attention and engagement, a mentality which lends itself to an "us against the world" mentality. Anyway, because of Auriemma's history of dominance, to have any sort of improper behavior tied to him seems to be perceived (rightly or wrongly) from all involved as being a harmful thing for women's basketball So, everyone looks the other way. It's nothing new. Anyone who was around during a certain player's recruitment knows just how far people will look the other way when it comes to UConn.

Maybe he had the chance to stick it to her - and to Tennessee - and he took it. Maybe he was still smarting over that dunk in Hartford. Or maybe he believed that Parker getting publicity as an Olympic star and representing Tennessee to recruits was not in his best interests. One of the many advantages of being a controlling force in Team USA women's basketball. He had the influence to make that call and he did. And in a sense, he was right to think he could do it and get away with it, because, well ... he did. So.

Last edited:

The word "We don't like each other ".. I think started with Geno, and Candace noticed it. When two people hate one another, it must have started with one first. Maybe she rejected Geno's recruiting visit, Maybe she dunked on Geno's team and made an angry gesture towards little 5'6 Geno. But how can a grandfather hold anger towards a young freshman that time. I think Geno winning championship is over.

Reactions: mlindsay

VN Store

Back